Official Q&A Thread for July 13th Blog Post

Hello and welcome to the official Q&A thread for questions to be answered for the July 13th, 2012 Q&A blog post.

As a reminder, we’ll be starting up a weekly Q&A blog series in which we will select questions from the community and post answers to them every Friday. We’ll have the next set of answers next week on July 13th, 2012, but before that, we need your questions!

Please use this thread to ask your question (one per community member, so make it count!). On Monday at 2PM CDT (8PM BST/9PM CEST/5AM AEST), we will close this thread, select the questions, and get answers to them for Friday’s blog post.

In order to increase the chances of having your specific question answered and to help us keep the thread manageable, here are some guidelines on asking questions:

1. Keep your question relatively short. Background details are welcome, but don’t go overboard.
  2. Please actually ask a question. We want to hear constructive feedback elsewhere in the Forums.
  3. Use common sense – we cannot answer everything, especially on far-reaching content.
  4. This should go without saying, but be respectful.
  5. Limit yourself to one question in this thread, please. You can always ask another question next week!
  6. And finally, as a reminder, this is not a discussion thread. Do not comment about what somebody else has posted.

As development plans are always subject to change, questions about future features will often get vague answers which can be repetitive and sometimes annoying. With that in mind, the development team is more interested in questions about current in-game features or systems, or questions about why development decisions were made. You’re still welcome to ask questions about future features and we’ll continue to answer them where appropriate – just expect the occasional ‘soon.’

Any other posts apart from questions in the thread will be removed.

With that being said, please ask away!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Background: I currently have 4 lv 50 characters I have done the republic and imperial stories and while I enjoy the class stories each time around found the second play through of the world stories not as much fun as the original. I am currently holding off a new character or working through too much end game content because I would rather play a more alien species like Kel'dor or Gran and if they become avaliable will recreate and lose everything I have done on my current characters and would want to experiance the class story fresh for my new characters. I dont want a Catahr but if that is the only measure of getting a new species will create one.

Question: If Cathar are a sucess how long will we have to wait before we know what other species will be introduced and how long before they are playable on the main servers.

Are there any plans to expand the legacy family tree to include other players? It would be great to - for instance - be siblings with another guildmate and connect the 2 legacies together in one larger tree. As it stands right now, a maximum of 8 people in legacy tree looks fairly minimalistic.

Any chance we could see some quality of life improvements for crafting patterns on the GTN? Like the the ability to filter out patterns I already know. There are so many patterns on the GTN these days (which is awesome) but it takes awhile to go find the ones I'm looking for and then check to make sure I don't already know it.

Would the design decisions which went into the character creation process prevent the devs from going back and upgrading the way that works, or is it possible we'll see the character creation upgraded to be on par with most other MMOs (such as Star Trek, APB, Second Life, City of Heroes, Guild Wars 2, etc.)?

(I mean really, in the great Wars vs. Trek debate, can we really live with giving them such a huge one-up over SWTOR?!? ;))

Edited by KickFrenzy

Q1: Would there be a possible option to change an existing character to Cathar upon release of the playable specie? (as in, for the first week an account can select up to 3 chars per server to change species in celebration of the patch OR we can get a first free species change and the rest can be paid for, etc) I know that cathar are one of my favorite races, next to selonians, and I REALLY wanted to make my main a cathar but because they were not playable, I had to make a zabrak and twi'lek instead. I rather not have to start over on whole new server to play a cathar for the sake of being a cathar that I will never play again. Edited by Ellvaan
Multiple Questions (Pm'd)

What is the status of open world pvp? It would seem logical that high ranking members of each faction would want to support their faction more that just playing for FIFA gold cups (hutball). Where are the Bounties for Bounty Hunters to play their class?

Just one question.

"Why have you broken the Shadow/Assassin class?"

Numbers wise it hasn't been brought in line with other tanks.

It has effectively made the class unwanted in group play especially.

And the DPS on the infil/deception Trees isnt in line with other classes either.

Has the PVP design team ever consider or plan to implement diminishing returns on CC's based on how full a players resolve bar is?

For example, an empty resolve bar would allow full CC duration. A half full bar would equal to half the CC duration and so on.

Question : When are you going to add a "real" Legacy system. IE: Having my sibling interact with me. Make them as my companion characters on a mission, no voices needed. How bout running into one of your other characters companions, i mean they have to know im related to him/her. Edited by Ellvaan

From what I've been able to uncover, planet titles, and codex entries for Races in particular have been removed since Beta, but the codex never reflected the change. Is there any plan in place, for either re-implementing the removed entries and titles (preferable) or removing them entirely from the codex, so people like myself are not ripping our our hair?

I have two questions.

Q1: When are you guys going to come to the conclusion that pvp gear destroys pvp. It makes it so new 50 are manhandled by War Hero geared people. Sure the recruit gear was a nice cash bonus, because all it does is get you two shotted instead of one. You can say people need to do their time, but it isn't worth the time unless you are handing out ranked warzone credits like candy during Halloween. Which is what, is happening to the people who already have their gear, because they are destroying everyone else. Get rid of pvp gear. Make pvp about skill and not gear. It dumbfounds me that skill is way down the line to gear, when it comes factors related to success in pvp. I have 6 level 50 toons; one with complete BM and some war hero yeah it is fun killing fools with recruit gear, but I don't always want to play one class. I want to be able to play all my characters competitively after they reached 50. Pvp is a joke, for that reason and the fact that there are so many stuns and knockbacks, you basically have control of your toon for a total of 3 seconds once you are around more than three people. Stop worrying about class balance and worry about a functioning pvp environment that is rewarding for all people. If you want to keep gear, make it about style and achievement, not about murdering people because all you do is pvp. You can still destroy people if you are skilled, so what are all the people with this gear worried about if they lose it. It is only going to get worse with successive tiers and as a result BM will be water down and WH will be watered down and easier to get. Just stop playing games with gear to make people play longer and instead make pvp playable for everyone and they will play longer because it is actually fun.

Thanks

Moodo, Parviti, Athanna, Mudo, Zetya, Telsa, Dartainia, Nojack.

Edited by Ellvaan

The slow expansion of moddable gear is nice, but when are we going to be able to transfer our set bonuses via armorings without having to be part of a cutting edge raiding guild to obtain Campaign armor? Additionally, the cost of changing out mods in gear at the high end is astronomical (over 100k to move a set of Columi mods + augments per piece of gear - that's 600K per set!). I'd like to change out my outfit frequently, but between the cost being so high and the inability to transfer my set bonuses, it's not something that's currently realistic.

Can we please get an update on when the hood toggle feature will be added? My Miraluka's hood causes clipping and prevents me from seeing his face well in cut scenes, so I am waiting until there is a hood toggle to play him. I hope you have good news for me -- I can only get so much rested XP! ;)

Back before launch, it was stated that the items on the Collector's Edition Vendor, would have similar items available to everyone. So far that is mostly true.

My question is this. Are we gonna get varations of the Social Imperial Armor thats only available to the CE vendor. There are many npc's with the same armor but in different colors. I'd think it's safe to assume tha folks would be satisfied with that alone. Same could be said with the CE Republic Officer armor.

Background: 12 or more sages/sorcs in a warzone wasnt uncommon pre-1.2. Class distribution is nowdays much better but it's also obvious that people gave up on their sorcs/sages due to recent changes. The combination of low survivability and no real bursts make the two ac'es less appealing to the masses and it seems like only the top sorcs/sages pre-1.2 have what it takes to be competitive against players of much lower skill from other classes in the new enviroment. By simply looking through a few of the many "class composition for rated"-threads it should become apparent to everyone that dps sorcs/sages arent high on the "want" list. No one's interested in a dot class that even the most clueless healer single handedly can nullify.

Question: Are you willing to retract, or atleast reconsider, previous statements regarding sages/sorcs being "in a good place right now" and tweak (read:buff) either survivablity or burst to make foremost the dps specs of said classes viable in rated warzones?

Edited by MidichIorian