The saddest thing on the GTN

clearsighted

The saddest thing on the GTN is when someone posts an outrageously expensive item - of the sort that no one would ever buy, like 2 million credits for a dynamic sleuth mask, and then its followed by a flood of copycats selling for 1.9m, 1.8m.

Then over the course of several days, these people gradually get a reality check as the price incrementally returns to its actual market value.

The saddest thing on the GTN is when someone posts an outrageously expensive item - of the sort that no one would ever buy, like 2 million credits for a dynamic sleuth mask, and then its followed by a flood of copycats selling for 1.9m, 1.8m.

Then over the course of several days, these people gradually get a reality check as the price incrementally returns to its actual market value.

I disagree.

One of two things is happening with the first seller: either there is no other item of that type listed and so a "normal" price is unknown and so might as well start ultra high; or that seller bought up the stock and tried to push the upper limit.

Then as other sellers came into/back to the market they see that very high price and either: assume the pricing is normal because they have no frame of reference (not everyone looks up every item they might sell all the time); or they too are interested in pushing the upper limit of pricing.

And all buyers have to do is not buy and the price will come down eventually. So what if it takes several days for something to sell? It shows remarkable patience on the part of those sellers. The quick sale is not always the best sale.

Really? This makes you "sad"? Why is it sorrowful? Do you cry when you see that? This is the SADDEST thing on the GTN? Wow. Just wow.

Because I meant the term 'saddest' in a completely literal sense, rather than 'amusingly predictable', right? What are you? Drax the Destroyer?

I've been watching the GTN a lot this last week, and I've seen the cycle repeat over and over again. Someone will post a completely pie in the sky number, and then dozens more suddenly appear, despite there being no actual demand.

I don't know what makes me 'sad' on the GTN. Maybe the same guy who has been posting a Czerka Celebrator for 100 million for months and months. That's a little sad, to imagine him re-posting it every 2 days.

Edited by clearsighted

I don't know what makes me 'sad' on the GTN.

The only thing that used to make me "sad" was looking for something specific on the GTN, but nobody was selling it.

That's the real reason I got into crafting -- to be able to make the things I wanted to have.

Edited by Khevar

Or they could be using it for storage.

In a different MMO I used to craft housing items for myself. And I didn't want to carry them around in my bag until I went to decorate so I'd put them up on the broker for about 3x the highest price I could imagine them selling and then take them back off the market when I eventually went home to decorate. I didn't want to sell them because I'd made them for myself but at the same time if someone wanted to pay way more than it was worth I'd happily take the insane profit and remake myself one. It really shocked me how many times stuff sold at what really wasn't a reasonable price just because I happened to be the one selling it at the time someone decided to decorate.

I think mostly it is people just trying to learn what the market is. If there aren't a lot listed and you don't know the market price when you post then you aren't being smart if you don't price for higher than you'd expect... because sometimes things sell because people want a convenience buy and would rather pay 10k more than come back later for a lower price.

There's a baby item I make for low levels. Cost is between 250 and 1k depending on crits and market price for the mats. I started out selling them for 3k and couldn't keep them stocked so went to 5k and still couldn't keep stock and now I'm selling out most of the time at 9k. Sometimes I have to relist but more often I have to recraft which to me means I hit the perfect price point. I personally wouldn't pay more than 3k for something like that... but people starting an alt usually have credits to spend and don't care about price as long as it isn't going to break the bank.

Because I meant the term 'saddest' in a completely literal sense, rather than 'amusingly predictable', right? What are you? Drax the Destroyer?

I've been watching the GTN a lot this last week, and I've seen the cycle repeat over and over again. Someone will post a completely pie in the sky number, and then dozens more suddenly appear, despite there being no actual demand.

I don't know what makes me 'sad' on the GTN. Maybe the same guy who has been posting a Czerka Celebrator for 100 million for months and months. That's a little sad, to imagine him re-posting it every 2 days.

Patience often pays off. Someone bought my spare Revan Holostatue yesterday for 32m, despite the going price being 7m a few days ago. The really sad thing here is that basic marketing has flown completely over your head.

Or people selling items below the vendor cost, pretty sad for them ( not for me ).

Or people undercutting those massive prices by 100's of K so I buy them up and resell them a week ro 2 later for 3x + the profit ( again sad for them, not for me - had a fun time doing this with all the hawkeye crystals recently )

Maybe even the White Hawkeye crystal that finally dropped for me that I'm going to list for a riddiculous price soon since last I looked there were none on the market ...

As for the Revan holostatue I sold one of those for about 7 million ... didn't think people would actually pay such a high price once there were actually none left. Think I mihht hold onto my krayt dragon skeleton for quite awhile then.

As for the Revan holostatue I sold one of those for about 7 million ... didn't think people would actually pay such a high price once there were actually none left. Think I mihht hold onto my krayt dragon skeleton for quite awhile then.

When you're holding one of the very few unbound [insert coveted item that everyone wants badly here] that still exist, remember that there is someone that wants it more than you. Once that happens you get to dictate the price you want & someone will buy it. Also never negotiate your price.

I disagree.

One of two things is happening with the first seller: either there is no other item of that type listed and so a "normal" price is unknown and so might as well start ultra high; or that seller bought up the stock and tried to push the upper limit.

Then as other sellers came into/back to the market they see that very high price and either: assume the pricing is normal because they have no frame of reference (not everyone looks up every item they might sell all the time); or they too are interested in pushing the upper limit of pricing.

And all buyers have to do is not buy and the price will come down eventually. So what if it takes several days for something to sell? It shows remarkable patience on the part of those sellers. The quick sale is not always the best sale.

This ^

There are plenty of times I try to sell something with no point of reference. Should I just sell it dirt cheap without knowing its value? Start off high for one day, see where that goes. If you see nothing selling then by all means list it lower. Gradual is always the best tactic. Just a few days ago I was putting up some Advanced Might Armor 36 and there was NOTHING available which means it sold out completely. Do I just sell it at the last price I remember? Obviously not, it sold out so I'll go 50% higher just to see what the limit of the market is.

Of course we can all sell everything at % markup of cost but that's not reality. Supply and Demand, if there isn't any supply and there is a lot of demand....guess what, buyers are going to pay very high prices. If there is no supply but little demand, well that's where you have to get creative with your pricing.

Well, my original post wasn't referring to either the perfectly valid tactic for feeling out a market, or the possession of an extremely rare and limited item.

It was when something completely banal and common goes up for an insane fee, followed by many imitators, which never, ever results in a sale. If anything, it crashes to an even lower cost than it was before.

Well, my original post wasn't referring to either the perfectly valid tactic for feeling out a market, or the possession of an extremely rare and limited item.

It was when something completely banal and common goes up for an insane fee, followed by many imitators, which never, ever results in a sale. If anything, it crashes to an even lower cost than it was before.

Again though, if that item does not exist on the GTN already how can someone know that the extreme pricing is unrealistic. Said item may be common, but who knows maybe there are buyers out there who - out of sheer rotten luck - have not gotten said item. No one really knows what lengths buyers will go to buy something until a seller tries.

Just as an example that actually happened not too long ago. I had crafted a number of blue grade 28 mods. i knew that the normal pricing was 10k to 15k with a high end of about 18k. But on that day, the only listings were for 50k. My first thought was, "how stupid is that?" But as I have more credits than I will ever spend, i decided to take a chance - I listed my mods at 49500 credits...and they sold within 12 hours. Obviously we were in a short supply high demand scenario. It did not last, but I would have kicked myself had I posted at the "normal" price.

It was when something completely banal and common goes up for an insane fee,

If they are so common why are they the only ones on the market? Supply and demand and common implies large supply and thus lower prices.

Perhaps it would save time if you actually named items? Many people in threads like these talk of "items", which is fairly erroneous, as opposed to clearly naming them to get a better response from the community.

This past week for example if we were talking about some crafting materials I know they went for quite a lot more than the norm because it was crafting conquest week ( and I made MILLIONS on my saved war supplies, thank you competing guilds ).

Saddest thing I saw was a hypercrate listed at 200K. Made me sad for the seller that s/he left a zero or two off the selling price... saddest for me was the poor sorting tool on the GTN, that when coupled with a lack of coffee had me purchase an item for 8 million credits when it was worth 8,000.000 credits.

NB: No I didn't return it. I purchased it and went on my merry way. You only need this to happen a few times before you don't make this type of mistake again.

Edited by Exquisitr
New info

Out of curiosity did you buy it then return it to them? I could imagine this also happening if someone had a lot of hyper crates and packs in their inventory mixing them up.

Often if I see things that should be sold at say 100-500K missing a 0 I'll take it up and keep it since the seller should be more careful but not sure on something they've cut themselves out of 4 million+ for.

I fail to see why this is sad, let alone the saddest thing.

I think it's sad when people don't understand how a free market works.

? I wasn't aware that the Crafting Mats vendor by the Crew Skills trainer had different F2P/Preferred prices.

Every vendor in the game has different prices for FTP/Preferred/Subs.

Selling purchasable crafting supplies on the GTN is smart--people will pay a premium to be able to stay in their ship or stronghold and not have to go visit the vendor.

Every vendor in the game has different prices for FTP/Preferred/Subs.

Selling purchasable crafting supplies on the GTN is smart--people will pay a premium to be able to stay in their ship or stronghold and not have to go visit the vendor.

Case in point, just yesterday I ran out of something but I only had a few mins to craft and log......I was on my ship so I decided to buy from GTN instead going through load screens. To me, my time > 10k credits so it's smart to sell stuff on the GTN even when you think there is a better alternative.