Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is being done about the exploiters who made billions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is being done about the exploiters who made billions?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LunaticFringer
12.13.2017 , 03:20 AM | #21
I know it sounds funny to at least a couple of you that have watched my few posts here on SWTOR and maybe did remember this handle back in SWG. But I did once apply for a Community Representative job while SOE/LA still had SWG going in Austin, TX. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the interview for the job at the time it popped up due to family stuff on my end.

What is my point? Oh yeah...

This falls somewhat under the same circumstance that an employee of a company will never ask you for your password. Basically, they can't give us specifics on what is going to happen. About all they can say is that, "Yes, SWTOR Community. We are aware of the exploiters and do take this very seriously. However, we can't tell you the actions we take against another account or accounts."

Seriously, when they let us know... it will look like that. It is all they can say under the circumstances. And, yes, what happens may wind up being a slap on the wrist compared to what we'd like-- but it is what it is. I wouldn't lose complete hope though. I have a feeling if they're waiting to sort out the whole mess it could get as cheerful as, "We'd like to announce that we've restored x billion credits to the galactic market after various entities tried to embezzle their way to the top!"

I might get fired... but that's how I'd handle it with a CR spot here once the mess was sorted.
"The Utinni must flow!" ~Jàlen Storm, The Star Forge!
Refer a Friend Link
The Dream is Playable Jawas and a Twerking Emote!

JattaGin
12.13.2017 , 04:41 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Does anyone else's blood boil when these things happen and then the uber-rich have the gall to tell us all to run heroics or spend hours gathering/crafting and we can be just as rich as them?
Yes.

But then I remember that it's just a game and I have a dreamjob in real life which gives me a lot of time playing video games and why should I care for someone who has to define themselves by their wealth in a mediocre MMO.
You know you want it:
My referral link (and explanation of the goodies we get).

Rothie
12.13.2017 , 04:47 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamyn View Post
Why make billions when we could make... millions?

Honestly, this exploit never occurred to me. I just used cheap gifts to get some companions to level 50.
Yup, I leveled about 30 companions to 50, then bought another 5000 of each type of gifts for later. Luckily I had about 65 million credits to spend, so was able to take advantage of the lower gift price. It worked out pretty nice since it took 477 gifts to reach 50, from rank 1 if you had the legacy perks. That was around 460,000cr to go from rank 1 to rank 50. Way worth the cost and much better than the 4,770,000 it normally cost.
You registered your Pre-Order code on July 21, 2011 and now are registered for the following items:
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
AΩE
*** Rattataki, Bounty Hunter***

Rocketmanballs
12.13.2017 , 10:46 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
Free pizza, beer and a movie.

Seriously. You think they're going to tell us?
Well, obviously nothing is being done. I know 4 different people who did this and nothing has happened to them lol
Love the snarky sarcasm? Help me and you both out by clicking my referral link here:
http://www.swtor.com/r/lYym7b

AlienEyeTX
12.13.2017 , 10:55 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Rocketmanballs View Post
What is being done about the exploiters who made billions by buying companion gifts and selling them back? If you don't take away their money I'm gonna be pissed that I didn't exploit as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmPJ71SE6Q
Why don't you just worry about you?
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

Kurj
12.13.2017 , 11:12 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rothie View Post
Yup, I leveled about 30 companions to 50, then bought another 5000 of each type of gifts for later. Luckily I had about 65 million credits to spend, so was able to take advantage of the lower gift price. It worked out pretty nice since it took 477 gifts to reach 50, from rank 1 if you had the legacy perks. That was around 460,000cr to go from rank 1 to rank 50. Way worth the cost and much better than the 4,770,000 it normally cost.
I leveled up a bunch of mine too, with the goal of getting 8 50s for each of my crafters. Not quite there yet (I've got to finish up the storyline and run some heroic Starfortress missions for alts), but I bought a stack of 9999 of each type to finish those up once I do and have leftovers for new toons. I'm figuring it will be worth it in the long run, although I have to admit I was nervous that BW would say "we're lowering all gift prices permanently because you all liked it so much". Ha ha, fat chance.
Begeren Colony

Elmendra | Ozeranski | Tr'sain | Kurj

EricMusco
12.13.2017 , 11:14 AM | #28 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Keep in mind that we try to avoid talking about exploits and action taken against players. However, I know there is a bit of concern about this exploit and its implications on the game so here is where things stand.

We have already begun taking action against players, but the brunt of those actions are still to come. As you might imagine, gathering all of the data to understand who exploited and what they did with the money, takes quite a bit of time. Know that over time we will be applying account actions, along with removing a large quantity of credits and other ill-gotten gains.

Part of what takes so long is that some players know they are doing something they shouldn't and so they try to hide it. Moving credits around, using alt accounts, etc. It is important to us that we take appropriate action against each individual, and we are extra harsh against those who try to hide what they have done. Similarly, some players who participated have already self-reported either to Keith and myself, or to Customer Support. We absolutely take that into account when looking at what action we will take.

And again my usual thanks to the absolute vast majority of our players who helped in reporting the issue quickly and avoided using it.

TLDR - Some action has already happened with the brunt of it still to follow.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

CaptRogue
12.13.2017 , 11:15 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurj View Post
"we're lowering all gift prices permanently because you all liked it so much". Ha ha, fat chance.
Oh gosh I wish! lol I didn't log in on Mon to get more gifts like I planned to RL happened. lol Then forgot till Patch had started yesterday. ARGH! lol So I didn't get as many to 50 as I would have liked. lol
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

Kurj
12.13.2017 , 11:25 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRogue View Post
Oh gosh I wish! lol I didn't log in on Mon to get more gifts like I planned to RL happened. lol Then forgot till Patch had started yesterday. ARGH! lol So I didn't get as many to 50 as I would have liked. lol
It is amazing to me how much satisfaction I got out of leveling companions to 50 so quickly. I've wanted 8 50s for each crafter for ages, and honestly never thought I would accomplish it.
Begeren Colony

Elmendra | Ozeranski | Tr'sain | Kurj