Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

NVIDIA’s MFAA and SWTOR: Question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
NVIDIA’s MFAA and SWTOR: Question

Jediboo
01.30.2019 , 11:39 PM | #1
Hello fellow players and maybe developers! So my questions are as follows;

1. Does SWTOR support MFAA?

2. If yes, does MFAA conflict with in-game AA setting and/or NVIDIA’s AA/FXAA settings?

3. If yes, have any players who’ve used seen increase or decrease of game play performance?

4. If yes, would you recommend using it, and if it’s compatiable with in-game / NVIDIA AA settings, what combination of settings seemed optimal for you in regards to both performance and graphic quality?

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who can shed light on my questions! I will try to respond to quickly to your comments. Otherwise....

May the force be with you. Always.

xordevoreaux
01.31.2019 , 12:36 AM | #2
nVidia's list of games which support MFAA does not include SWTOR.

Another way to tell is that SWTOR is a Dx9 game, and MFAA is DX 10/11 and higher as mentioned midway down this page where it says:

Quote:
With the latest NVIDIA Game Ready WHQL Display Driver 347.25 we have extended the list of supported games to almost all DX10 and DX11 games.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Jediboo
01.31.2019 , 01:22 AM | #3
Awesome thank you very much for your response and the information!!

SteveTheCynic
01.31.2019 , 01:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
nVidia's list of games which support MFAA does not include SWTOR.

Another way to tell is that SWTOR is a Dx9 game, and MFAA is DX 10/11 and higher as mentioned midway down this page where it says:
I'd just add that driver 347.whatever is really old - I'm on 398.something, and it lets me configure MFAA as an override for SWTOR. I haven't actually tried it, but it can be configured.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

xordevoreaux
01.31.2019 , 07:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I'd just add that driver 347.whatever is really old - I'm on 398.something, and it lets me configure MFAA as an override for SWTOR. I haven't actually tried it, but it can be configured.
I have 417.71, and I have MFAA set globally, and even turned it on for SWTOR using nVidia Inspector, but it still does no consequential improvement or degradation for SWTOR in terms of affecting aliasing.

Mubrak
01.31.2019 , 08:18 AM | #6
Since SWTOR is a Dx9 game, it can actually have good AA. If you card can handle it, MFAA won't even come close.

Get Nvidia Inspector and try these settings for SWTOR:

4x SGSSAA
Antialiasing Compatibility: 0x000012C1
Antialiasing Mode: Override any application setting.
Antialiasing Setting: 4x (4x Multisampling)
Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

4x OGSSAA
Antialiasing Compatibility: 0x00000000
Antialiasing Mode: Override any application setting.
Antialiasing Setting: 4x4 (4x4 Supersampling)

Both basically render the whole frame in a higher (increased by 4x4) resolution and do the antialiasing either during (SGSS) or before (OGSS) downscaling to your actual resolution. You'll need a card with at least 4GB Ram.
Let us turn off that gaudy flashing icon over every vendor's head.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

xordevoreaux
01.31.2019 , 08:24 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
Since SWTOR is a Dx9 game, it can actually have good AA. If you card can handle it, MFAA won't even come close.

Get Nvidia Inspector and try these settings for SWTOR:

4x SGSSAA
AntiAliasing Compatibility: 0x000012C1
AntiAliasing Mode: Override any application setting.
Antialiasing Setting: 4x (4x Multisampling)
Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

4x OGSSAA
AntiAliasing Compatibility: 0x00000000
AntiAliasing Mode: Override any application setting.
Antialiasing Setting: 4x4 (4x4 Supersampling)

Both basically render the whole frame in a higher (by 4x4) resolution and do the antialiasing either during (SGSS) or after (OGSS) downscaling to your actual resolution.
That is precisely how I set up my .nip file. I also have in-game OA (enhanced shadows) off and have Inspector's AO set to high quality/enabled. AF is 16x and TF on high quality, and GSync on.

Edit: Actually not quite how I have it set up. I have mine set to Enhance, not override. Override creates edge burn with Bloom on and I like the in-game bloom.

UltrachocoboI
05.23.2019 , 07:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
That is precisely how I set up my .nip file. I also have in-game OA (enhanced shadows) off and have Inspector's AO set to high quality/enabled. AF is 16x and TF on high quality, and GSync on.

Edit: Actually not quite how I have it set up. I have mine set to Enhance, not override. Override creates edge burn with Bloom on and I like the in-game bloom.
Are u using his first option or his second option? Also what is your Ingame AA if you use enhance instead of override? I hate the Edge Burn but the Ingame AA is just not good enough. I tried his second option now with enhance instead of override but if I have ingame aa on very high I got 24fps even tho I am on a RTX2080..

TrixxieTriss
05.23.2019 , 07:55 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by UltrachocoboI View Post
Are u using his first option or his second option? Also what is your Ingame AA if you use enhance instead of override? I hate the Edge Burn but the Ingame AA is just not good enough. I tried his second option now with enhance instead of override but if I have ingame aa on very high I got 24fps even tho I am on a RTX2080..
Do you use the swtor FPS meter? If so, what colour is it when you have 24fps?
It’s possible it could be your cpu as swtor is extremely cpu dependent

UltrachocoboI
05.23.2019 , 07:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Do you use the swtor FPS meter? If so, what colour is it when you have 24fps?
It’s possible it could be your cpu as swtor is extremely cpu dependent
Didnt even know SWTOR has an FPS Meter, I am using msi afterburner usually and my CPU is a Ryzen 2600 on 4Ghz.
Only happens under these Settings tho, 8x Multisampling works fine but it looks far worse sadly, especially Grass is aliasing and shimmering like crazy.
Here is a Screenshot but you cant see it that good there sadly, its waaaay worse in motion though..
https://puu.sh/Dwre1/2f08c22a3d.png