Why SWTOR has more potential than GW2 or WoW

iheartnyc

Simple answer really: The Star Wars universe.

The universe has incredible popular appeal and long-lasting popularity. The plot-line is classic and amazing as is the story. They even taught Star Wars as a classic example of an ideal plot/character development in my American lit class in prep school (a pretty preftigious one with preftigious trees and a preftigious wall).

Anyways, I'm not talking about the merits of the game. Sure there are problems with it. I"m simply talking about the potential. And that's why I'm sticking around. To give it a shot. A diamond in the rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KM3E0emjg

I mean seriously. Yeah yeah the game isn't exactly like the trailers, but I believe the devs are working towards that goal. And man, if it ever gets there, this game will be the mother of all games.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like SWTOR, but I don't think SWTOR, WoW or GW2 has much potential.

They're all variations of the same thing. Sure, GW2 is a significant departure, but not THAT far.

Now, TSW (The Secret World) I think has the most potential of any future MMO.

1st: No Levels. This is refreshing. No stupid grind to end game.

2nd: No classes. No needed to reroll the flavour of the month, no need to play a defined roll. You build your class from over 500 abilities and can change it at any time.

3rd: 3 factions. Always more fun.

4th: Not fantasy. Fantasy is boring at this point. GW2 would be a much more exciting game if it wasn't "Generic fantasy world 7".

oh **** I just fell out of my chair laughing

This.

SW is the only reason some small amount of ppl still keep playing this.

GW2 might not have the universe (although it does have 6 mil loyal player base and fan base). But ppl will be playing it, because the "gaming" experience will be amazing.

So if You think that GW2 will be anything else but major success, You are just lying to Your pocket my friend :)

GW2 is going to be terrible...so there's that.

lol...

oh man I feel sorry for blind haters.

Stay in this game for all I care, just don't be surprised when everyone leaves for GW2.

You'll come over eventually becuase you won't be able to help yourself.

They're putting the community back in MMO.

GW2 is going to be terrible...so there's that.

No it's fun in it's own right...it's just the slobbering Zealots who think it is the second coming are in for a rude awakening. GW2 and TOR have very similar philosophies it's mainly about Story too. And Anet downright hates Progression Raiding and the Raider mentality.

how? sorry, I'm haven't been closely following.

WvWvW.

Scaling DE... and the simple fact that having someone else around won't be a complete nuissance like 'fetch quest' levelling. Other people will be awesome to have around because of cross-profession combos.

Not much info out about guilds yet, but it's safe to say it will be the most advanced 'guild system' ever in an MMO.

WvWvW.

Scaling DE... and the simple fact that having someone else around won't be a complete nuissance like 'fetch quest' levelling. Other people will be awesome to have around because of cross-profession combos.

Not much info out about guilds yet, but it's safe to say it will be the most advanced 'guild system' ever in an MMO.

I might add possibility to be in multiple guilds at once.

This.

SW is the only reason some small amount of ppl still keep playing this.

GW2 might not have the universe (although it does have 6 mil loyal player base and fan base). But ppl will be playing it, because the "gaming" experience will be amazing.

So if You think that GW2 will be anything else but major success, You are just lying to Your pocket my friend :)

I really hope GW2 lives up to the expectations you guys have of it, because the fanboyism surrounding TOR is nothing compared to GW2 which hasn't even been released yet. Seriously, unless that game comes packaged with the secret to eternal life, a lot of people are going to look seriously silly.

Incidentally, you are aware that TOR is a huge, confirmed success, aren't you? Even without the huge advertising campaign that begins this week? Cos you're kind of acting like you think it's failing.

I still don't see why people scramble to play different versions of what is effectively the same game.

No matter how many differences SWTOR, WoW and GW2 have, they also have a buttload of similarities.

We're not going to get change until we, the players, stand up and demand it.

It's time we let Devs know that the "I pick a class, I level up, I get gear" model is old and tired.

Just say no to levels and classes.

lol...

Stay in this game for all I care, just don't be surprised when everyone leaves for GW2.

I just have one question for you how many hours have you played GW2?

And if anything Anet is concerned about their community; a friend of mine who went to Gamescom last years said that Anet was really concerned that their community was shaping up to be like the LoL community with a hefty dose of 4chan mixed in for good measure.

Also GW2 will be the game people play along with whatever they are paying for currently rather than instead of.

The Star Wars universe? What's so special about that? Sure the (original) movies were great, but I don't see what's so special about the SW universe in general. It's filled with contradictions and silly things (granted I didn't read the books or anything).

In some fantasy MMO, I can roll a mage and shoot fireballs or something at bad guys. Here I roll a sorc and shoot lightning at people. It's just about the same thing except it's called force instead of magic.

In some fantasy MMO I swing a sword at people, here I swing a lightsaber, except I must be getting all the broken ones, because despite using a weapon that can cut clean through someone without any effort, all I can do is scratch them.

In some fantasy MMO I can tank, usually by using some sort of shield and just repeatedly getting punched in the face while getting healed by magic. Here I can tank using a shield generator and just repeatedly get punched/shot while getting healed by kolto/force.

Really, as far as settings go, this doesn't feel so much like Star Wars changed to fit an MMO form so much as an MMO that took the tried and true stereotypical fantasy mold and shoved Star Wars into it.

The Star Wars universe? What's so special about that? Sure the (original) movies were great, but I don't see what's so special about the SW universe in general. It's filled with contradictions and silly things (granted I didn't read the books or anything).

In some fantasy MMO, I can roll a mage and shoot fireballs or something at bad guys. Here I roll a sorc and shoot lightning at people. It's just about the same thing except it's called force instead of magic.

In some fantasy MMO I swing a sword at people, here I swing a lightsaber, except I must be getting all the broken ones, because despite using a weapon that can cut clean through someone without any effort, all I can do is scratch them.

In some fantasy MMO I can tank, usually by using some sort of shield and just repeatedly getting punched in the face while getting healed by magic. Here I can tank using a shield generator and just repeatedly get punched/shot while getting healed by kolto/force.

Really, as far as settings go, this doesn't feel so much like Star Wars changed to fit an MMO form so much as an MMO that took the tried and true stereotypical fantasy mold and shoved Star Wars into it.

See you are just giving your perspective which is subjective...millions of Star Wars fans feel differently.

I've re-read that a few times and it still doesn't make sense.

Not much info out = safe to say it will be the most advanced system ever

...?

I'm not going to start posting clips and threads of GW2 info at what the developers have hinted at. If you're interested enough in it, you'll search it out.

Edited by ShonaChaos

lol...

I would definitely give GW2 a go if swtor does not fix combat and a number of other bugs / issues but I am not a pvp player. I am mostly pve. I thought that GW2 was going to be mainly pvp with a little pve thrown in. So if that is true, I am not sure that I and players like me would go over to GW2 even if it offers great combat, less bugs, better fps and none of the swtor graphics issues, and a more open world, etc.

Am I wrong about the direction of GW2? I actually hope so, because it would be something to try if BW does not get it's act together.