UI Disappears

BlindWuzi

• 6 months later...
AH for f*cks sake! I am at the end of Directive 7 and I killed every last damn robot in the facility and did all the gd bonuses and I'm at Mentor and my friggin UI disappears, ctrl + U U don't work, and neither did alt+tab, so the only thing left to do is log out and then do this blasted thing over again and hope it doesn't happen again.... SO, anoth 1 or 2 hours of my life gone on something that shouldn't be happening 3 or 4 yrs later. Musco or whoever deals with bugs, fix this gosh darn ****. I mean come on! I don't even think they have a bug department. Just a reskin dept..... sighs loudly.

just happened to me! arg

It happens to me every once in a while. It's incredibly frustrating. Usually I have to exit the game completely, but sometimes, just sometimes alt+U works.

It's Ctrl + U twice to reload the UI. ;)

Most of the time, things like this can be attributed to user error, if not PC issues with the user. As mentioned earlier in this thread (4 years ago), Alt + Z will toggle the UI on/off. People will accidentally hit that key combo then blame the game. It's like hitting the walk/run toggle. I remember someone complaining that his character couldn't run and his speeder was really slow. He had accidentally toggled his run/walk and had never bothered to check his keybindings.

It's Ctrl + U twice to reload the UI. ;)

Most of the time, things like this can be attributed to user error, if not PC issues with the user. As mentioned earlier in this thread (4 years ago), Alt + Z will toggle the UI on/off. People will accidentally hit that key combo then blame the game. It's like hitting the walk/run toggle. I remember someone complaining that his character couldn't run and his speeder was really slow. He had accidentally toggled his run/walk and had never bothered to check his keybindings.

Actually when this bug (and it IS a Bug) happens Ctrl+U does absolutely nothing.

Alt+Z does absolutely nothing.

Now, how I have my keybinds there is no way on earth I could accidentally press Ctrl+U or Alt+Z because none of my keybinds use any of those keys, individually or in combination with anything else.

The three times I have had this Bug happen I hadn't even been pressing any keys at all - I was phasing into a FP from Fleet. No buttons had been pressed at all. Form me it has only happened since Traitor Among The Chiss went live.

Start the transport process with ALL my UI working as intended, load into the FP and have no UI at all.

Only fix Alt+Ctrl+Del, close the game in Task Manager and restart the game.

All The Best

A couple of things:

Just to clarify, when this happens you should hit CTRL-U. This will clear (erase) the UI (even though it's already gone). Then you hit CTRL-U again and wait a few seconds, and the UI should come back - resist the temptation to hit CTRL-U for a 3rd or 4th time. :)

(This is what they mean when they say "ctrl-u twice". )

This seems to be somewhat tied to hardware and/or drivers. I've had this problem occasionally, but it always seems to go away - usually after some Windows or driver update.

Edited by JediQuaker

A couple of things:

Just to clarify, when this happens you should hit CTRL-U. This will clear (erase) the UI (even though it's already gone). Then you hit CTRL-U again and wait a few seconds, and the UI should come back - resist the temptation to hit CTRL-U for a 3rd or 4th time. :)

(This is what they mean when they say "ctrl-u twice". )

Does nothing.

Only way to get UI back is to close game in task Manager and restart.

All The Best

Does nothing.

Only way to get UI back is to close game in task Manager and restart.

Make sure your Windows and drivers are up to date, and that your hardware is up to the task. (And definitely don't say you are playing on a Mac through Wine or some such crap. :) )

Make sure your Windows and drivers are up to date, and that your hardware is up to the task. (And definitely don't say you are playing on a Mac through Wine or some such crap. :) )

Honestly, the number of times I hear this as an excuse for poor software performance is laughable.

It's even more laughable when I consider that I've worked in software Q/A testing, and yes everything is up to date - it's always kept up to date. And my system specs far, far, far exceed the min specs for this game, and far exceed the recommended specs.

Just to save time on another "poor software performance excuse"; yes my fans, filters and air-flow management are all cleaned monthly, whole system is stripped down once a year, everything cleaned back to "as new", new thermal paste applied and then rebuilt. My point is I know how to maintain my machine.

The problem is NOT my machine, it IS the game software.

When this happens Ctrl+U does 100% absolutely nothing. Ctrl+U times 2 also does nothing, because... ...wait for it... ...2 x 0 is also 0.

Task Manager shutdown of SWTOR and then restart client is the ONLY fix.

All The Best

Honestly, the number of times I hear this as an excuse for poor software performance is laughable.

It's not an excuse. The root cause may well be poor software performance of SWTOR, but what you, and any readers of the forums with similar problems, should be concerned with is how to make your system work in spite of SWTOR's flaws.

And, since not everyone experiences this problem, it would seem logical that something within your system is contributing to your difficulties. Since you've given no details on the specs of your system, we can only speculate.

The comment about a Mac with Wine was just for grins, but on the other hand, who knows, maybe you're trying to game using a workstation graphics card with workstation drivers, or something.

Edit - or maybe you are using 32-bit Windows.

Edited by JediQuaker

Honestly the best way to possibly pinpoint the issue would be to look for similarities. While it could be a software issue with the game since not every single player experiences it leads me to believe it's more of a PC issue.

So the question is what is the commonality. Saying it's happening is one thing, providing details which generally I don't see ever if rarely occur would be better.

For example I've never experienced this issue. I've been using the same computer since the launch of the game.

But anyway here is my computer specs. This type of information is something that should be provided when saying there is an issue otherwise it's nothing more then a needle in a haystack.

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Memory Size - 1024 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 800 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor

(yeah I know I should probably and want to upgrade).

Anyway as I mentioned I've not had this issue occur. So for those that do and those that don't, what is your system setup. If there is a common factor like graphics card, OS, etc maybe that would help narrow it down.

• 1 year later...
fix the F@#$^$%^&$%ING UI form disapiring is starting to piss me the f off

While it does still occasionally happen (to me) - it doesn't happen often enough to get me that upset.

Hitting ctrl-U - twice, once to clear the UI and then again to refresh the UI - is not that difficult, though it does take a few seconds.

While it does still occasionally happen (to me) - it doesn't happen often enough to get me that upset.

Hitting ctrl-U - twice, once to clear the UI and then again to refresh the UI - is not that difficult, though it does take a few seconds.

it happens to me pretty frequently still. Usually after I alt-tab out of the game (I don't play in windowed mode). It'll either happen a few times over a few hours, or not at all (usually if I never alt-tab out of the game).

it happens to me pretty frequently still. Usually after I alt-tab out of the game (I don't play in windowed mode). It'll either happen a few times over a few hours, or not at all (usually if I never alt-tab out of the game).

Then don't alt-tab. 😅

But seriously, if you have regular occasions to alt-tab out of the game, it's time to consider getting a second monitor. It doesn't need to be fancy. A old 15" 4:3 LCD can do just fine. (I use a 1920x1080 main monitor and a 17" 4:3 LCD as the second monitor where I can watch live tennis, monitor Discord, view YouTube videos, read walk-through, etc.

I'd also suggest running in Fullscreen(Windowed) mode, but that doesn't always stop the UI issues (for me).

Btw - most graphics cards, and even most integrated graphics, can easily handle two monitors. It's basically just a matter of plugging in the second monitor and making a few simple settings in Windows. The biggest issue is often just the available connectors - sometimes you need an adapter to hook up an older monitor with only a VGA input.

(I think you can even connect a second monitor to a laptop, but that can be more of a hassle, depending upon make, model, etc.)

Edited by JediQuaker

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...