Huttball: Don't pass me the ball!

Thuull

Head's up: If we are huttballing together, and you have the ball, and I have you Guarded, DO NOT PASS ME THE BALL.

I know what goes on in your head - hey, this guy has Guard on me, that means he's a tank. Tanks take a lot of damage, so he can have more success carrying the ball across the line to help us score!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In a situation where you have a tank actively supporting you as the ball carrier, lots of cool mechanics happen. Half of the damage you take goes to me. You are also taking significantly less damage to begin with because if I'm smart enough to Guard you, I'm also smart enough to put Taunts on the bad men who are trying to kill you. You will survive far longer with that ball than what would happen if you pass it to me.

Here's what happens when you chuck it over to the guy guarding you...all of the bad men retarget the new ball carrier. Since I've had you guarded, I've soaked up a bunch of your damage and are probably half or more dead already...because our buddy healers who are near us have been focusing on healing you, NOT me (which is the way it should be).

No one has me guarded. None of our healers have me targetted. All of the bad men are in close proximity to us already, so it's pretty effortless for them to refocus. I'm half dead already. All of the cool "tanky" stuff that works for me in PvE is FAR LESS EFFECTIVE in PvP. My "tankiness" in PvP comes almost solely from my ability to put Guard on other players.

So, to sum up: Don't give me the damn ball, I don't want it. I want to be behind (or in front of) you, supporting YOU being the hero by either getting the ball over the line, or passing it to someone who is closer to the line (AND IS NOT ME) to let them score.

The only caveat to this is any tank who is more than 15m away from you is fair game for a pass. Yes, all of the tank classes do have abilities that help them get the ball over that line, I'm not saying we're worthless ball carriers at all times...just when we're supporting you.

Thanks!

Edited by Thuull

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A tank friend of mine noted that SWTOR's guard system is quirky that way - you tank best and actually earn credit for tanking when not being attacked, which is the opposite of the conventional wisdom. If people actually switch to you, you die faster and get no points/medals for it.

Also, your healers definitely SHOULD be healing you as well as the actual ball carrier, since you're linked like two halves of the same health pool while guarding.

Good tip, though.

And for what it's worth, please don't throw to the scoundrel unless he's wide open and yelling for the ball from the top platform. Seriously. We have no movement-boosting abilities and our best defensive cooldown makes us drop the ball.

While as a jugg I support the part of this that would make it easier for us, I don't fully agree.

Passing well is the best way to win Huttball. If someone I'm guarding passes the ball to me, I turn guard off, advance the ball as far as I can, pass to someone else, intercede to them, put guard on them. If I'm still alive lol.

As a tank I approve this thread. And I look to pass the ball to anyone as fast as I can when I get it. My value is keeping you from going splat. I wilt under focus fire just as fast as you do when I am not there to protect you.

Conversely, whenever I see an enemy ball carrier guarded first thing I do is find their tank and knock them as far away as possible so the carrier is no longer guarded. Then I leap after them and stun them to give my teammates the best chance of killing the carrier before their tank can get back in action.

head's up: If we are huttballing together, and you have the ball, and i have you guarded, do not pass me the ball.

I know what goes on in your head - hey, this guy has guard on me, that means he's a tank. Tanks take a lot of damage, so he can have more success carrying the ball across the line to help us score!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In a situation where you have a tank actively supporting you as the ball carrier, lots of cool mechanics happen. Half of the damage you take goes to me. You are also taking significantly less damage to begin with because if i'm smart enough to guard you, i'm also smart enough to put taunts on the bad men who are trying to kill you. You will survive far longer with that ball than what would happen if you pass it to me.

Here's what happens when you chuck it over to the guy guarding you...all of the bad men retarget the new ball carrier. Since i've had you guarded, i've soaked up a bunch of your damage and are probably half or more dead already...because our buddy healers who are near us have been focusing on healing you, not me (which is the way it should be).

No one has me guarded. None of our healers have me targetted. All of the bad men are in close proximity to us already, so it's pretty effortless for them to refocus. I'm half dead already. All of the cool "tanky" stuff that works for me in pve is far less effective in pvp. My "tankiness" in pvp comes almost solely from my ability to put guard on other players.

So, to sum up: Don't give me the damn ball, i don't want it. I want to be behind (or in front of) you, supporting you being the hero by either getting the ball over the line, or passing it to someone who is closer to the line (and is not me) to let them score.

The only caveat to this is any tank who is more than 15m away from you is fair game for a pass. Yes, all of the tank classes do have abilities that help them get the ball over that line, i'm not saying we're worthless ball carriers at all times...just when we're supporting you.

Thanks!

plus then you dont get the 3 or 4 medals! :)

classes who suck at running the ball:

operative, sniper, mercenary

Classes that should be dominating mid every huttball game:

Everyone has a job yaaayyy

(good point about them running the ball though, they do get pretty torn up)

Please don't pass me the ball unless I am really close to the goal line and can just sprint in. Even then, it's a big risk because I might pass it just because people are always yelling at me to pass it when there are no teammates around to pass it to.

If you pass me the ball, I begin screaming like a little girl, panicking and clicking my skills instead of using my hotkeys!!!

Classes that should be dominating mid every huttball game:

Everyone has a job yaaayyy

(good point about them running the ball though, they do get pretty torn up)

If you're camping mid as a Sniper in Huttball you are doing something incredibly wrong. We are useful as support for our ball carriers and also in defense due to our CC and snares.

Don't pass it to the nice Operative/Scoundrel that is healing you. Or really, don't pass it to any Operative/Scoundrel if there's an option (or they are in a good position, like stealthed at the ledge of the pit near to the goal line). We have no knockbacks, GOTTAGOFAST-abilities or monkeyjumps. We can slowly walk the ball towards the goal, but usually go squish long before.

If you're camping mid as a Sniper in Huttball you are doing something incredibly wrong. We are useful as support for our ball carriers and also in defense due to our CC and snares.

You can camp mid from the ramps, from where you can almost always help out the ball carrier for most of the way (granted you can't do your knockback which is indeed useful). I just feel like controlling the ball reset area gives your team a huge boost in an evenly matched game.

Don't pass it to the nice Operative/Scoundrel that is healing you. Or really, don't pass it to any Operative/Scoundrel if there's an option (or they are in a good position, like stealthed at the ledge of the pit near to the goal line). We have no knockbacks, GOTTAGOFAST-abilities or monkeyjumps. We can slowly walk the ball towards the goal, but usually go squish long before.

QFT. The absolute worst thing you can do is pass to your Operative healer. We're already public enemy #1 on account of being a healer, so it's safe to assume we have at least two enemies beating on us at all times, and on top of that we're an incredibly squishy class with the worst Huttball utility in the game (no knockback, no pull, no leap, no sprint - unless you count the 20% 3 second speed boost every 45 seconds that we can talent into).

Obviously, if you have no other options available and you think the person can move the ball forward, go for it. But even then, in some cases it's better to just chuck the ball into the middle of nowhere so it resets in the middle, rather than handing the enemy team the ball by passing to a poor carrier.

Edited by raelimar

You can camp mid from the ramps, from where you can almost always help out the ball carrier for most of the way (granted you can't do your knockback which is indeed useful). I just feel like controlling the ball reset area gives your team a huge boost in an evenly matched game.

You have to help to get them to the scoring area first. Chasing their rear providing well timed leg shots/flash grenades is imperitive and because we are doing this at range it is quite easy to get back to mid quite fast.

You have to help to get them to the scoring area first. Chasing their rear providing well timed leg shots/flash grenades is imperitive and because we are doing this at range it is quite easy to get back to mid quite fast.

Grrrrr....flash grenades are so annoying. I have a scoundrel and now I know why people don't like them after playing my alt :D

Dude, I'm an operative healer. If I have the ball, the first thing I am looking to do is pass it to someone ASAP. If you're a tank, you get the ball. Better you than me. I'll heal you. You take the ball and go go go. If you pull **** like the Jugg last night who dumped the ball every chance he got so that he could farm mid for medals, you won't get any more heals from me though. :]

PS - If you take the ball and the first thing you do is panic and leap out of range for heals or out of LOS from me, I will curse your seed for a thousand generations.

Edited by belialle

Head's up: If we are huttballing together, and you have the ball, and I have you Guarded, DO NOT PASS ME THE BALL.

I know what goes on in your head - hey, this guy has Guard on me, that means he's a tank. Tanks take a lot of damage, so he can have more success carrying the ball across the line to help us score!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In a situation where you have a tank actively supporting you as the ball carrier, lots of cool mechanics happen. Half of the damage you take goes to me. You are also taking significantly less damage to begin with because if I'm smart enough to Guard you, I'm also smart enough to put Taunts on the bad men who are trying to kill you. You will survive far longer with that ball than what would happen if you pass it to me.

Here's what happens when you chuck it over to the guy guarding you...all of the bad men retarget the new ball carrier. Since I've had you guarded, I've soaked up a bunch of your damage and are probably half or more dead already...because our buddy healers who are near us have been focusing on healing you, NOT me (which is the way it should be).

No one has me guarded. None of our healers have me targetted. All of the bad men are in close proximity to us already, so it's pretty effortless for them to refocus. I'm half dead already. All of the cool "tanky" stuff that works for me in PvE is FAR LESS EFFECTIVE in PvP. My "tankiness" in PvP comes almost solely from my ability to put Guard on other players.

So, to sum up: Don't give me the damn ball, I don't want it. I want to be behind (or in front of) you, supporting YOU being the hero by either getting the ball over the line, or passing it to someone who is closer to the line (AND IS NOT ME) to let them score.

The only caveat to this is any tank who is more than 15m away from you is fair game for a pass. Yes, all of the tank classes do have abilities that help them get the ball over that line, I'm not saying we're worthless ball carriers at all times...just when we're supporting you.

Thanks!

I used to play with a tank who had your bad mentality. The only way that guard helps me is if you're close enough for it to help me. Any half-intelligent team will separate you from the ball carrier then wreck him.

A tank should always be the ball carrier. 2/3 tanks have a charge and the mobility of that charge makes you a better ball carrier than anyone without a charge. A shadow/assassin tank is also unkillable so that makes him a pretty good ball carrier as well.

The guy you "guarded" also doesn't have your defensive cooldowns. Even if you're a tank running the ball and you get separated from healers you still have your insane defensive CDs that make you unkillable during their duration.

Snipers do very well in Mid. The flash grenade is an amazing tool though. I made a Gunslinger (troopers get AE stun as well) because it looked so powerfull.