This game is fun and no I'm not a fanboy

MbaxterBeau

Ignore all the negativity in this forum. This is the best mmo I've played and when you start out roll on the fatman. The repubs do better in pvp on that server but I play on the imps and the community is extremely nice and helpful.

There is plenty of content and plenty of nice people to play this game with. Best wishes to all the new players!

Glad you're having fun! I am as well, though my server has become fairly quiet. I'm excited for server transfers to start, hopefully we'll all get to hang out on busy servers like the Fatman. :rak_03:

Me too and not because it's Star Wars. I also chose not to buy it after not being impressed in beta so obviously I'm not a fanboy either, but I've been really impressed with the game overall and judging it like I would any other MMORPG. I find myself eager to play each day which is more than I can say for a lot of games. Don't really get all the hate either but I have to admit I haven't done the endgame stuff yet. I just chalk it up to more ex-WoW whiners tried of the basic MMORPG recipe.

I just chalk it up to more ex-WoW whiners tried of the basic MMORPG recipe.

This is sort of what I was thinking, because I didn't really play WoW. When I first started SWTOR there were a lot of people talking about how so and so mechanics and ideas were bad because they were rehashed, but I was seeing them for the first time, and I liked them. My guild is made up mostly of people who used to play WoW together, but they don't have a problem with any similar systems.

Haha, I wish that everyone could just like what they like and not fight about it all the time :p

I know WoW has a lot of things going for it, and GW2 looks like it'll be pretty cool, but I don't think either of them really connect with me the same way SWTOR does, so this is what I'm going to play. My brother played WoW a lot and he's planning on getting GW2, but he is more into the fantasy setting, whereas I'm more partial to the space setting (EVE) and Star Wars.

It's the old saying, if you can't say something nice don't say it at all. It's much easier for a real game critic to give unbiased information but then again everyone thinks there a critic :) I've enjoyed playing this game because it's new and fresh and then things that the game is missing are just something to look forward to when there introduced :)

also I'm quite happy that not everyone is at the level cap which put me on a downer with WOW because I like to take my time! Tbh I'm an old fogey when it comes to games. Nonetheless I'm very much enjoying myself and looking forward to 1.3 :)

Glad to see folks enjoying the game, deciding to give it a shot myself (downloading client as I post). I've been impressed on the community's openess to help out newcomers, as it should be!

Awesome xwecert! I hope you enjoy the game! Be aware that right now most of the servers are kind of empty, but fixes are starting to be implemented next week that will help this (there are also a few servers that are very busy right now if you look for them). There are a lot of angry people on the forums but there are helpful people too.

Glad to see folks enjoying the game, deciding to give it a shot myself (downloading client as I post). I've been impressed on the community's openess to help out newcomers, as it should be!

Welcome.

Just don't start on an RP-PvP server. The populations are low and I don't think we're getting any free server transfers :(

Welcome.

Just don't start on an RP-PvP server. The populations are low and I don't think we're getting any free server transfers :(

Why don't you think you'll get any? I was under the impression that every kind of server would get to transfer :confused:

This is sort of what I was thinking, because I didn't really play WoW. When I first started SWTOR there were a lot of people talking about how so and so mechanics and ideas were bad because they were rehashed, but I was seeing them for the first time, and I liked them. My guild is made up mostly of people who used to play WoW together, but they don't have a problem with any similar systems.

Yeah, unfortunately this is exactly why I unsubbed. I tried to give this game as long as I could, mainly because it is Star Wars, playing it since closed beta in August and I just can't bring myself to log on anymore. I personally am just sick and tired of the boring raid/wait/instanced PvP Themepark MMO genre that I have been playing for the past 6 years(not just WoW, I only played WoW for less than a year) and I need something different, SWTOR unfortunately is not different. My content right now consists for 2-3 nights of raiding a week(a few hours a night on those) and then sitting around in the fleet staring at my bank/the GTN for the rest of the time if I even log on. I could look completely over look Bioware's incompetence and unprofessional-ism if this game was simple not just another copy of every other Themepark MMO that has been coming out since WoW with some polished up voice overs for questing so people don't have to read.

And OP, glad you like the game and that absolutely does not make you a fanboy. Fanboys are the ones that are talking down on legitimate concerns about the game simply because it makes SWTOR or Bioware look bad instead of actually wanting to improve the game. They believe absolutely nothing with the game is wrong/bad/annoying/buggy and flame any opinions that state otherwise. As long as you don't think Bioware literally ***** rainbows then you aren't a SWTOR fanboy.

It's the old saying, if you can't say something nice don't say it at all. It's much easier for a real game critic to give unbiased information but then again everyone thinks there a critic :) I've enjoyed playing this game because it's new and fresh and then things that the game is missing are just something to look forward to when there introduced :)

also I'm quite happy that not everyone is at the level cap which put me on a downer with WOW because I like to take my time! Tbh I'm an old fogey when it comes to games. Nonetheless I'm very much enjoying myself and looking forward to 1.3 :)

Ganrax I understand what you mean; I've heard the same sentiment from many other people also. On one hand I'm glad that the standard WoW formula has persisted enough that a game like this with a setting I enjoy has been made, because I enjoy the system and I would've been sad to miss it entirely. On the other hand, as many people express, if you play a game like this for several years you can get tired of it, and you don't want to play a new game that is identical to your old one. Since MMO developers today still use some or all of the "WoW formula", it's hard to find an MMO that feels new to play. :confused: I'm sure that if I play SWTOR for several years and then stop, I'll be in the exact same position as you.

I really don't know when the industry as a whole is going to come up with something new for people in your situation to try. I know that the games everyone talks about lately (GW2, Tera, ESO) have some different elements to them, but many things in them are roughly the same as the old games, they don't innovate as much as they could because they want to tap into the existing market, which many people are growing tired of :confused:

Anyway, I want to enjoy this game for as long as I can, and I guess when I get tired of it you'll have to let me know what you've been playing :)

My content right now consists for 2-3 nights of raiding a week(a few hours a night on those) and then sitting around in the fleet staring at my bank/the GTN for the rest of the time if I even log on.

If you limit yourself to only that, you will get burnt out on any game.

I've been there, done that, and completely burnt myself out to where I didn't want to play ANY video game.

Even lead a raiding guild... which will burn you out even faster. Dealing with incompetent players and loot whiners.

Instead of focusing on one aspect of a game, focus on all aspects of a game and just enjoy playing. You don't need to have the best gear. You don't need to raid multiple nights a week. Just relax and have fun and you'll enjoy a game a lot more.

I played wow for 7 years, did everything, raided everything. I loved that game and I love this game. Some things are the same, some are different. However there are some things that are basic to MMORPGs that are being blamed on wow.

Reading some that clearly state their post as a matter of opinion can be interesting, but keep in mind that much of what is stated as factual on these forums (or any game forum) is little more then hyperbole and conjecture based on the personal feelings of the poster. One really has to look long and hard to find anyone testing anything and finding results that can be conclusively demonstrated.

Bottom line here is that if you are enjoying the game, continue to do so and pay little heed to much of the complaining on the message boards. Its what I do anyway. ;p

Edited by Blackardin

A common misconception from ex-WoW players is that games copy WoW. The thing is games like WoW existed before WoW. Why you see the same type of concepts in almost every MMORPG is because that's the recipe that MMORPG's have been using for the last decade plus. It's pretty much what makes a MMORPG a MMORPG in as much as playing mini-games on a map and blowing stuff up makes your typical first-person shooter. A lot of people keep looking for that MMORPG that's not like WoW when it's really futile. They're burned out on the genre not specific games.

It's refreshing to see someone take the time to post a positive remark for the game. I to enjoy SWTOR very much and I look forward to playing the game each day. I have to say that I do stop by the forums each day to breeze through the recent posts and my conclusion is that "generation now" is the problem with most of the people here who have negative posts.

The game has not even been out 1 year and look at all the updates and patch's etc. Granted the CS is a bit lacking but thankfully other than 1 time I had a password issue I have not had to deal with them.

For 15 bucks a month which is like a nickel a day to play I have no complaints there either.

I run a lvl 50 Sith Sorc, a lvl 50 Jedi Sent, a lvl 47 Jedi Shadow, lvl 45 BH, a lvl 19 Commando and a lvl 29 Marauder so Im fairly into the game, if I had to interject my thoughts on what I dislike about the game it would be two things, both of them I can live with as I just move on, they are the cost for Legacy gear, I mean really 250 grand for a BH helmet, really???

The other is the group thing IT IS TOUGH to get groups to do the Heroic missions, I've abandoned so many of them due to outleveling them before I could ever get a group to do them.

However, the group finder looks like promising and it should solve that issue, so my lower lvl alts will be fine.

Again thanks for the positive post and please keep enjoying the game, don't forget there are many of us out here who do enjoy the game and realize that it is only a game.

May the force be with you my friend!!!!!!!