Star Wars: The Old Republic Friends Trial Reward

Maybe I've missed it, but what's the incentive to accept a friend trial over just downloading the game and start the free trial right away?

Wouldn't it generate a lot more sales and subscriptions if you just add the speeder to the new account on first subscription payment, as well? Or at least some kind of item exclusive to the referral program?

Right now it's just the same as if you just went straight for the free trial, except for somebody else getting something nice out of the deal and you won't get anything. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And thus begins the story of how I started multiple accounts on yet another MMO just to get the shinies.

The game's on sale for $20 at Amazon so it'll just cost me $35 to own it.

Personally, I'd be willing to just pay the $35 to BioWare and get the thing if I could avoid the hassle of dealing with a second account since all my friends either already play or refuse to play.

^this! :)

Maybe I've missed it, but what's the incentive to accept a friend trial over just downloading the game and start the free trial right away?

Wouldn't it generate a lot more sales and subscriptions if you just add the speeder to the new account on first subscription payment, as well? Or at least some kind of item exclusive to the referral program?

Right now it's just the same as if you just went straight for the free trial, except for somebody else getting something nice out of the deal and you won't get anything. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

The goal is to encourage you to get your friends to play.

From a business standpoint, it's MUCH cheaper to get your existing customers to bring in new subscribers than it is to "spray & pray" with advertising and other promotions.

So as a reward for generating new business for them, they give you a speeder.

Think of it as a sales commission.

Sure, you could just walk into a car dealership and buy a car but if I'm the one that gets you to buy that car, the dealership will give me money.

Pretty much the same thing here.

The goal is to encourage you to get your friends to play.

From a business standpoint, it's MUCH cheaper to get your existing customers to bring in new subscribers than it is to "spray & pray" with advertising and other promotions.

So as a reward for generating new business for them, they give you a speeder.

Think of it as a sales commission.

Sure, you could just walk into a car dealership and buy a car but if I'm the one that gets you to buy that car, the dealership will give me money.

Pretty much the same thing here.

Well, thanks. I do know what I get out of the deal. But what does my friend get?

What's in it for him to wait for an invite rather than just going to the website and start his free trial right away?

Well, thanks. I do know what I get out of the deal. But what does my friend get?

What's in it for him to wait for an invite rather than just going to the website and start his free trial right away?

This isn't meant to be a reward for your friend, it's meant to be a reward for existing customers.

If your friend wants something, they'll need to subscribe and then refer someone else.

As with the car analogy, your friend who bought the car gets nothing but a new car.

Edited by Rankyn

If your friend buys the game and a game card, do you get the speeder as soon as the code in input? Or do you have to wait for a trigger (30 days after game code perhaps?).

I think since a sub can be cancelled, they would wait until at least 1 payment has been made...

...and I would also like to add that I bought the collectors edition which cost more than a friend who buys the game and a one month subscription and the vendor items, (which you still have to use in game money to buy), are terrible. You would have been better off without this offer because I'm starting to hate bioware.

This isn't meant to be a reward for your friend, it's meant to be a reward for existing customers.

If your friend wants something, they'll need to subscribe and then refer someone else.

As with the car analogy, your friend who bought the car gets nothing but a new car.

Yeah, but you can get the exact same thing without a referral, so why should any one want to be invited or wait for an invitation, if you could just pick it up whenever you like.

Now I know they want to generate box sales with this and more specifically want to raise subscription numbers, but I believe this would work a lot better if you add some perk for the new subscriber as well. It would definitely convince quite a few people to open up an additional account, if this perk was tradable and not BoP, even.

Got mine in the mail today. Thank you guys. I really wanted this speeder. My wife referred our daughter and now we have three accounts (which we all use in the same room... yes we are nerds...) so I'm hoping she gets hers when the billing cycle hits :D

guess I shouldn't have recruited all my friends back during beta. For doing it using word of mouth etc and having them pre order before launch I get nothing. Thanks Bioware glad to see you forget about the loyal customers.

guess I shouldn't have recruited all my friends back during beta. For doing it using word of mouth etc and having them pre order before launch I get nothing. Thanks Bioware glad to see you forget about the loyal customers.

You, me and possibly a few thousand others are in the same boat. We have to convince complete strangers to be our "friends" to accept an invite to something they can get easily just on their own. There needs to be an incentive for the new subscriber to go down the referral road.

I can understand you feel left out and I must admit that I feel the same. Even more so since I own two CE, gave away copies of the game as Christmas presents and now don't have much of a chance to get this collectible. But all of this could be easily fixed with adding a perk for the newcomer.

Even a lesser perk will make the referral more attractive than just the trial, but without a "bribe", this just won't work. You only have to take a look at the refer-a-friend thread at sites like mmorpg.com. It's dead.

Got mine in the mail today. Thank you guys. I really wanted this speeder. My wife referred our daughter and now we have three accounts (which we all use in the same room... yes we are nerds...) so I'm hoping she gets hers when the billing cycle hits :D

Exactly when did you get your speeder?

When you refered the friend? When his 30 day trial period was up and had to start to pay? When he reached level 15 for the free trail period?

Info would help here.

Also, one of the posts said you need to select to recieve SWTOR email. Another said SWTOR emial AND EA email. I wonder which is correct. I had problems logging onto origin. I reset my password and it STILL wont let me login, saying the server is down try again later. Anyone else have this problem. I was just trying to see if I had the preference to recieve emails on or off there. There was not even a phone number to contact them. Sad

Regarding the when you get the speeder the FAQ says the following:

"You will become eligible for the speeder when at least one of the friends you have referred upgrades to a full account, becomes an active subscriber (pays for a recurring monthly subscription or redeems a Pre-Paid Game Time Code), and
passes their 30 days of play time included with the purchase of the Game. Within 72 hours, you will then receive an in-game message with the Kurtob Alliance Speeder in your in-game mail
."

Also, they can play for free until level 15 now. The friend reward won't kick in until 30 days after they buy the game and have either subbed or redeemed a Game Code.

I was thinking of inviting my nephew & bro-in-law and with the free trial, they wouldn't have to shell out anything if they find they don't like it or don't have the time. But they'd only be playing until the end of August - at least my nephew's already pre-ordered GW2.

On a separate note - boy are the fleets gonna be a mess with these things flying around! :eek:

it's exclusive for now, but in 4 months they will give it to everyone a couple shades of color different, like the razor crystal.

That's not necessarily true. In wow at least the old zebra mount was exclusive and was even removed from the game so those that got one have a unique mount no longer available. I happen to have one on my paladin, but it's not account wide like here.

I did the whole friend trial ordeal and he ended up buying the game and then paying for 2 months. However, he isn't playing right now.

Will I still get this speeder?

How can we tell if we're eligible or not?