Full expertise is a waste

PhDWarrior

Hey guys,

I am not sure this has been brought up. But has anyone else noticed that getting full partisan or conqueror gear is actually a waste of gear?

I say this because you can omit I would say 2 pieces of PVP gear for PVE gear (lets say belt and bracers) and still have expertise around 2000. The 2 pvp pieces would have contributed 218 expertise to your total, but in this case it adds a measly 18- equivalent to a tiny percentage gain in dmg increase and dmg reduction.

It is far more beneficial therefore to wear excellent PVE belt and bracers (with lvl 72 gear) to increase your numbers.

Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid? We were sold the premise that the order of quality for gear in PVP would be: PVE gear<partisan gear< conqueror gear, this is clearly not the case. Now I know they are still tweaking bolster as we speak and intend on fixing bugs regarding augments, but this feels like a problem that really lies at the core of the bolster-expertise interaction.

We need to reach a point with expertise where for all levels of PVE gear (lvl 50-72) you do not have as much power as someone with PVP gear on. Otherwise, the gear becomes effectively useless and the ill-informed nubs to the game will just blindly buy all the pvp gear they can get their hands on only to discover that they have done themselves a disservice.

I apologise of this comes under the banner of QQing about bolster, but I feel it is specific enough of a point to warrant its own discussion.

-Lin

Gear of lvl 69+ loses about 50 expertise per piece.

I run 2 pve 69 weps atm and have 1911 expertise. I'm thinking of maybe going pvp offhand to up expertise esp if i ever score a 72 mainhand. The debate atm is whether the dmg increase of these high end pve weapons offset the benefits of expertise at that lvl. It wouldn't be worth it in any other slots since weapons increase dmg in areas other than the typical stats other gear has. And yes this is stupid.

Edited by AngusFTW

Gear of lvl 69+ loses about 50 expertise per piece.

I run 2 pve 69 weps atm and have 1911 expertise. I'm thinking of maybe going pvp offhand to up expertise esp if i ever score a 72 mainhand. The debate atm is whether the dmg increase of these high end pve weapons offset the benefits of expertise at that lvl. It wouldn't be worth it in any other slots since weapons increase dmg in areas other than the typical stats other gear has. And yes this is stupid.

Thanks for the response,

I was not actually aware that there is an additional reduction in expertise given for a high level PVE item compared to a low level one. Is this what you are suggesting? My comment was based on a lvl 63 EWH belt (that I have not removed yet) that seemed to still bring my expertise stat to 2008, despite its now lack of expertise.

-Lin

And player, who geared in elite war hero gear (without expertise, pve gear for 50 lvl), on wz have 1800-1900 expertise.... And me, geared in partisan / conqueror - 1890 expertise. Bolster should be removed from 55 lvl warzones.

And player, who geared in elite war hero gear (without expertise, pve gear for 50 lvl), on wz have 1800-1900 expertise.... And me, geared in partisan / conqueror - 1890 expertise. Bolster should be removed from 55 lvl warzones.

are your crystals with experties or crit/power?

old pvp relics or new ones?

Sounds like you could be doing something wrong and blame others for it.

Crystal (mainhand) - power, relics (+60 exp + 120 power) - old ewh, else - partisan / conqueror. I'm not trying to blame others. I saw it day by day - bolster don't work correct. Edited by Pciloid

Crystal (mainhand) - power, relics (+60 exp + 120 power) - old ewh, else - partisan / conqueror. I'm not trying to blame others. I saw it day by day - bolster don't work correct.

ewh relics lose a lot of expertise so its probably that. Also i assume if you have the new pvp weapons you wanna keep the crystals as expertise to get max exp

The new power proc relics are pretty awesome especially if you get a partisan and a conqueror one since they can proc together no real reason to stay with wh.

Although they may nerf the double procs so dont go binning the old ewh relics.

Edited by AngusFTW

Crystal (mainhand) - power, relics (+60 exp + 120 power) - old ewh, else - partisan / conqueror. I'm not trying to blame others. I saw it day by day - bolster don't work correct.

that's why. drop power crystal for expertiese crystal. and replace ewh relics, either for pve ones (waste as they won't trigger on pvp ground by description, dunno if actually *not* working as intended) or better, for pvp ones, they are not expensive, and one proc power + one proc damage will give you far more in pvp and pve. that is first thing I upgraded for my capped RWZ comms.

after you do those 2 (4 things, 2 crystals weapon/offhand, 2 relics = 4 items) you will be fine and above pve gear again.

I wansn't being mean, it was just expression. Like when healer casts blame on tank for being squishy, while he (healer) should be clensing debuffs so tank is heal-able.

edit:you still haveto take into account, that person with weirdly to high stats, is using bolster augment exploit/bug.

also, is your gear fully augmented?

Edited by Atramar

Well that is your problem. You are using old gear and power crystals.

Tip: Partisan and Conq relic procs stack.

Edited by JustinxDuff

The only tweaking they should be doing is to get rid of it in its entirety

nope. Bolster is good. it prevents pvp min maxed gods from slaughterring pvp starters and makes pve'rs easyier start into world of pvp.

You will still out perform them with pvp gear, just slightly less.

yes, it needs tweaking, but everywere besides ranked WZ, it's good thing

and don't bring up recruit gear idea, they tried it and it was a fail.

Edited by Atramar

Breaking news!!!

Bolster sucks, and doesn't work as intended at level 55!!

Details at 11

People who claim it doesn't work really have no idea what they're talking about. Bolster sort of doesn't work, but it's not for reasons you believe.

Conqueror is rating 154. Partisan is rating 150. PvE gear at rating 152 or below gets 100% the expertise of Conqueror/Partisan (well, more like 99%, but you'll still have expertise capped if your expertise is say, 2016 instead of 2018). Rating 152 gear = purple level 54 crafted items. Arkanian gear, which I think is rating 158, loses 40-50 expertise per piece, an amount that is absolutely unrecoverable by their stats.

Therefore the solution is to use rating 152 gear that is superior to Partisan (150) but still have 99% the expertise. Note that this is still strictly inferior to Conqueror, but it's way easier to find some tradeskill purple level 54s than Conqueror gear, and they do fine until you have Conqueror. That said tradeskill stuff covers only a limited number of slots, because you still need your set bonus.

People who claim it doesn't work really have no idea what they're talking about. Bolster sort of doesn't work, but it's not for reasons you believe.

Conqueror is rating 154. Partisan is rating 150. PvE gear at rating 152 or below gets 100% the expertise of Conqueror/Partisan (well, more like 99%, but you'll still have expertise capped if your expertise is say, 2016 instead of 2018). Rating 152 gear = purple level 54 crafted items. Arkanian gear, which I think is rating 158, loses 40-50 expertise per piece, an amount that is absolutely unrecoverable by their stats.

Therefore the solution is to use rating 152 gear that is superior to Partisan (150) but still have 99% the expertise. Note that this is still strictly inferior to Conqueror, but it's way easier to find some tradeskill purple level 54s than Conqueror gear, and they do fine until you have Conqueror. That said tradeskill stuff covers only a limited number of slots, because you still need your set bonus.

As long as there is a way to exploit, it is not working as intended.

Crafted level 53 mods are rating 156.

Does anyone else find it sad that these topics even exist? It should be 100% without question that full PvP gear is the best option for warzones.

The fact that you have always needed some PvE gear to achieve your best stat potential and with the mess of a system bolster has been and now the augment exploit paints a pretty good picture of where PvP ranks in their priorities and understanding of what the players want.

Crafted level 53 mods are rating 156.

Crafted level 54 purple implants are 152. Purple 28 mods are 156 (and do suffer a larger decline in expertise as their rating is above Conqueror).

Like I said it is not as easy to 'exploit' it as people think, because rating 152 gear isn't something you happen to stumble upon in large numbers. And 152 gear is still not as good as their rating 154 Conqueror counterparts, though it does save you a lot of time while you've something that's almost as good while you work on the pieces that have no rating 152 counterparts (any set armor piece, for example).

Does anyone else find it sad that these topics even exist? It should be 100% without question that full PvP gear is the best option for warzones.

The fact that you have always needed some PvE gear to achieve your best stat potential and with the mess of a system bolster has been and now the augment exploit paints a pretty good picture of where PvP ranks in their priorities and understanding of what the players want.

It'd be sad if it's true, but it's not.

The closest you can get is rating 152 gear which is roughly -30 endurance -2 expertise +40 power. Multiply those numbers by 10 to see how this tradeoff is generally a bad idea (imagine if your power proc relic causes you to lose 3000 HP for the duration it's on, suddenly it wouldn't be so awesome).

yes, it's sad that people didn't understand dev post and try to be smarter then avarage bear, adding pve mods (power/crit crystals, pve armorings,pve barrels/hilts) or old pvp gear (wh/ewh relocs) or even better use pve weapon and adding expertiese crystals or enhancment leaving rest pve (so whole weapon is not being bolstered cause of expertiese on it).

and then complain of not having 2018 expertiese, since they gimped them selves.

excluding exploits, it was already stated, that full new pvp set is better in combat. there could be few exceptions, as always people are quite crafty.

yes, it's sad that people didn't understand dev post and try to be smarter then avarage bear, adding pve mods (power/crit crystals, pve armorings,pve barrels/hilts) or old pvp gear (wh/ewh relocs) or even better use pve weapon and adding expertiese crystals or enhancment leaving rest pve (so whole weapon is not being bolstered cause of expertiese on it).

and then complain of not having 2018 expertiese, since they gimped them selves.

excluding exploits, it was already stated, that full new pvp set is better in combat. there could be few exceptions, as always people are quite crafty.

The exception is more along the lines of practicality. Just because Conqueror gear is the best, doesn't mean it's feasible for any normal people to get it in 2 weeks or even 2 months. By finding the slots where PvE gear is almost good enough this allows you to put your resources into getting the Conqueror pieces that are clearly superior (any set bonus piece, for example) knowing that your other pieces can be covered by cheaply obtainable PvE gear and function almost as well. But I think this is a good thing. Certainly on a second character I'm not looking forward to grinding out Conqueror again. I suspect you can simply get 4 pieces of Partisan for set bonus, Conqueror Relic, Partisan Relic (for power proc X 2), and that'd be 'good enough'. No you're never as strong as a full Conqueror character, but you should be within 5% of him if not smaller, and that's something I can live with for a non primary character. Of course I still plan on getting that 5% eventually, but it's something I can live with for a while on characters I don't care too much about.

The exception is more along the lines of practicality. Just because Conqueror gear is the best, doesn't mean it's feasible for any normal people to get it in 2 weeks or even 2 months. By finding the slots where PvE gear is almost good enough this allows you to put your resources into getting the Conqueror pieces that are clearly superior (any set bonus piece, for example) knowing that your other pieces can be covered by cheaply obtainable PvE gear and function almost as well. But I think this is a good thing. Certainly on a second character I'm not looking forward to grinding out Conqueror again. I suspect you can simply get 4 pieces of Partisan for set bonus, Conqueror Relic, Partisan Relic (for power proc X 2), and that'd be 'good enough'. No you're never as strong as a full Conqueror character, but you should be within 5% of him if not smaller, and that's something I can live with for a non primary character. Of course I still plan on getting that 5% eventually, but it's something I can live with for a while on characters I don't care too much about.

Exactly and IMO this is how it should be. There is still a carrot there to works towards which is why many of us log in everyday, but in the meantime you can be competitive instead of getting pummeled in two seconds.

Exactly and IMO this is how it should be. There is still a carrot there to works towards which is why many of us log in everyday, but in the meantime you can be competitive instead of getting pummeled in two seconds.

People still are getting pummeled in two seconds, and it's not because they need to LTP. There is NO way to ever eliminate someone having a gear advantage. The only question is who should have it. Seems logical that those who put the time in should have it, but they have instead tried to impliment a system that somehow provides a tiny advantage while provide great help and advantage to those who haven't obtained the end pvp gear.

In trying to minimize a gear divide, they have, in fact, created a worse one, and due to exploits and other issues, it has the potential to really put someone at a significant disadvantage. We all agree this has been done poorly, but looks to me like the devs are going to have to so contort the mechanics/coding of this game to make something work (and realistically, it won't be the best solution..just one that has the fewest side effects). Just admit defeat, put the concept back to the way it was before and put a better set of starter pvp gear out there like the old recruit gear. Make another tier if you have to.