Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Immortal / Defense Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Immortal / Defense Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 10:03 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Immortal and Defense Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

MandFlurry's Avatar


MandFlurry
04.16.2019 , 12:36 PM | #2
What i'd like to see, and a lot of other Tank players, is for us to be able to dish out more damage, and still be a Tank.

A lot of military people like me, that play Tanks, still don't get in an educated way why Tanks don't do good damage, and only shield people. We think that MMO developers obviously don't know warfare, or what a Tank really means.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

swiftrav's Avatar


swiftrav
04.16.2019 , 01:01 PM | #3
I’d like to see an enchantment to some of our ability’s like maybe adding a slam to force choke like some NPC do on oricion.
As far doing more damage as a tank maybe a slight boots to the dps but there has to be some sort of trade off to The tank spec (I am also a former military man so I get where you’re coming from) I just think in the term of balance they can’t make The damage output of tank spec to much.

As for an education on why tank have never done that much damage is as I was saying there has to be a trade off to create a balance (I.e dps could ask why can’t they have more defensive stats.)The point is that so each class needs the other class in some way dps can dish it out put can’t take a hit and the other way is tanks can take the hits but it takes forever to dps something down I hope that kinda help on the reason why tank don’t do a lot of damage

MandFlurry's Avatar


MandFlurry
04.16.2019 , 01:52 PM | #4
Yeah, i know there would have to be a trade off to how much we can do in mitigating damage and such, but that's what i think Tactical is for, to be able to trade that off for more damage, which i would be okay with.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

Lowarro's Avatar


Lowarro
04.16.2019 , 03:37 PM | #5
Guardian is my favorite tank in game, but is missing a basic tool that the other tanks have: A high threat force pull/grapple move. I'd love to see that added in some form.
Companion Master My Referral Code
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I think that you have beaten the game . Congrats, that is crazy!

-eric

swiftrav's Avatar


swiftrav
04.16.2019 , 08:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MandFlurry View Post
Yeah, i know there would have to be a trade off to how much we can do in mitigating damage and such, but that's what i think Tactical is for, to be able to trade that off for more damage, which i would be okay with.
If that is the case and I hope it is I totally agree you

Mzuta's Avatar


Mzuta
04.16.2019 , 09:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MandFlurry View Post
What i'd like to see, and a lot of other Tank players, is for us to be able to dish out more damage, and still be a Tank.

A lot of military people like me, that play Tanks, still don't get in an educated way why Tanks don't do good damage, and only shield people. We think that MMO developers obviously don't know warfare, or what a Tank really means.
Before they just nerfed juggs i used to solo flashpoints with my lvl 70 jugg and a lvl 50 companion. We need more damage to steam roll the competition so if they could set it back to where it was before the nerf it would be nice.

Kaizersan's Avatar


Kaizersan
04.16.2019 , 09:23 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Immortal and Defense Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Jedi Guardians saber throw could have a tac item that makes it act like twin saber throw as it hit enemies in a straight line rather then a single target or another example a tac item that allows force leap to hit a 2nd target if one is near the main target for half damage to 2nd target and half focus build and after it leaps to the 2nd target it leaps back to the main target.

Mordarion's Avatar


Mordarion
04.16.2019 , 11:16 PM | #9
The thing I would like to see is some more group synergy. Compared to what sentinels do for the group it always struck me as odd that they buffed the whole group and we did not. In addition we do not have a pull. So what about ability to increase group synergy and give us a comparable skill to other tanks.

So say that we add something to Force Leap where out target is now rooted or perhaps has a damage buff. So while we can not bring the target to us, if we go to the target we now have some tactical advantage. This fits with the image of Jedi charging to battle as the leading edge of combat but also makes us more valuable to the group.

Thanks for the consideration.
<Rapid Serenity>... on Darth Malgus

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
04.17.2019 , 12:41 AM | #10
Honestly... I'm fine with the set bonus as it is currently. But as I'll probably be complaining about whatever they come up with, I feel obliged to have ideas.

Guardian tanks biggest "struggle" (and I use that loosely, as I really dont have an issue with it) is ranged mobs that are spread out. Our AoE threat generation is strongly dependent on guardian slash, which must be procced by a single target low threat ability, and the saber reflect utility allowing for high threat on everything. Sweep and cyclone slash are useful in this regard, but compared to PT and Sin aoe is the one area we are lower. Maybe something that increases the diameter and threat built by cyclone slash?

I suck at idea generating.