4v4: problems with acid pit and turtle comp

Megatfx

I feel like pve is going to take a new shape with 4v4.

I foresee double or triple healer with tanks taking over. Why? Bc of the implementation of acid.

Double/triple healer teams will be able to more effortlessly heal through a standard teams dps (tank 2 dps healer), long enough to turtle until acid dot begins ticking. Then stunlock enemy healer with your one tank while you have 2-3 healers keeping you and everyone alive until the standard team succumbs to acid pressure.

The meta will eventually evolve to this, simply have a ten minute timer on each match which awards winner to the team with the most damage if a stalemate. This will encourage at least two dps setups and trying to go for kills.

In fact why is this best of several matches? Why are you recreating the wheel. Wow already has an amazing and refined system in place. COPY IT...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i understood you will queue arena with roles and you wont be able to respec after queues.

I think the objective is to have always double deeps healer tank comps.

Were not sure how that will work live tho.

The danger of a turtle troll comp that surives acid is annoying.

IMO this acid crap is a joke, they should just make the tiebraker based on DMG DONE.

Why? While far from perfect (the fact you did more damage didnt mean you played better), this kind of tiebreaker will, AT LEAST, favor more offensive minded comps IMO.

You honestly haven't read anything Alex said..lmao

Maybe you havent read anything he said. I suggest you reread it. For solo qs this wont be the case but premade 4 man qs it will.

Sudden Death will consist of a toxic gas cloud at the boundaries of the Arena area that will slowly close in until the entire Arena is covered and have a few different effects on anyone unlucky enough to get caught in it. The toxic cloud will take the user out of stealth, place him in combat and deal apply a Damage-over-Time effect. Once this effect is on the character it can be dispelled only by leaving the gas cloud. Last Team Standing rules still apply during this Sudden Death and the team that remains standing longest wins!

Maybe you havent read anything he said. I suggest you reread it. For solo qs this wont be the case but premade 4 man qs it will.

"We have tried this and the HP amount and knockbacks didn't give them a significant advantage over other tools that other classes have. Since the gas deals damage based off of health percentage and goes through defenses having more HP doesn't directly mean you can last longer in the gas."

How about make the acid to prevent healing after you get "splashed" by it? Then we are left with a % damage so if you have 100 hp or 10000 hp its the same thing.

Because you can easily force push a player into it ending the game with minimal effort.

I mentioned this in the original discussion thread as well. What stop 4 op healers from just staying in stealth as long as possible sapping enemies etc, and then when the gas cloud comes out, go to the middle, place 4 orbitals, stand in them and cross heal eachother. People thinking this will be more "pvp" if these issues aren't able to be answered are wrong.

Lawyered.

Who do you think is going to last longer in sudden death? Triple healer or single healer genius? Duh no two teams can heal each other forever in it, but the winner goes to last man standing, a cc chain on the single healer is going to wipe his team while the triple healer outlasts the dots.

Seriously... Duh

No comp will be able to survive the Sudden Death effect. Please see my post about this from yesterday for more information.

I don't believe he is talking about surviving the gas indefinitely, just long enough for the other team to die. With a healer heavy team you just live long enough for sudden death to start, and throw out enough heals to last the gas longer than your opponent. I know it ticks a percentage of health, but it says nothing about healing while under the effect. For instance, a Sage throws out a salvation on the team while a scoundrel spams emergency medpacs in the gas. Meanwhile the teams Guardian tank locks down the enemy healer to stop their healing.

Is there any mechanic to stop this strategy?

No I think he is trying to come up with a strat to win the, sudden death part of the match if it goes too long...assuming that tank/heals combos would be able to tank/heal through the dot damage better than a group of dps.

Ding ding we have a winner.

Alex do some testing on this, i see you'll find the healer team will and should outlive the acid over dps comps 100% of the time. Triple op healers one jugg tank will wipe the enemy team in sudden death every time and will survive to sudden death every time. All the jugg has to do is back hand into force push the sole enemy healer while acid has encompassed the entire arena for his team to die while the triple healer keeps his team alive long enough for the enemy team to die. This method will be abused.

Could add a debuff if too many healers are present.

1 healer no debuff

2 healers 25% healing reduction.

3 healers 50% healing reduction.

4 healers 75% healing reduction.

I just don't see why someone would want to do this for 15 minutes as its the anti fun but then again if it gets you a rating...

• Dev Post

Sorry everyone, I did a bad and left out a key factor in the Sudden Death gas effect. You won't receive any healing while in the gas.

So to sum up the gas effects are:

1. Takes the character out of stealth
  2. Places the character in combat
  3. Places a Damage-over-Time effect on the character that deal % of Health damage every tick
  4. Prevents the character from receiving healing effects

Theory craft away! :sul_cool:

1 healer no debuff

I just don't see why someone would want to do this for 15 minutes as its the anti fun but then again if it gets you a rating...

To win. Simply to win

No I think he is trying to come up with a strat to win the, sudden death part of the match if it goes too long...

I wonder how much of an "if" it actually is. Even today's ranked teams are ridiculously hard to take down, and would be even harder if they didn't get distracted by these pesky objectives.

Healing in this game is more powerful than damage, which tilts arena matches heavily towards no one dying.

I'd probably expect typical comps closer to 2 tanks and 2 healers, though, the most aggressive viable option being Tank, Heal, Offtank/DPS, Offheal/DPS. Two healers is enough to heal through a full team's damage and two tanks make sure even a coordinated focus burst won't take anyone down.

Edited by B-Dick

1 healer no debuff

It would be faster to just play the match, beat the other team, q again, beat another team then to wait for sudden death.

Sorry everyone, I did a bad and left out a key factor in the Sudden Death gas effect. You won't receive any healing while in the gas.

So to sum up the gas effects are:

1. Takes the character out of stealth
  2. Places the character in combat
  3. Places a Damage-over-Time effect on the character that deal % of Health damage every tick
  4. Prevents the character from receiving healing effects

Theory craft away! :sul_cool:

Problem solved. Good job bioware.

It would be faster to just play the match, beat the other team, q again, beat another team then to wait for sudden death.

You'll always have people with a mindset to take the easiest path possible but with no healing received during the acid dot should help out.