After 7+ years of playing...

CassandraP

I've played SWTOR on and off since beta. I was one of the lucky ones to get picked to participate in one of the beta weekends. I am a founder. I have legendary status from completing all 8 stories and quest-lines.

After 7+ years of playing, I've decided I prefer playing Empire side only. My favorite class is the Sith Inquisitor, but don't ask me to choose between sorcerer or assassin because they're both bad-*** in their own ways. I also love playing the Sith Warrior [both advanced classes] and the Bounty Hunter [both advanced classes]. I won't play the agent anymore though. I don't care for the story and it's not my play-style at all. Sorry to all you agent lovers out there.

If I was forced to play Republic side again, I would play a Trooper. I will always love Aric Jorgan. But the Knight, Consular, and Smuggler were just never as fun as my Sith or my Bounty Hunters.

What about you? How long have you been playing? What is your favorite side? Do you have a favorite side? What are your favorite classes?

Been playing since around October 2016. I've completed the entire storyline through Ossus on 8 characters. I prefer the Republic primarily because I prefer playing the good guy, and everyone says that being a LS Imp or DS Pub makes for silly story choices in this game.

I will say that sometimes the devs' idea of what constitutes a light or dark choice is backwards and shows their real-world bias, so it's nice to play my Imps to feel at liberty to make certain choices that the game considers dark. I do routinely make LS choices even with my Imps, however, because I know that it won't affect my overall alignment at this point. I get DS points for everything that I do, so making some LS convo choices doesn't hurt things.

I've also invested a lot of time and energy into my guild on the Pub side, but not so much on the Imp side. That sort of dictates my priorities for me.

As classes go, any ranged DPS suits me best.

Edited by MorseGod

My favourite story would be JK, followed by SW, then BH, then SI and IA, then trooper and smuggler and my least favourite would be the JC.

Smuggler is a fun character to play, but i'm not too fond of the story itself, JC, well not really fond of either the character, the story or the crew, that's why it comes last. Trooper is mainly saved because Aric is such a great romance.

As far as faction go, i guess i'd be more of a pub person, even though most of the pub side stories come last for me, as it seems i like playing the good guys more than the bad guys as my imps all ended up being quite decent people in the end, and they will all turn against the Empire if allowed to.

Edited by Goreshaga

Same as you OP, beta, founder, been here 7 years pretty much solid, except for the couple of months where real life issues kept me mostly away.

My favorite side is the Empire. My favorite classes are SW, JK and IA. SI is fun too. None of the other classes touch those ones for me and I've played them all, all aspects of M/F - DS/LS/N and have Legendary status. If I play Republic it's usually as JK. The others just don't excite me.

I love the empire so much, many of my Jedi want to be able to defect and become a Darth.

Edited by Lunafox

I prefer the Republic and mostly my smuggler. I do have characters on both side but I tend to play my dark side characters (empire) when I need to kill someone, like when the post office has decided to lose a box I mail and tells me to be patient after a week. Right, time to kill someone......

Faction: Empire

Story: Agent/Warrior/Inquisitor/Knight/Consular/Trooper (in that order)

Done with stories. Done them to death

Class: Commando Healer/Sor Cor

Started: Right before ROTHC

Most played MMORPG by Far :D

Edited by Zerileth

2567 days (7 years)

Republic

Jedi Sentinel

A subscriber every day of that time

I'm just a little behind you....

2,450 days (6 years 9 months)

Prefer Republic but also have Empire Characters

also a Jedi Sentinel (main) but have one of each class for both sides

and like you, subscribed the whole time...

Edited by denavin

LOL...i'm almost embarrassed to mention...

2,610 days (joined 12/24/11...It was my christmas present to me)

I remember wanting a new game, never played KOTOR, but i remember reading about it so i looked it up and hear i am.

It's funny. I have legendary status, pretty much champion rep with every faction except kuat and ossus but for almost the first year to 2 years I refused to play imp side. I'm old enough that I can say I've seen all the original trilogy movies in the theaters and growing up i wanted to be the Jedi Knight. Then one night I decided to roll a mara (shocking), and i can say I really do enjoy the imp side too, so much that I want to build my knowledge on that side of the hill too.

Regarding the stories, in my head I love my knight and smuggler as they were the first classes I played. Then I like SW, SI, JC*, BH, with Trooper and Agent taking up the rear.

2 things...first let's start with me putting the agent story low (my opinion), its not star warsy (is that a thing?) enough and to be honest the story, while good, is predictable. The trooper story...3 words "for the republic" gets old.

Well I guess 3 things. The JC story. (why there's an asterisk) It drags and it is monotonous, but its star warsy (I'm making this a thing) and here's why. In my opinion again Jedi were also the diplomats for the republic because they held no bias except for the republic, so sorry that's the story that has to be told as this class and yes it can drag but that's the JC. not fun story (FUN to play) but needed as a jedi character in this game.

sorry so long a post, but this has been on my mind for a while and yes i enjoy playing.

and i've been a sub since my first day playing

Edited by iowaboynca

I prefer the Republic and mostly my smuggler. I do have characters on both side but I tend to play my dark side characters (empire) when I need to kill someone, like when the post office has decided to lose a box I mail and tells me to be patient after a week. Right, time to kill someone......

I lol'd when I read this. You're funny!

Been playing since Feb 2012 so 7 years. Subbed for most of it though took a couple of months off back when they started up free to play.

Although I enjoy both Imperial and Republic I prefer Republic. My favourite classes are force users, sorry boring and obvious answer there but this is Star Wars after all. I just love playing a force user that doesn't follow all their rules. The code is just too restricting. Knight is my favourite but when I fancy a bit of murder and mayhem I play an Inquisitor, a really psychopathic crazy Sorc.

I've been playing this game since June 2014, and I'm still going through few of the class stories. (Been a very slow player, I know, even though I have never taken breaks from the game :D) Still need to finish Trooper and after that, Knight.

Inquisitor and Agent were the first classes I completed back in 2015, with Inquisitor being my main through Sor, KoTFE and KoTET. Now my Agent is my main, with Consular on Republic-side acting as the main there.

My favorite class stories are Agent, Consular, Inquisitor and Warrior. Trooper, Hunter, Knight and Smuggler all have great stories, but there's just something that makes the aforementioned four my overall favorites. :)

Edited by Rebamcfan

Been playing since July of 2013 and I'm ambivalent as to faction.

I'm just glad this wasn't a clickbait "I'm leaving" thread.

That was my first impression too. Been playing since Spring 2013 and likewise ambivalent to faction.

As far as story goes, my top three are SW, IA and BH. As far as class goes, I prefer stealthers, particularly Shadows/Assassins. There's an irony that these two more enjoyable classes are at the bottom for class stories [JC improves sharply after Act 1, SI is in dead last]. I also like Gunnery Commandos; they're an easy class to play.

Edited by Ardrossan

I've been around since the beta as well. Did all 3 class stories on 3 different servers, ended up with 40+ characters on Star Forge that I'm trying to trim down. Haven't really played much since 5.0 as the CXP grind pretty much demotivated me (there's just something about a game emphasizing RNG that can't write a decent RNG generator). With the last patch though, I'm done. Sub is up in 2 days and will not be renewed. Since the patch, EVERY SINGLE toon I try to play runs into a new game-breaking bug. Which I'd expect if I was trying to test games written by high school beginning programming students, but not by a so-called AAA game publisher.

So long all, may the Force serve you well (or be with you for those who're Jedi inclined).

I prefer the Republic primarily because I prefer playing the good guy, and everyone says that being a LS Imp or DS Pub makes for silly story choices in this game.

I would never say such thing... Even NPCs for both factions can be on various degree of LS\DS (like Darth Silthar in Tatooine planetary quest seems to be very friendly with his team and goes as far as trying to preserve the culture of people who hurt him and of course there is noble Lord Praven in Knight story; on the other hand you have 'end justifies means' people like Garza and Saresh in high places of the Republic).

So, LS works for some imps (Sith can pretty much do what they want, Sith code is about following your heart so they can be as nice or cruel as they feel at the moment; Agent has no reason to be overly cruel or evil because he's all about efficiency; BH is a freelancer and in theory can accept any contract he or she wants), DS works for some Pubs (Trooper is a soldier on the battefield and with a really nasty superior - some evil \ bad choices can be expected in the heat of battle; Smuggler is a freelancer and in theory can accept any job offered). Only JK and JC don't work as well as DS because such person would be kicked from the Order and\or imprisoned as a danger to the Order and the Republic.

As for me - joined March 2016

Faction: Empire

Class: Lightning Sorcerer

I've been playing since January 2012, but often had breaks. I've mainly played the vanilla content and have a lot of alts.

I have a legendary status, so I played all class stories. I love the Empire but hate the Republic, the Smuggler is the only Pub class I really enjoy. My favorite classes are the Imperial Agent, Sith Inquisitor and Warrior.

This game is just too addictive, even with it's flaws.

I have been playing since June 20th, 2013

I started playing when I was 13.

I was free to play for about 10 months, then I decided to purchase 2400 CC at Target (when they still had the game codes) I was very excited about the leap from free to play to preferred status. Then on August 5th, 2016, I purchased the amazon bundle. Words can not describe how excited I was when I entered that code into my account. I had saved everything I could get my hands on for that code. Once the sub time expired, I played as preferred status until April 27th, 2018. I am still a sub today.

This is going to be my 6th year on SWTOR.

I usually play a little bit of everything. I like the Empire more than the Republic because of how goody-goody Republic stories can be.

EDIT: I really enjoy being the healer in group missions, regardless of the faction.

Edited by MNBullsEyeBen

After 7+ years of playing, I've decided I prefer playing Empire side only. (...)

What about you? How long have you been playing? What is your favorite side? Do you have a favorite side? What are your favorite classes?

I am here since beta. It took me maybe 7 hours of playing to know that there is only one good side: the Republic!

Favourite class: trooper, followed by smuggler. Don't like the jedi classes too much. Imperial versions are not fun for me at all.

I’ve played off and on since December 2011, founder, and legendary.. I did enjoy all 8 class stories, but that was so long ago as to remember favorites, though JK ultimately was best, most Star Wars, and the companions made the most sense.

Remember, at launch, we got 5 comps meant to cover light and dark, tank healer melee and ranged. Those companions agreed or disagreed with your decisions, resulting in prestige gains or losses, which did or did not make the fights easier. We all had companions we wanted to shove out of the airlock. At least to me, Lord Scorge was dark to my lightside, but he had a purpose very class specific. T7 was there when the Jedi Temple was sacked. Kira was a daughter. Doc was a great healer, and ranged for pot shots.

Now it’s a one side fits all companion, and now the most important thing is whether we believe a comp is safe from BWs knife. A safe toon, like hk51, before we spend millions on comp gifts.

My original, first toon, and current main was started on prophecy of the five... after a couple of months of endless pvp, I moved my shadow to harbinger, until it was merged into SS.

I’ve taken 6 pubs to Ossus, as well as one BH. The rest are all still 50s. Just as some of you don’t like the goody goody pubs, I grow tired very fast of the baddy bad imps. Once the class stories were over, that’s was enough proof BioWare can’t write a smart Sith, just a cruel one.

None of my toons were goody good... chaotic good maybe. I worked with bad guys when I needed to, surrender was not always an option. Saresh for instance, well she died all 7 times. I never thought she was too aggressive, but when she conspired to kill me on Dk, well she finally crossed that line.

You know during The Pacific War, it’s true the Japanese thought surrender was without honor, but they were not all fanatics... the real truth is, Marines were not inclined to take prisoners.

War is bloody and there’s plenty of hate and anger to go around. My toons would try to do the right thing, and sometimes that was to put certain bad guys down. Aggressive negotiations.

I'm a founder played off and on a long time ago up until january 2015 when I finally quit. Just picked the game back up a couple of weeks ago. My first char was an Imp Op, almost quit then, cause the story ending was pretty disappointing, but I figured I'd just try a new char and made my sith warrior, which was a much better story and the gameplay feels like you're a really strong sith, good stuff and my favorite. Then came my sith inquisitor cause I wanted a healer, don't really remember the storyline... think it was kind of.. OK ish. Wanted to eventually get through all the chars so I made a republic trooper, got through the first 2 chapters, snoozefest, wasn't interested, game got stale & I quit.

Since I came back, I got through both the new storylines on my warrior, finished chapter 3 on my trooper and started a smuggler... smuggler seems like a pretty good storyline, but I'm only 1/2 way through chapter 1 on it. Stories are pretty hit or miss whether I like them or not probably because I like playing as the bad guy, but sith warrior is the only one I want to actually play, the rest are just, fun story, back to my warrior. Smuggler seems like it'll be a pretty gun story though... Ran into the problem of ruining my warrior in chapter 9, turning him into a monk, so I'm debating remaking my warrior.... don't really wanna lose my social/valor ranks and spend the time on a story I've already done... but I also don't want to play an impotent char qq. Maybe I'll make a dark side jedi knight, and support the empire at the end of the storyline... anyone know if that actually swaps your faction?

Edited by PyroAmos

I started playing after f2p was announced but before it actually started. I really wasn't originally interested in the game but my fiance's a Founder and I guess I spent more time than I thought looking over his shoulder when he was playing to the point he surprised me with getting a copy set up on my computer with a month sub so all I had to do was change the password and just start playing.

Since then, I've been on and off with the game depending on real life situation and interest. If they ever offered a Lifetime Sub, I would buy it without question since unlike other games I've dropped, I always keep coming back to this one.

My first character was a Cyborg SW that I think only made it up to Balmorra before I deleted her for some reason. I'm currently at a total of 16 characters, one of each class on two servers. Used to be more but with what server consolidations/mergers over the years, I crunch things down to 8 a server. My favorites are the Imperial classes and the Smuggler because I've always felt like everything we see in the franchise is filtered through the Republic/Rebellion/Jedi perspective and this game offers something different. I play LS leaning on all my roster just because I can't bring myself to take the Stupid Evil choices that so much of the DS options are. Most of my roster are Sith Purebloods just because I find them fascinating.