FPS Again

FidoVsetin

Hey all,

I just wanted to tell you my latest findings about FPS of SWTOR on my laptop:

Its Asus G51, Core i5 520M, nVidia GeForce 360M GTS, 4GB RAM.

I even bought 8GB RAM kit to try RAMDISK, thread can be found here on the forum.

So now I have 8GB RAM, but it didnt help.

I tried almost everything I found over the internet, tried every fix, from changes of *.cfg files,

RAMDISK, graphic settings, windows settings... and many many more.

BUT THE ONLY THINK WHICH HELPED:

Deleting (Renaming) swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor file. I didnt see almost anything about combat, but on Alderaan WZ, I had about 30-40 FPS, which is perfect. Only that tiny problem about not seeing bolts, sabers etc... So it was basicly unplayable, but from another reason.

Even if this file was moved to Ramdisk, didnt help.

Well, thats it.

May the force be with you all :)

Edited by FidoVsetin

i have an i5(2300 series) with 4gb ram(at 1333 each one) and nvidia gts 450(silightly Ocd to 825-1800x2)

i never had issues even with 200 ppl fighting i had min 10 fps.

i cant understand with ppl that has way better pcs than mine and cant play...

they must do something very wrong cause im also on full graphs everything.

I lag like crazy doing the turret WZ but have no other issues anywhere else with it. I can be on fleet with 100+ and no problems at all but whenever I go into that particular wz it is a slide show at times. Have talked to several others who have the same issues with it. I cringe every time I see the loading screen come up for it when I am running warzones.

Just found out funny thing:

I installed GPU meter gadged. And on character selection screen, justicar teritory,

I have 40-80FPS, and GPU usage on 100%. Got to Alderaan WZ, and GPU usage was

about 20%, didnt go over 30%. And FPS was 10-20!!!

HDD indicator LED wasnt blinking, so engine DIDNT have to wait

for data to render...

SO WHAT THE HELL??? WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?!

You do know laptops aren't really meant for gaming?

Your GPU is a watered down version of a GPU on a Desktop, same with your i5.

Compare your i5 and GPU specs with that of a desktop and you will find that they have worse specs than desktop counterparts.

But its not about this at all!

I know that laptops are not for gaming, but there are several laptops at least a bit suitable for gaming, like mine for example. Moreover I am not the only one who has the problem, there are many people who has this problem on normal PCs. But why the damn game can't use all resources possible in WZ? Why in PvE game runs on 40+ FPS?! This isnt about hardware, but the game. HW is more than sufficient for this game

Edited by FidoVsetin

Just found out funny thing:

I installed GPU meter gadged. And on character selection screen, justicar teritory,

I have 40-80FPS, and GPU usage on 100%. Got to Alderaan WZ, and GPU usage was

about 20%, didnt go over 30%. And FPS was 10-20!!!

HDD indicator LED wasnt blinking, so engine DIDNT have to wait

for data to render...

SO WHAT THE HELL??? WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?!

This has already been addressed by support multiple times.

When this happens, it';s because the processor is bottle-necking.

Unlike most PC games, this game is actually equally dependent on processor AND GPU, they both have to be up to snuff or you won't get decent frame rates in busy scenes with high settings.

Sorry

Good Luck

Processor bottlenecking is nonsense... I get the same issues and my all 4 cores never go above 60%.

The engine just doesnt work for certain machines irrespective of having an elite rig or not. I know several people with far worse rigs than me that average twice as much fps.

I was just trying to give you a reference from my POV. Also, I would like to add that it seems that my performance is increasing slowly but surely month by month as the updates roll in.

Shadows in this game look like crap and slow the game down majorly, turn them off completely if you haven't already.

On my desktop with insane specs I turn the shadows off as well because the gfx to performance ratio is just nowhere near worth it.

This has already been addressed by support multiple times.

When this happens, it';s because the processor is bottle-necking.

Unlike most PC games, this game is actually equally dependent on processor AND GPU, they both have to be up to snuff or you won't get decent frame rates in busy scenes with high settings.

Yeah, I know about this, but the problem is that my CPU is physically 2-core, but thanks to hyper-threading system sees it as 4-core. Anyway, none of "four" cores was used more than 40 percent, which still isnt full even for two physical cores. And another thing is, that changing graphic settings doesnt change the FPS of WZs at all... But thanks for your reply anyway :)