Please give us addons!

Athelen

Or at least give us some kind of in game damage meter. I dont know about the rest of the community, but i'm an extremely competitive gamer, and i like to push myself to crush my guild mates and buddies on the damage charts. Otherwise i really dont have that spark to do well and really enjoy a HM or Ops.

Bioware is bringing out the option to move and change the scale of your UI, but that's not enough. We had addons in just about every other MMO and we got used to it. Now the transition is tough, not being able to evaluate myself and see how i did. And we also cant pick out people who need help with their rotation.

Please listen to the community! Addons have been around for years, you shouldnt have released a cutting edge 2012 game with things that have been around since 2007 (maybe earlier? i dunno ^_^ )

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or at least give us some kind of in game damage meter. I dont know about the rest of the community, but i'm an extremely competitive gamer, and i like to push myself to crush my guild mates and buddies on the damage charts. Otherwise i really dont have that spark to do well and really enjoy a HM or Ops.

Bioware is bringing out the option to move and change the scale of your UI, but that's not enough. We had addons in WoW and we got used to it. Now the transition is tough, not being able to evaluate myself and see how i did. And we also cant pick out people who need help with their rotation.

Please listen to the community! Addons have been around for years, you shouldnt have released a cutting edge 2012 game with things that have been around since 2007 (maybe earlier? i dunno ^_^ )

You don't need full on addons. I don't disagree that there shouldn't be addons, but the topic of addons and especially damage meters comes up a lot on these forums.

Certain addons just aren't needed. If damage meters are going to be put into the game, I would want them to be where you can't see other players. This gives the player using them the ability to evaluate himself and discuss over Vent how he may get better, while limiting the elitism that a player must live up to the leaders expectations of doing X amount DPS.

Also, I fixed your statement :cool:

Edited by Ohnoto

You don't need full on addons. I don't disagree that there shouldn't be addons, but the topic of addons and especially damage meters comes up a lot on these forums.

Also, I fixed your statement :cool:

regardless...it's still a valid topic and I know I for one would love to have a damage meter. You may not need full on addons...but your opinion has no bearing on the desires of significant population of the playerbase.

:cool:

DDO, LotrO, maplestory, DCUO (AFAIK) to name three (I'll be honest I dont have much MMO experience, I just listen to what people say...so...go ahead and flame)

That answer doesn't in any way answer my question. I asked for you to back up how you can claim that most players of TOR don't want the option of addons.

regardless...it's still a valid topic and I know I for one would love to have a damage meter. You may not need full on addons...but your opinion has no bearing on the desires of significant population of the playerbase.

:cool:

I edited my original statement.

Please listen to the community!

Who? Oh that minor percentage here who actually think they need these things?

You'll find that there are less people here that think they need these things than the people who know they don't.

UI scaling is all I need and that's coming.

I'd like a visual indicator for skill procs (having to watch the skillbar for procs is such a failure) and that's easily added in without addons.

The game doesn't NEED addons at all whatsoever. The very small minority WANT them.

Hillarious, I mean forget the fact you had back up healing, people running crowd control, etc. You wanna know how much damage YOU did. Why even be in a team environment by that point.

Not flaming but tbh I find that mentality derivitive unto itself.

It's a pissing contest you're after, plain and simple. Not everyone is going to agree on needing those sort of ingame mechanics to derive such calculations but be my guest in begining the end that becomes cookie cutter classes and the obsoletion of anything not maxing overall DPS once everything is fine tooth calculated into the inner dynamics of static environment conclusions.

Good players are good players. Plain and simple my friend.

But to each their own

the ones who claim they dont want addons, are the ones who arent reinvited back to groups because they suck.

That's nothing but a random negative outburst - so far from the truth it's not even funny.

Please try and keep your arguments worthy of type.

the ones who claim they dont want addons, are the ones who arent reinvited back to groups because they suck.

I would rather have someone doing slightly more DPS and can move out of the bad stuff than someone who tops the charts but can't move because their DPS meter number might go down. Hugging the ground is doing 0 DPS.

I've seen it too much in that other game when someone is so focused on their damage meter that they won't move out of the stuff hurting them. Those are the players that don't get invited back to groups because they suck.

Who? Oh that minor percentage here who actually think they need these things?

You'll find that there are less people here that think they need these things than the people who know they don't.

UI scaling is all I need and that's coming.

I'd like a visual indicator for skill procs (having to watch the skillbar for procs is such a failure) and that's easily added in without addons.

The game doesn't NEED addons at all whatsoever. The very small minority WANT them.

Minor percentage? Go to any server and hit up the Imp/Repub Fleets and ask if people want addons. I guarentee the majority of people will take them. Also look at WoW, the most popular and succesful MMO out there. Most (i cant say all), but MOST players PVPing and raiding at end game have addons.

And if you dont want them, DONT GET THEM! Addons are optional, not required. If you dont want them, dont download them. But most players want to have at least the option to have addons in the game. They allow you to change your controlls to how you want them to be, so you can enjoy the game that much more!

I don't want addons

I don't have an issue if they come out as long as it does not take resources from new content that everyone benefits from.

The makers of video games (Bioware, Blizzard, ETC) dont make the addons.. They open up the files so that addons can be added. The community make their own addons and share them with other people. It would in no way take time and resources away from developing new content. They would simply have to make the game files open to additions.

DDO, LotrO, maplestory, DCUO (AFAIK) to name three (I'll be honest I dont have much MMO experience, I just listen to what people say...so...go ahead and flame)

The first part of your statement about MMOs not having add-on support is fine. He specifically asked you to back up the "most people" part. From what I've seen on these forums, the player base is quite split on whether add-ons should be included.

back up +1

back up -1

I guess most isn't really accurate.

PS to clarify, I don't care about damage meters (i could take them or leave them), but I would like to see add-ons available for customizing the UI and making information available in better places. I'm really tired of staring at my character's buff area to see if something procced.

Edited by Knewt

That's nothing but a random negative outburst - so far from the truth it's not even funny.

Please try and keep your arguments worthy of type.

Actually it's damn close to the truth. The people who don't want damage meters are the ones who are scared people will notice more often just how awful they are and that they're the person the guild is carrying.

I would rather have someone doing slightly more DPS and can move out of the bad stuff than someone who tops the charts but can't move because their DPS meter number might go down. Hugging the ground is doing 0 DPS.

I've seen it too much in that other game when someone is so focused on their damage meter that they won't move out of the stuff hurting them. Those are the players that don't get invited back to groups because they suck.

The guy who knows how to move out of **** will probably do more DPS anyways, since he'll be alive and not a tunneling bad. It'd still be nice to know WHO is doing good and who... isn't.

THOSE are the people screaming "HEAL ME!" the whole time till the group finally lets them die and finishes the battle without them ruining the dynamics

Hillarious, I mean forget the fact you had back up healing, people running crowd control, etc. You wanna know how much damage YOU did. Why even be in a team environment by that point.

Not flaming but tbh I find that mentality derivitive unto itself.

It's a pissing contest you're after, plain and simple. Not everyone is going to agree on needing those sort of ingame mechanics to derive such calculations but be my guest in begining the end that becomes cookie cutter classes and the obsoletion of anything not maxing overall DPS once everything is fine tooth calculated into the inner dynamics of static environment conclusions.

Good players are good players. Plain and simple my friend.

But to each their own

What's the point of learning your rotation and spending all that time trying to be the best you can be, if you cant even see your results? It's like taking a test and never finding out whether or not you passed or failed, after you spent hours studying.

Actually it's damn close to the truth. The people who don't want damage meters are the ones who are scared people will notice more often just how awful they are and that they're the person the guild is carrying.

Don't tell me what's close to the truth without backing it up with fact son.

Your attempt at fact was a silly fantasy where a guild is carrying healers and utility classes as though they're trunk baggage.

rofl

Lets compare say 'that other mmo' with classes like Rogue, Warrior, Mage - now who is dishing out the damage. Who cares. As long as there is no group wipes then it's great. Besides I'd rather have a soft hitting Paladin covering the front end and actually doing his job then some trigger happy Rogue worrying about topping the charts on his addon damage meter before his 7 o'clock bedtime.

Edited by vanisle

Don't tell me what's close to the truth without backing it up with fact son.

Your attempt at fact was a silly fantasy where a guild is carrying healers and utility classes as though they're trunk baggage.

rofl

My backup is that everybody who i speak to in WoW about having crap DPS, claim they dont use addons, or have never heard of addons. I honestly dont see any other reason somebody would be so against a damage meter, other than you dont want people to notice you dont care enough about your character to learn your rotation/gear/spec, in order to excell with it.