Bioware - Can you put in a loot priority button for companions?

I think many players will just pick need for companions, regardless.

While I'll freely admit to being a complete newbie to MMOs, this seems like the most likely scenario. Maybe if your raiding with people you know well, & lay out clear cut guidelines for the group, that you use consistently perhaps. But, other than that specific scenario, you're only going to have drama between those willing to label companion gear as greed versus those who label it as need within any group.

I think many players will just pick need for companions, regardless.

Gotta say, the moment I'm in a Flashpoint and someone rolls need "for their companion/alt/friend/mother's neighboors cousin", without checking with the rest of the group, they'll probably get kicked. Grouping for quests and heroic missions where they actually use their companions is one thing, but if you roll need for someone you're not using on a Flashpoint when someone else needs it for their actual character, that's just bad form in my opinion.

Remember, your actions have reprecussions. Start ninja'ing, people will recognize it and it'll be harder and harder for you to find a group when you need one.

Gotta say, the moment I'm in a Flashpoint and someone rolls need "for their companion/alt/friend/mother's neighboors cousin", without checking with the rest of the group, they'll probably get kicked. Grouping for quests and heroic missions where they actually use their companions is one thing, but if you roll need for someone you're not using on a Flashpoint when someone else needs it for their actual character, that's just bad form in my opinion.

Remember, your actions have reprecussions. Start ninja'ing, people will recognize it and it'll be harder and harder for you to find a group when you need one.

Oh i agree, however, even if an agreement is made at the start of a PUG run, if you PUG - you always take the risk of someone taking loot they do not need (or for companions). Ill probably pug the early stages and friend people i see as being honest and decent and hopefully find a decent guild to do group content with.

For the times i do PUG, ill endeavor to make sure i am the group leader :)

Oh i agree, however, even if an agreement is made at the start of a PUG run, if you PUG - you always take the risk of someone taking loot they do not need (or for companions). Ill probably pug the early stages and friend people i see as being honest and decent and hopefully find a decent guild to do group content with.

For the times i do PUG, ill endeavor to make sure i am the group leader :)

Totally agree with you. How else are you going to find good people if you don't PUG every now and then? And since I typically roll tank, I find it a heck of a lot easier to form my own groups than not. And again, i agree with you on the aspect of making sure to post loot rules at the start of the run, it's always hard to change it after the fact!

Most people who I've seen will just need on it no matter what, even taking it away from other players.

Wow, you must have played on a ****ty server, dude. I only had that happen one time by one player, and only because it was some kid who didn't know anything about the need/greed system.

You will most likely spend 90% of your time playing this game with your companion. Flashpoints if they drop gear your companion can use as well then roll on it, but don't get pissed when someone rolls on an item you roll on either.

Operations: Will most likely have master looter so doubt that will be a problem.

From a different thread started with almost the exact same intent, here's my opinion on why this wouldn't really fix the problem (if it really is that big of an issue or just isolated incidences...I haven't seen anyone cite any personal examples or statistics yet).

"I really don't believe that adding a companion need button would change anything. For all intents and purposes, it's just a duplicate greed button and not necessary. Yes, it would be considered a tier above greed rolls; however, that really just eliminates the usefulness of the greed button. One could make an argument that every piece of gear is an upgrade for their companion(s), and he/she wouldn't be wrong for doing so. Every class gets a companion(s) for each type; healer, tank, and DPS. I feel that greed would become an obsolete button, replaced by the companion need button.

I'd rather BioWare implement a system that restricts classes from rolling need on gear they can't personally equip, before worrying any further about companion loot. I think if classes can't roll need on gear outside of their own use, it will eliminate a ton of debate of the need/greed rules of companion loot."

Below Need, above Greed. Companion Need.

I really like the companion need idea but it seems as though there are mixed reviews. Why not add a monetary penalty or a compensation to the group for rolling Companion need?

For example: you roll companion need on an item the game automatically takes double what the player would have received if they sell that item to the vendor and divides it evenly amongst the other players in the group if the players companion is not present. If the player does not have enough credits the companion need option will be greyed out or simply not available.

I think this would discourage ninjas and the other players in the group that helped you get that gear would get some sort of reward for helping you and the player would get the loot for there companion. Also a player should not have to pay if there companion is present in the group because obviously the companion contributed to getting that gear by auto attacking or healing what ever.

In 2 man groups with both players having a companion present there would be no monetary penalty for selecting the option.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying (as one the bazillion noobs getting ready to crash the gates) but what if you only have an active "Companion Need" button if you have an active companion with you? Otherwise it's an inactive choice? Wouldn't that eliminate it being an issue on anything other than flashpoints? Or can companions run operations, warzones and such?

The difference between a companion need and a full greed is this:

Companion need you will equip it on your companion and use it as gear.

Greed means you don't give a crap about the gear and you want to either vendor it or sell it on the market or disenchant (Sorry dont rememb what the ToR term is).

Pretty simple.

Does no one use the little "X" on the loot window, thereby "passing" on the item?

If it's something I can't use, I just click the X. I won't even greed on it. From my perspective, I won't even greed or need for my companion. Up until yesterday and reading these threads today it just never occured to me to roll for my companion. It seems very odd to do that. I don't really care what my companion has equipped generally, and will just let them use random loot I find while xping, or other handmedowns and crafted bits.

The issue of claiming loot for companions is only going to get worse imo. :\ Yesterday, I was doing BT flashpoint, and an orange pistol dropped. As a Mercenary, I rolled Need. I was with 2 Sith, one a warrior, one an inquisitor. The warrior needed on the pistol too after a long pause. The inquisitor (very grateful for him) asked why they needed on the pistol they can't even use. The warrior's reply "mistake". Just that, one word. I asked if they could possibly trade it to me. And then they replied pretty quickly, saying they had traded it to their companion. :\ First person on my ignore list. They were using Vette as our 4th member, so she did contribute - but this was only because earlier on the 4th PC member dropped or got booted. We never really worked out why and the party leader (the same warrior) never said. But in the fight where the pistol dropped (our 2nd attempt) I was working quite hard to keep both the Sith alive with my meagre healing ability. That padawan is certainly pretty tough. ;)

Anyway, I think it's going to be our responsibility to iron out any loot issues before you even step one foot into a flashpoint, etc. Everyone should have no confusion about it before you enter, or as I said, it's going to get quite bad. Lesson learnt for me, I'll definitely make sure to ask next time before we begin.

I have stated this before and will again.

A "live" person Needs an item that they can equip and that is an upgrade.

A Companion can come next, after the players.

The person wanting the item for a Companion should state so, theirs if the Companion is the only one out, otherwise any who can use for the Companions can roll.

Otherwise, if neither the Player nor their Companions, then Greed or Pass.

I have stated this before and will again.

A "live" person Needs an item that they can equip and that is an upgrade.

A Companion can come next, after the players.

The person wanting the item for a Companion should state so, theirs if the Companion is the only one out, otherwise any who can use for the Companions can roll.

Otherwise, if neither the Player nor their Companions, then Greed or Pass.

Yes, all quite sensible. But you have to understand this - not everyone is going to think like you. Some people wouldn't even think to ask before doing it. You speak sense, but some people are oblivious to it.

I posted this in a thread where the subject was brought up:

Companion need would just be a different way for people to abuse the system.

At the very best it is useless, so why would it help?

My trooper wears heavy armor. My trooper's companion wears heavy armor. Your smuggler and their consular wear medium and light armor, but your companions both wear heavy.

What is fixed here?

If they lock out the need button so that only people who's character can wear the gear can press need, then I can press need and you guys can't. Whether I use the gear for my character or my companion, I am the one that gets it if I want it.

If they do not lock the button out, then what good does it do? The trooper could pass on it, the smuggler could choose companion need, and the consular could decide to roll need and that's that.

Useless.

Easy to say they should add it, but no one has presented a system wherein such a button would actually do anything.

And remember, there will be times where there will be no active companion, so you can not tie it to any such animal.

Whatever else you figure out, eventually you come to a point where everyone has 6 companions and companion need just becomes the new greed, and the same people that will roll need for a companion now will still roll need then, too, whenever possible.

If someone can get beyond the idea and start demonstrating how this actually helps then it is worth listening to.

No one has been able to do that, though.

They act as if the existence of the button will somehow transform Jawas that need for everything into caring group members that want the best for everyone.