Any reason why low screen resolutions are extremely blurry?

I'm looking for reduce the heat of my CPU while playing this game, one of them is lowering the resolution, anything below than 1920x1080 are extremely blurry and in game chat almost impossible to read, there is just way too much blur, my screen is native 1080p so its ok to play in that res of course but then again its overheats my processor. Is there any official way to fix this? My NVIDIA Control Panel is normal and FXAA is turned off by default, so it isnt my computer right? 720p, 768p, 1400x900 1600x900 all same, too much blur. Mind you this isnt the case in any other game I play.

can I make it more sharper in any official way?

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by that, the link you shared explains why I should use native res, not about my monitor or specific screen broken damaged or known for broken, it just simply explains why people should use native resolution. I can use my native resolution it just heats up my processor very quickly especially in warzones so I wanted to lower the resolution to reduce the heat.

Unless there is something else I didnt get it or I didnt see? Let me check again

An LCD-monitor's native resolution needs to be a multiple of the PC resolution when you want it to stretch perfectly. When one computer pixel equals 2x2 monitor pixels, everything is sharp (but low res). When the monitor has to fit 3x3 PC pixels into 5x5 monitor pixels, it will end up blurry, how badly depends on the quality of the monitor.

For a 1920x1080 monitor the perfect low res resolution would be 960x540. You can create that as a custom resolution in the windows graphic settings, but it may be too low res to still have fun in the 21st century.

You can also try a factor of 1.5, i.e. 1280x720 that should be less blurry. Or you can try something like 1600x900 and change the monitor's settings to leave a black border instead of stretching it to 1920x1080.

Best leave the screen resolution alone and reduce your other graphic settings instead.

Try to lower shadow-maps and grass first.

Edited by Mubrak

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by that, the link you shared explains why I should use native res, not about my monitor or specific screen broken damaged or known for broken, it just simply explains why people should use native resolution.

And that is basically your problem.

If you have 1080 lines, and you send 540 it will just duplicate each one (you just have less detail); similar to view of a full HD (1080p) video in a 4k television. But if you have 1080 and you send 768 you get an "aproximation" of a 768 detail in 1080 lines. There may be different ways as to how this disproportion is dealed, but non will ever be as good as native or proportionate. Old CRT monitor did not have this problem bacause the pixel size were not fixed.

You can increase text size in chat window inside SWTOR; but other than that you will still experience the same.

While lowering you resolution is valid to avoid overheating, you best bet is to lower you graphics setting and keep the 1080 that is native to your monitor. Also, I would not recomend a 540 custom resolution, that is way too low.

Edit: Something i forgot you may try to see if it gets better. You are probably setting the lower resolution in SWTOR directly, if that is the case, try first setting the same in windows first, that way the upscaling is handled before SWTOR, it is better when both windows and swtor have the exact same resolution. If that is what you are already doing, then try reverting to let only swtor handle the upscaling. Maybe one of those handle the upscaling better for you.

Edited by Balameb
add info

I'm looking for reduce the heat of my CPU while playing this game, one of them is lowering the resolution, anything below than 1920x1080 are extremely blurry and in game chat almost impossible to read, there is just way too much blur, my screen is native 1080p so its ok to play in that res of course but then again its overheats my processor. Is there any official way to fix this? My NVIDIA Control Panel is normal and FXAA is turned off by default, so it isnt my computer right? 720p, 768p, 1400x900 1600x900 all same, too much blur. Mind you this isnt the case in any other game I play.

Hello

There is also the anti-aliasing setting in SWTOR preferences.

You didn't mention what kind of PC it is, but if you have a dedicated GPU, lowering the resolution might actually increase the CPU load which would have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve. Depends on where your bottleneck is and if you have V-Sync turned off.

But your best solution is of course to get a better cooler for your CPU. It shouldn't overheat under any circumstances. If you have an old PC or a laptop, then opening it up and dusting it off might actually be enough to solve your problem. But again, no idea what kind of PC we're talking about.

Kind regards

Peter

Instead of trying to find ways to lessen the symptoms you might want to look into WHY your CPU is overheating to begin with.

When was the last time you cleaned your rig?

When was the last time the thermal paste has been replaced?

How old is the CPU fan and is it still running properly (or at all)?

But your best solution is of course to get a better cooler for your CPU. It shouldn't overheat under any circumstances.

Intel CPUs made in the last fifteen years don't overheat. Full Stop. They all have a limiting temperature(1) which is "safe" (i.e. doesn't damage the chip) and they automatically take steps to protect themselves when they reach that temperature. In all cases, that means they slow down (reduce the multiplier) to reduce their heat production. If they still can't stay below the limiting temperature even with the multiplier reduced to as low as it will go, they shut down. YMMV with AMD CPUs, although I believe these days they have similar mechanisms.

That doesn't mean there's no point in cleaning the dust out of the heatsinks and fans, of course. That dust reduces the PC's ability to remove heat from the CPU and other components, and therefore causes it to run hotter for the same workload ==> therefore the PC runs slower under heavy loads. Removing the dust improves the effectiveness of the cooling, thus raising this limiting speed.(2)

(1) Usually 100 °C = 212 °F.

(2) This is not made up. Back in the day I was running something long and compute-heavy on my old PC(3), and it loaded all four cores to 100% for days on end (expected behaviour, but even so ...). At one point I checked the temperatures and saw that it was maxed out at 100 °C, so I cleaned the dust out and gained something like 25-30% performance.

(3) Yes, I was using my computer to compute stuff.

I'm looking for reduce the heat of my CPU while playing this game,

The main thing you need to do is to reduce the graphics settings in-game. SWTOR is very CPU intensive, but if you have the graphics turned up, the GPU may be generating too much heat**.

So, set the graphics to 1920x1080, but turn down/off things like Bloom and shadows. (There are articles out there that discuss what settings do what and which creates the most GPU load.)

And, as has been suggested, clean the dust out of the system and make sure all cooling fans are running properly.

** It's not clear what you mean by "CPU" and/or what sort of system it is. Some people refer to the main computer "box" as the CPU.

Is it a desktop, or a laptop? Laptops can often have problems with the heat generated.

Edited by JediQuaker

Under normal operating conditions regardless of what your are doing your computer should not run hot or overheat. If it is there is an underlying problem that is not related to SWToR and most likely is an issue with your computer.

Dirt and Dust are the most common culprits that cause a computer to run hot or overheat. Dust and Dirt blocks air flow to the internal cooling system of your computer. If the cooling fan, heat-sink, or other components get contaminated with excess dust and dirt it will cause the computer and internal components to run hot or to overheat.

The location of your computer can also affect the operation if it is in a HOT location or if there is something blocking the air flow around the computer.

ie. You have your Desktop PC in a closed cabinet, or covered with a cloth or rug. ( I have seen both done before ) or you use your Laptop on a towel, cloth, bed or rug ect. The air MUST beable to circulate under the laptop for proper cooling.

Over heating is rarely caused by running games or other programs. You should start looking within or around your hardware for the problem instead.

You may even find that a fan is failing or running slow thus not supplying enough air circulation for proper cooling.

Lowering your settings is a Band-aid approach and may lead to total system failure if you do not address the physical reason for your computer running hot.

Edited by denavin