Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suicide to avoid killing blows

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Suicide to avoid killing blows

phalczen
07.05.2020 , 10:45 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Sure, but do you think this is all that common? Given how many SDs I see from non-released missiles or missiles that won't be lethal, I think what you are describing is reasonably rare. Certainly, you're correct- if the situation is invariably fatal, dying faster can get you respawned faster- but I think that's a small minority of deliberate SDs.
I'm not exactly sure what DOES determine that respawn timer... Sometimes I can hyper-in right away, and sometimes i have to wait 5-10 seconds. So if you self-destruct to avoid dying to a protorp dot, but you get an unlucky timer, was it really worth it?

The only ground warzone that does anything similar is Odessen Proving Grounds, where respawns are sort of batched, though I'm not sure you would know what I am talking about. Ancient Hypergate and Huttball run on cycles, but we can actually see the timer because it shows up on our buff bar ... perhaps GSF is the same thing, and we're just not seeing the timer and the de-facto "gate" preventing us from constantly zerging?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Ttoilleekul
07.06.2020 , 11:49 AM | #12
In my experience only low skill regulars do this. Newbies don't do it because they haven't figured out to do it yet. Medium to high skill players have too much self respect to do it. Only low skill players who have been playing for a decent length of time do it because they cannot abide giving someone the kill. I also do not buy for one second that people do it to spawn quicker. I 100% believe that is a made up reason to justify what is simply denying someone the kill out of spite. On DM there are 2 players well known for doing this, and both of them fit the low skill veteran category.

Its a cheap move and the real answer for someone who does this is to learn to get better. Often I know that simply getting lock on them when they are without evade but otherwise at FULL HEALTH is enough for them to ram the nearest rock.

But as others have said its so few people doing it that its really not a problem, and its easily turned to your advantage in a TDM.

Urthal
07.06.2020 , 05:34 PM | #13
Having played maybe 1500 matches on Star Forge, my anecdotal evidence differs greatly from your anecdotal evidence. I mist have seen someone self destruct to avoid getting killed maybe once or twice? I've seen plenty of them self destruct using an engine maneuver to avoid a missile, or just trying to escape trough a tight space (and I do this myself, not to avoid getting killed but because I suck), but intentional self destructs to deny people kills? Very rare.

There are people that self destruct as soon as they spawn, to sabotage their team, and they deserve to be reported, but that's a completely different case.

Baletraeger
07.09.2020 , 08:19 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
Here's a point people are missing: if you know you're going to die to a protorp DoT or something, it's faster to ram the nearest wall. It has nothing at all to do with the person who killed me or being mad or anything. It's just about respawning faster. I can't be the only person who does that.
I do this. I cannot imagine suiciding to spite someone, that's terrible sportsmanship.

Ttoilleekul
07.10.2020 , 12:22 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Baletraeger View Post
I do this. I cannot imagine suiciding to spite someone, that's terrible sportsmanship.
It amounts to the same thing. You may not intend to rob them off the kill out of spite ( I still don't believe that) but it makes literally no difference. You still deny them the kill. If you're beaten, take it like a man and let them have the kill.

Homodmitrius
07.11.2020 , 11:52 PM | #16
I do this when Iím sliced and locked with prototorp on my scout. I despise slicers and donít want to feed them, thatís simple.
We belong to Disney, which means we stay busy.
Red'wolf TRE

Baletraeger
07.12.2020 , 07:46 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ttoilleekul View Post
take it like a man
?????

cheese_cake
07.12.2020 , 11:22 PM | #18
There are many time I feel that I should just eat a missile instead of using my engine ability. If you get anyone this way you should feel proud.

I do deliberately kill myself to respawn faster if I know I'm going to die by a missile & my engine ability will not be available before the missile hits. Such a situation is extremely rare & the missile might get me before I self destruct. A lot of the times that this has happened, It's due to piloting error & I'm not close to cover anyway.

A point is a point & a win is a win. They know they lost the encounter & you know you won. You don't need a numbers on a scoreboard to show off.