Your Saga Continues: Story in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

Star Wars™ has always been a continuing saga from the moment that the phrase ‘Episode IV’ scrolled upwards onto movie screens. With those words an ongoing, epic story was born, and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ continues the tradition.

I’m Charles Boyd, a writer here at BioWare Austin for Star Wars: The Old Republic and I wanted to share a sneak peek at the story behind Game Update 1.2. The development team has designed each of our game updates to shed a bit more light on the state of the galaxy and the ongoing war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, with new story details and hints about the future spread across every piece of content. Game Update 1.2 will be our biggest update yet, but your adventure in a galaxy far, far away is just getting started!

Read More

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars™ has always been a continuing saga from the moment that the phrase ‘Episode IV’ scrolled upwards onto movie screens.

So... 1981 then? One would figure ESB, which was the first to show a subtitle and episode number in 1980 would be when it became a continuing saga, not when they re-released the first movie for the second time and added in the subtitle and "Episode IV"

I am looking forward to update 1.2 and continuing the Bounty Hunter storyline. What is the expected date for it to go live? Will we ever have space pvp and better space combat? Not just the rail shooter that we have now.

I would love to see more sith alchemy, illusions, breed monsters. Mandalorian basilisk wardroids, more races. Vehicle based pvp, walkers and tanks. So many posibilities and potential for future content.

I am looking forward to update 1.2 and continuing the Bounty Hunter storyline. What is the expected date for it to go live? Will we ever have space pvp and better space combat? Not just the rail shooter that we have now.

I would love to see more sith alchemy, illusions, breed monsters. Mandalorian basilisk wardroids, more races. Vehicle based pvp, walkers and tanks. So many posibilities and potential for future content.

That's good, but I doubt they will release all these in just an update, that would be stupid, the game is enough fascinating and addicting even as it is now so I'm personally happy that it's going to get better.

Talk about subtility :p

My guess is its either going to involve the Rakata and some hidden Infinite Empire or the Yu Zheng Vong. I think the Rakata would be more appropriate. I love the idea of the Republic and the Empire having to begrudgingly join forces to fight a common enemy that's too much for either to handle alone.

My guess is its either going to involve the Rakata and some hidden Infinite Empire or the Yu Zheng Vong. I think the Rakata would be more appropriate. I love the idea of the Republic and the Empire having to begrudgingly join forces to fight a common enemy that's too much for either to handle alone.

Or it could be something else. Something a little more dreadful...

Some really good things with 1.2 apart from the changes to killing ranged classes in pvp but

As a STAR WARS fan i'm happy i unsubbed when we see that bioware know nothing about making the game actual STAR WARS

Look at this.Just like previous gear at lvl 50 it all looks like nothing but garbage.

We wanted star wars and got to look like a joke by artists who have never seen the movies. So again TY for pushing away us

star wars fans who wanted nothing else then to live in the star wars universe.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

Edited by Moitteva
removed rude

Star Wars™ has always been a continuing saga from the moment that the phrase ‘Episode IV’ scrolled upwards onto movie screens. With those words an ongoing, epic story was born, and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ continues the tradition.

Dear Charles,

Iirc this upwards scrolling gimmick (stolen from flash gordon) wasn't included in the original version of SW IV, but rather added after the release of SW V.

So, youre saying it started '81, not '77...? :D

Edited by wtfnonamefree

Hang on, do I really read "more class missions" there?

All for level 50?

Like ... chapter 4?

Don't get me wrong, I love this, just wondering how, if that's the case, it will work out once the level cap increases.

Some really good things with 1.2 apart from the changes to killing ranged classes in pvp but

As a STAR WARS fan i'm happy i unsubbed when we see that bioware know nothing about making the game actual STAR WARS

Look at this.Just like previous gear at lvl 50 it all looks like nothing but garbage.

We wanted star wars and got to look like a joke

by artists who have never seen the movies.So again TY for pushing away us

star wars fans who wanted nothing else then to live in the star wars universe.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

it actually looks good.

Edited by Moitteva
removed quoted rude

Dear Charles,

Iirc this upwards scrolling gimmick (stolen from flash gordon) wasn't included in the original version of SW IV, but rather added after the release of SW V.

So, youre saying it started '81, not '77...? :D

dude don't nerd it out. We are already playing a MMO based off of Star Wars. Do you really feel like you need to be MORE of a nerd?

When I read "YOUR Saga" continues, I was excited because I thought we'd see a continuation of the class quests. But turns out he was mainly talking about Flashpoints and Operations. :rolleyes:

So if I don't participate in the PvE endgame, I will miss out most of the continuing story, huh?

About 1.2 and beyond:

- The game was designed to have iconic classes changing: story, class skills, gear down to gear color palette.

With the gear mods we're able to blend classes appearance. Like my Juggernaut can wear BH or Trooper heavy armor.

Non force users will be able to force choke or use lightning, or force users will be able to use flamer throwers.

=> So: what now makes classes truly iconic? Why blur the frontier?

- Species have their own faction

Sith and Chiss are supposed to be empire only.

=> Why removing this limitation. Wasn't there other species you could have introduced to make the Republic more appealing instead of bending the lore?

- Star Wars is about Wars

2 very opposed faction clashing one against the other. That's the setting.

Many planets are faction restricted.

You're about to introduce same faction vs same faction warzones

=> How could possibly players pretend be at wars with the opposite faction?

=> How would players feel like belonging to a faction?

=> How could players feel at war when there's no such thing as war going on?

- Gear mods

Managing gear mods between our characters, companions and alts is tedious.

=> Why focusing on a system that is not even as good as simple appearance tabs until you, at least, get more convenient UI?

-Legacy

Players keep hammering not everyone likes to share something between all their characters.

Most just like a last name feature, different between all their characters if wanted.

=> Why keeping going against the players? Why forcing them to share a legacy title or surname if they don't want to?

-Mailbox

So you're putting it in the space ship, good.

We're mostly always passing by a mailbox to go to our space ship.

=> Why not allowing players to recall directly to their ship?

And more generally speaking:

- The lore was initially based on SW.

Jedi are, until fallen, guardian of the peace living on a strict code. They are using epic and deadly weapons.

Sith are powerfull and feared people, supposedly not lowering themselves for mundane tasks.

In the Huttball Jedi become no more than glow bat users wrestling for fame. And Sith look a bit better but even.

=> How Jedi players are supposed to feel at epic and at peace after playing a Huttball game? Do you see Yoda playing Huttball, but in a Monty Phyton movie? How Sith players are supposed to feel like Dark Vader or Palpatine?

Edited by Deewe

most important 1.2 patch awesome should revitalize interest for the short timers.

the post i was referring to is titled (Ideas I'd like to Share pleases Read!).

for me I think an in game voice to tie us all together is essential.

but i am most appreciative of all your hard work thx..

If I wanted "group story" stuff I'd play that other MMO. Not to say it's bad but it comes across as bare minimum and leaves little option for interesting Bioware dialog. Companion banter is lost in flashpoints/operations as well.

SWTOR has a big selling feature in rolling multiple classes. The general planet content gets really old though and the leveling process would greatly benefit from companion quests and class "side story" type things.

I hope this patch isn't an indication of things to come. Using minimal story in raids/flashpoints isn't going to separate this game from WoW.

It has become quite apparent that most people currently playing the game agree on the fact that some form of inter-server queue is much needed. Most contemporary gamers are used to the modern group assembling system provided by MMO's such as WoW, Rift, and many others, which one would expect developers of Star Wars: The Old Republic to quickly implement in order to remain competitive while servicing the needs of their players.

"LFG" (looking for group) on channel 1 (general) can be quite frustrating and noneffective due to many factors such as that in servers (example: Jedi Covenant) the chat reach is restricted to whatever location you are currently in, people often chat about off-topic matters that can make communication difficult, dissonance can arise from players looking for HM's (hard modes) and those looking for a group for the regulars, and finally, because people want to focus on advancing the game instead of sitting around for sometimes hours hoping to find people with the same goals.

The current group-finding system is very poor, as one must search through comments (not fully displayed) on the social section in hopes to find someone that wants to embark on the same flashpoint or heroic group quest, and also because just as the general chat, the range is limited to those who are currently playing in the same area (for example: if you are on Taris, you can only chat or view on social the people that are currently on Taris, who are not necessarily the people interested in doing the same flashpoint as you).

Dungeon queue (flashpoint queue in the case of SWTOR) systems are a modern approach to group assembly that greatly service player needs, and effectively allow the gaming population to more rapidly engage their goals, as often most of us that play only count on a limited amount of time per session to enjoy the game. Developers should be considerate of these issues and concerns previously mentioned, as it would greatly improve the slightly outdated system currently in place while meeting the expectations of their subscribers.

Happy St. Patrick's day to all!

Sincerely,

--R.