Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class changes: Nerf vs. Buff

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Class changes: Nerf vs. Buff
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kaldron_Fell
06.19.2017 , 11:30 PM | #1
Hope I'll manage to hit the right tone of voice for this one as it is a hotly debated topic, and one that it's difficult to remain calm on.

When looking at the upcoming first batch of class changes, one can see that the preferred method to restore class balance seems to be swinging the nerf hammer. For instance, my beloved mercenary will do less damage in the future in addition to producing more heat for one of the most important skills, which means one would probably have to redistribute attributes away from stuff like critical and toward alacrity. This will probably lower overall damage in addition to the 5% damage reduction they are planning anyway.

Now, this might work. It might mean that fights in PvP will be more fair. Already, many are demanding for Bioware to swing the nerf hammer some more and take away trauma regulators, responsive safeguards and/or the energy shield, insisting that the merc/commando is way way overpowered. To be honest, as far as PvP is concerned, I have no idea if that is true or not as I never play it. I know I need my utilities and my damage for PvE, not because I'm a poor player, but because I very often have to carry people in PUGs. Not sure how well I can do that if all of my survivability is removed?

But seriously, wouldn't it be much better to BUFF other classes to give them the tools to deal with this?

I know I sure won't be sad if my compadres in an Op or FP have more power and more options in a fight, and if "weaker" classes got the tools to counter what merc/commandos throw at them, and that makes PvP more fair, that should be okay, too? At least it won't piss off all the PvE people in the process!

And just randomly swinging the nerf hammer - no matter how hard - will piss off people like me.

What do you all think?
Cult of the Wailing Wookiee

DuchessKristania
06.19.2017 , 11:49 PM | #2
I agree, I think the devs would meet with a lot more approval if they gave the under performing classes some buffs rather than nerfing people. I'm not entirely sure why they're going the negative route with this issue. Granted, I don't PvP, so I could be missing something that makes their choice more logical.

I just hope my sniper and gunslinger don't get nerfed. Neither is one of the builds people say are overpowered but I still worry.

mike_carton
06.20.2017 , 01:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaldron_Fell View Post
Hope I'll manage to hit the right tone of voice for this one as it is a hotly debated topic, and one that it's difficult to remain calm on.
That's always a struggle.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaldron_Fell View Post
When looking at the upcoming first batch of class changes, one can see that the preferred method to restore class balance seems to be swinging the nerf hammer. For instance, my beloved mercenary will do less damage in the future in addition to producing more heat for one of the most important skills, which means one would probably have to redistribute attributes away from stuff like critical and toward alacrity. This will probably lower overall damage in addition to the 5% damage reduction they are planning anyway.

But seriously, wouldn't it be much better to BUFF other classes to give them the tools to deal with this?
Analysis: Why We Should Buff More Than Nerf - YouTube

And

Across-the-board-nerfing-hurts-everybody
A "Forum troll" posts outrageous messages to bait people into answering, to sow discord and to derail the discussion. Don't feed the troll, add to your Ignore List.
Click this SWTOR link to create an account or log in and we both earn rewards (7-day Free Subscription, 1 Free Server Transfer, Free JumpStart or Preferred Bundles).

scardera
06.20.2017 , 01:17 AM | #4
bioware think if they nerf Arsenal hard enough PvPer will snop crying but this will never end. Now they want sniper and mara to get nerfed....people who love to play arsenal in PVE in Hm/ Nim will end up unsubing and 1 month later bioware will send us survey asking. why we are not playing anymore? LMAO

fifteendollers
06.20.2017 , 01:27 AM | #5
If Arsenal is doing too much damage than it should be nerfed. Buffing everyone else up to Arsenal's already overly high DPS makes PvE too easy. It's also easier to nerf one class than to buff seven classes.

Icykill_
06.20.2017 , 01:34 AM | #6
I have a solution... nerf every class and give us one attack, one defence and one self heal,.. then get Bio to key bind them into a macro so we only need to spam one button.

This nerf, nerf, nerf philosophy that happens as one class gets nerfed and the ones below it become the new nerf targets is ridiculous.
The answer is balance and that will only have a chance of being achieved if the current way the combat team tries to balance is changed.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

fifteendollers
06.20.2017 , 01:47 AM | #7
Nerfs are to balance overpowered classes.
Buffs are to balance underpowered classes.

Balance.

Kaldron_Fell
06.20.2017 , 10:01 AM | #8
Arsenal mercs and mercs in general have some ability that probably make them hard to fight in PvP, but they're nowhere near the top when it comes to raw damage output. While in comparison the output of a melee combatant who has to chase a merc around will be lower due to range downtime, when it comes to fighting PvE enemies, the melee will usually have a way higher output already. There's a thread somewhere with numbers. I agree that these numbers are meaningless in PvP, but I find it important to differentiate.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to just make some abilities that are hard on other players just not usable in PvP anymore? Like if you're in a PvP arena, countermeasures doesn't heal or trauma regulators don't work? These things could have a tooltip, same as some abilities have tooltips that they don't work on operation bosses.

What do you think of that?
Cult of the Wailing Wookiee

TUXs
06.20.2017 , 10:05 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by fifteendollers View Post
Nerfs are to balance overpowered classes.
Buffs are to balance underpowered classes.

Balance.
Exactly!

Just because they've over buffed a class, that doesn't mean the bar needs to stay that high. Nerfs, while never welcomed, are a necessary tool.

The debate shouldn't be about nerfs or buffs, it needs to be about the correct nerfs or buffs.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

bluehufsa
06.20.2017 , 12:12 PM | #10
And i repeat.. if my merc does not PvP at all - my computer is a garbage and i prefer to invest money in my motorcycle than in my computer - why should she be nerfed? Let's face it, everyone like to be in a flashpoint with a lvl 70 merc..