What's with the rudeness?

Ifolad

Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you. You belittle, bully, push around, make fun, and generally act like a d'bag to the new players. I've been here since beta and it has gotten progressively worse. Since this game does have some younger people i am going to assume some of the replies and trolls in general are from punk teenagers who don't know any better for whatever reason as they think it's ok to be a jerk because it's the internet. The rest of you though should know better. Just remember what goes around comes around. Karma is a B. it. ch. Oddly enough I know some of you are adults who SHOULD know better than to behave like a scammy (NOT SCUMMY) 12 year old dennis the menace who takes enjoyment from getting a rise out of other people and or just being a outright jerk. Are you like this all the time or is this your defensive mechanism forged through years of crappy upbringing? In that case i understand why your behavior is such that it is you think it's the world's fault and you're entitled to be an ***.

To MOST of you good people thanks for the enjoyment and interaction you bring to the game as it is due to good people like you that make our game better. For the rest of you that this post is directed at please do the game a favor and grow up and act like a civilized person don't be so mean to the new players and make our great game die due to lack of population because a few bad apples chased them all off. Who knows, by being a nice and helpful person you may just make a few friends. That is all.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, many people in modern society find humor in offending others. They think it's cool, and the more that it's tolerated, the bigger a problem it becomes. While I haven't seen extreme examples in this game, it was stuff like that that encouraged me to leave/unsub from Rift and Tera.

I've been playing since beta and since then the level of community interaction has been on a downward curve - to the point where, since f2p, I have started to turn general chat off. Yes, the incessant questions from new players (some of whom appear to be able to get to level 10 without working out how to use their map) are mildly irritating. Yes, there clearly has been an influx of new, immature players who think that responding to a question with 'Press Alt + F4' is actually funny. There are also too many more experienced players who are clearly revelling in their superior knowledge and enjoying putting all the 'noobs' down. None of this is any reflection on the game - except in a few instances when I think the evidence indicates that ingame instruction/tutorials are a bit lacking. So where do you hope to go with this? The community of gamers is broad and reflects society - there will be conflicts.

I unfortunately have to turn of "General" because I simply do not wish to see it.

Makes for better playing.

Bu yes! it needs to stop.

Those folks who have to act tough and ridicule on the internet, I feel, would probably, not be do so if it were an encounter of the same "magnitude" (Ackbar) in real life (i think someone said that above and thank you for that).

It amazes me of some people these days.

Edited by Foofie

I reserve the right to be a smart ***. If someone is going to ask question to which the answer is glaringly obvious or if I just feel like being a Smart *** does that mean I cant be nice.... no in fact if I see a question sometimes I do try to help out and in fact if I can ever start a a steady income of credits plan to occasionally give a challenge on Korban or the Agent /bh starting planet (as I prefer Empire though if I do the same on a republic character will do this on their starting planets as well) and give the first person to meet that challenge some credits mainly because I don't mind being nice but I don't give away things for free :D

Time for my stupid question: how do you turn off General Chat? There seem to now be hundreds of people who log in only to spew inane comments in general chat- I don't even think they play the game...

Pretty sure it's a "right click" option on the chat frame. :cool:

I almost gave up on playing Sith side due to the absolute bile in general chat on Dromund Kaas. Makes old WoW Barrens chat look like a Royal Ceremony. I'd close General but I still need to find groups for heroics unfortunately. Oddly enough I did not experience the same level of foul discourse on Coruscant...

Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you. You belittle, bully, push around, make fun, and generally act like a d'bag to the new players. I've been here since beta and it has gotten progressively worse. Since this game does have some younger people i am going to assume some of the replies and trolls in general are from punk teenagers who don't know any better for whatever reason as they think it's ok to be a jerk because it's the internet. The rest of you though should know better. Just remember what goes around comes around. Karma is a B. it. ch. Oddly enough I know some of you are adults who SHOULD know better than to behave like a scammy (NOT SCUMMY) 12 year old dennis the menace who takes enjoyment from getting a rise out of other people and or just being a outright jerk. Are you like this all the time or is this your defensive mechanism forged through years of crappy upbringing? In that case i understand why your behavior is such that it is you think it's the world's fault and you're entitled to be an ***.

To MOST of you good people thanks for the enjoyment and interaction you bring to the game as it is due to good people like you that make our game better. For the rest of you that this post is directed at please do the game a favor and grow up and act like a civilized person don't be so mean to the new players and make our great game die due to lack of population because a few bad apples chased them all off. Who knows, by being a nice and helpful person you may just make a few friends. That is all.

Nancy?

Only time I turn of general chat is when i am on Ebon hawk (I think that's what its called) and doing rp with my guild When I'm not doing that I have it on mostly so I can be entertained by comments people make while I level my character and then on occasion throwing in a comment to help someone or to make a smart *** comment to the stupid things some of the people say because I am bored at the moment. But yes a lot of things that people say is a bit out there.

Not uncommon for forums of this ilk to see rudeness. But recently it does seem a bit over the top.

The good news is there is an ebb and flow to it. In a couple of weeks, shortly after Christmas, things will have calmed down a great deal and you will see much less of it.... for a few weeks at least. But alas... it will return.

I don't find the community in game to be to to bad but the people who posts on these forums are dreadful. Entitled hormonal teenagers with no sense of patience.

You see the irony in this comment in a thread about "rudeness", right?

I reserve the right to be a smart ***. If someone is going to ask question to which the answer is glaringly obvious or if I just feel like being a Smart *** does that mean I cant be nice.... no in fact if I see a question sometimes I do try to help out and in fact if I can ever start a a steady income of credits plan to occasionally give a challenge on Korban or the Agent /bh starting planet (as I prefer Empire though if I do the same on a republic character will do this on their starting planets as well) and give the first person to meet that challenge some credits mainly because I don't mind being nice but I don't give away things for free :D

Which just seems to indicate you are playing the game in a manner which will boost your ego at the expense of anybody else's - no? Ever considered yourself a bully?

OP, I immediately felt what your talking about after I hit level 50. The attitude of most, yes most but not all completely changed from what I witnessed while leveling. By far and large the only kindness and fair play I found was in group activities when it seemed to me the only reason they are being nice is because they wouldn't get the group mission completed otherwise. Solo dailies seems a free for all survival of the fittest situation. People have little to no regard to leave the objective that you are clearing the mob for when there are 20 other same objectives in sight, or even stop to help if its a high level NPC and other such rudeness. Heaven forbid someone ask a question in chat or it becomes a competition for insults and snappy one liners.

I don't even play endgame, I tried but the attacks from not space baring, public floggings from not meeting someone elses gear expectations, the whole need/greed system and over all feeling of its a free for all has discouraged me from participating.

Seriously though, is this just the way people are or is it a result of linear game design? Maybe another question for another topic but it seems by my experience the more linear and restricted a game is the more rude the players become.

I do not think it is the F2P crowd that is the problem, they are probably the scapegoats of the real issue, the OP mentioned.

I am a subcriber, and have recently returned. I have 3 50's previously and started a new alt to level up. I waited approximately an hour to get into an FP, and when I accepted to join I teleported into the starting area of the FP.

When the first dialogue encounter came up, my game crashed to desktop. Something completely out of my control, and when i log back in, the tank drops the group, and the healer calls me a dumba**? Attitudes like this are what make people drop games like a bad habbit.

Edit: the healer and tank were both subscribers

Edited by darkwaffle

Welcome to the internet, where hiding behind anonymity provides people the opportunity to be the utter *******es they would never be in a real, public face-to-face setting.

I see this response used in every discussion on this topic; it doesn't answer the question fully - WHY would people jump on the opportunity to behave like complete jerks? If the answer is just "because they can" ... that is a very distressing commentary about people in general.

:(

I see this response used in every discussion on this topic; it doesn't answer the question fully - WHY would people jump on the opportunity to behave like complete jerks? If the answer is just "because they can" ... that is a very distressing commentary about people in general.

:(

Transferrence. People who often abuse others verbally or physically are or were abused themselves and usually have no recourse to their abuser. This is the lasting legacy of abuse. There are lasting effects that echo through time unless one gets help. :cool:

It is due to a thing called anonymity....

It's easy to be a d-bag when people don't know who you are.

Honestly? Bad parenting. And yes, I went there. When I was growing up, if I acted like a complete tool and didn't have a justifiable reason for it, I'd get my &%@ handed to me. I don't mean being blunt and telling people how it is without sugar coating things, I mean just being an overall tool.

These days most parents are afraid to touch their kids and the kids are smart enough to know what they can get away with. Add to that the growing social acceptance of this behavior and you get what we have today.