Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------Reserved for poll results

Witch is preferred option 2a or 2b in the above post.

I THINK ITS A LANDSLIDE VICTORY

Option 2a - 24

Option 2b - 7

Option 3 - 1

It has come to my attention that there appears to be a THIRD option so I am Including it here rather than the main post.

OPTION 3 (Its all becomes clear please read)

FIRST - At the character creation screen, just after you select your gender you get to pick your ROMANCE PREFERENCE.

Straight - Male > Female or Male > Female, romance options (You can ONLY romance the opposite sex)

Bi - Male > Male, Female > Female, Male > Female, Female > Male, (You can romance ANYONE that is romancable)

Homosexual/Lesbian - Male > Male, Female > Female. (Only those of the same sex)

Asexual (I think thats the right word) - No Romance options ever appear.

SECONDLY - Make EVERY single romancable companion BISEXUAL, This is crucial for this to work and you will see why in a moment.

THIRDLY - When the romance options normally appear the game does a quick check to see the characters preference and acts accordingly.

FORTH and FINAL - Reset EVERY ONES companion quests to the beginning, Not only would this put EVERYONE on the same page, But also allow those that wish to to record (using fraps or whatever) there own little companion story if they wish.

Unless I am very much mistaken Very little or even No dialog actually need to change, (Unless there is specific gender references any of the conversations. (ie one calling the other boy/guy or girl/woman. And even if there is it would take all of what 2 min to record an appropriate line.

This allows....

Those that do not wish to "See" the options able to toggle them off at creation, Or heck they can get rid of the romances altogether if they so desire.

------------Witch ones---------------

It has come to my attention that there are some people that belive only certain ones should be Bi/gay so simple question witch ones. (Ill try to keep up with you lot :p)

Kira Carsen

Doc

Zenith

LT Iresso

Theran Cedrex

Nadia Grell

Andronikus Revel

Ashara Zavros

Vette

Jaesa Willsaam

Malavi Quinn

LT Pierce

Aric Jorgan

Elara Dorne

Corso Riggs

Risha

Alcavi Spaar

Mako

Torian Caldera

Kaliyo Djannis

Vector Hyllis

Ensign Raia Temple

Take from http://www.hotrodacc.com/swtor/comp.html, If I missed one let me know.

Vote away.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings folks!

Please remember, this thread is for discussing same-gender romances in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Please keep discussions game related! Discussions regarding real life politics, morality and religion do not belong in this thread or anywhere else on the forums. All replies must be on-topic, constructive and respectful or they will be removed.

Our official statement:

Official statement follows:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in
Star Wars:
The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

The previous version, which reached post threshold, may be found here.

For anyone who wishes to discuss [Flirt] options, please do know that we also have a thread for that discussion in the Suggestion Box.

Thank you!

I think that any features that introduce sexuality into this game should be optional, whether they are same or hetero sexual. for couple of reasons.

1) I know that some kids are going to play this game (one of mine does) and I would prefer to handle that part of his education myself (and yes, I do turn off General on his toons).

2) I don't want to see same sex flirt options, just as much as others want to have those options. If this feature were optional (ie having both an 'enable relationships' and 'enable same sex relationships' option in Social) those that want it can use it, those that don't want it don't have to see it.

Keep it fair, Bioware.

I think that any features that introduce sexuality into this game should be optional, whether they are same or hetero sexual. for couple of reasons.

1) I know that some kids are going to play this game (one of mine does) and I would prefer to handle that part of his education myself (and yes, I do turn off General on his toons).

2) I don't want to see same sex flirt options, just as much as others want to have those options. If this feature were optional (ie having both an 'enable relationships' and 'enable same sex relationships' option in Social) those that want it can use it, those that don't want it don't have to see it.

Keep it fair, Bioware.

Yet, Opposite Gender Flirt is automatically on. But if they made SGRA & SGF a Selectable Option in the Preference Menu, then I do agree that they should make OGRA & OGF Selectable Options.

However, one potential problem to that is would either or both be automatically checked when creating a New Character?

While I feel that the toggle feature would make little sense from an immersion point of view (then again, there is too much already in this game that ruins immersion) and, quite frankly, the idea itself is a little insulting. Following that train of thought would lead to semi-political statements however, and so I will stop right here.

That said, there are scenarios that would make a sexuality-setting both relevant and practical for all parties, but that touches more on the same-gender [flirt] issue. I will bring this up here though, as this is the thread that discusses the possibility of a toggle feature (among other things).

In my own, humble opinion, the only way the aforementioned toggle feature would not be insulting would be if your choice of in-game sexuality (Hetero, bi or homosexual) affected certain story encounters. I recall being approached by a zabrak early on in the IA storyline. I play a female IA, and as such, I had the choice to seduce him to get out of a tight spot.

There are many similar situations in the game. If the gender of the NPC who approaches you is determined by the gender of your character, it would make sense to also include sexuality in the equation. That way, straight characters would be approached by opposite gendered NPC's, gay characters would be approached by same-gendered NPC's and bi characters would receive a mix of the two.

As it stands however, I have seen nothing that suggests that the gender of such NPC's aren't completely fixed. If I play a male IA, I would still be approached by that same, male zabrak (Feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong). As such, the function of a toggle feature can easily be filled by simply choosing to [flirt] with companions and NPC's whose gender you're attracted to.

This is a game where you can, at countless points, chose to mercilessly slaughter innocent people. If that feature cannot be toggled off for the sake of the children, then neither should romantic advances.

I had actually posted this in another thread. It is updated to include other companions I or my husband have acquired.

Remember this is my opinion and my opinion only. I have no delusion that my opinion = fact. That being said here are my thoughts on some of the characters. I know the list is short compared to what is in the game. I'm in college right now, so playing hasn't been happening too often. Thus is the life of a student. -shrug-

Just as a side note: Sometimes you really can't tell if what a person's preference is by looking at them or hearing them talk for five minutes. Sometimes, it takes actually getting to know a person. Not that I know these characters very well...but you get the idea.

Jedi Consular:

Theran Cedrex: Bi/Gay. Could be the reason he has a holographic girlfriend...Just speculation of course. (I haven't gotten him on my Jedi Consular yet, but my husband has, so I have only been able to see the part of the Consular's story where you acquire Theran as a companion.)

Trooper:

Aric Jorgan: Bi/Gay/Straight... No idea. I'm just barely in Act 2 on my Trooper and have just high enough affection with Aric that he is starting to open up.

Elara Dorne: Straight. Personally, I think she's too conservative for anything else, as of right now anyway. (I actually had her in my party when I was on Nar Shaddaa. She really doesn't like it when your Trooper goes against regulation and flirts with the SIS agent. I did it just to piss her off. :jawa_evil: )

Bounty Hunter:

Mako: To be honest, she comes across as being a little sister to even be a romance option. That aside, I would say straight.

Smuggler:

Corso Riggs: Straight. It could be his good ol'boy attitude, or the fact that with him it seems to be "what you see is what you get", I don't know, but it just seems to me that he doesn't come across as being into men. Though, this could change with whatever BioWare has in mind for future companion romance story lines.

Risha: Bi or just straight-up lesbian. She mentions having a history with an NPC on Taris. Where I am in the story line, that could mean anything. Until I see what BioWare's future plans are with this char, I'm going with partners in crime.

Imperial Agent:

Kaliyo: Iffy/Bi. Of the characters I've run across this far in the game, she is the hardest to figure out. At least on the Sith side.

Vector:Straight/Bi. I can't explain why this is. Maybe he just seems as though he would be a little more open to other options.

Sith Warrior

Vette: Straight/Bi. I don't know that I can see her as a complete lesbian, then again my SW is only level 13, so I haven't played long enough on this char to get a handle on Vette's personality other than she seems to be very happy-go-lucky.

Again, what I have listed is merely speculation from someone who likes to write and pays attention to the character of people, fiction and non-fiction. To state the obvious, a lot of these characters have current story lines and personalities that could progress as the game progresses. It will be really interesting to see what BioWare has in mind for them.

Behind the scenes:

1- I wonder if BioWare already has some script written for future romance interactions.

2- It wouldn't surprise me if BioWare already has voice actors all lined up and ready to go for future story lines.

3- I understand this is a business and BioWare needs to do what is most financially beneficial to them (after all, if the company takes a financial hit because of a bad decision, future content will most likely not happen). If that means making the current companions/romance options Bi, so be it.

4- It doesn't matter how well a game is made or what changes are implemented , people will still complain. Not everyone can be satisfied.

Edit: Blarg. I should have posted this after I had some sleep. Just to clarify, I haven't gotten far on some story lines. As I said before, what I have posted is speculation and I even make mention, in some of my explanations (which should be in all explanations, but I didn't feel like repeating myself), that companion story line/personalities could change as the character experiences growth. Again, this is all dependent on what BW has in mind for the future of these, and other, companions.

Edited by LadyNightArrow

i agree with the person above me... except labeling them as straight/bi/gay at the point u are in the story (or ever imo) isnt right. as u progress then u will notice more about their character. anyway i dont think there should be a toggle for this. i know if ur children play u prolly dont want them to see this... but its a normal lifestyle now days. and i understand u want to talk to him about it later urself but if u dont want him to see it or hear it dont let him play. its the parents job to shield the child not a companies (sorry im not attcacking u its just my opinion)

I want to know first of all, when it will be implemented, whether that be in a season, in a month, in a year, I want to know when, a general time frame, anything would be a good sign and very well appreciated by everyone in the LGBT, RP and many in the general community.

What I would love to know as well, is any suggestions for how you are planning to implement this, a lot of people would like to see current companions 'player-sexual', other's would like to see new companions, there are many NPCs like Watcher 2 and other's that people would love to see as a new companion, my Green-written friend above me has detailed all of this in a much better and thorough way then I could.

Thirdly, will we need to create new characters, will we have to wait to see them further a long the story?

There are many questions, and we would like to see the answers to these, all answers are vastly appreciated, the sooner we get these answers, the happier the community will be.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

I choose option filter it out , so please clairfy wether or not you will give us an option to filter what many consider to be offensive and too political.

The toggle should be between, no romance or all romance, designating that there are differences between Sgras and Ogras to a point that one is offensive where as the other isn't is offensive in of itself, the toggle option is already there for every single individual romance, flirt or don't flirt.

There is absolutely no reason to waste time on a toggle option, when a superior one is already implemented.

I think that until we spend tons of posts to say what we want and what we don`t want, we`re doing exactly what BW want: keep talking.

At this point all reasonable guesses are made, we should keep asking: WHEN?

My guess is they will implement new romance options/companions once they fix what is already bugged/broken in the game. At this point, if they try and implement something on a large scale, and I imagine new companions and their story lines would fall under 'large scale content' (which could mean an expansion pack), the game could possibly break even more. It would be like adding more bricks onto a wall that isn't as stable as it should be, if that makes sense. BW has already stated that they would rather get some things fixed first. It doesn't mean they aren't working on it. After all, they have teams working on certain aspects of the game.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-blog-busting-bugs-and-fixing-exploits

I know it's getting frustrating that they haven't even given a ballpark ETA and they are posting the same 'canned' response. But, perhaps they are telling us all they can at this moment. Personally, I would rather BW takes their time on this instead of rushing. I know people say that this should have been in at launch and we can only speculate why it wasn't. I also think there is more to the story than they are telling us.

BW is the producer. EA is the publisher. My theory is EA only allowed BW to include certain things at launch for whatever reason. Of course, that is just a theory and I could be wrong.

Edited by LadyNightArrow

I agree with this. Some people just don't want to deal with relationships and/or flirting in the game, for various reasons, so an option to disable them completely would be fine.

This I disagree with completely. Having an option to enable only OGRs and disable SGRs smacks of discrimination, as though SGRs somehow might need to be hidden. Not cool. The only way this would be fair would be if there was also an option to disable OGRs and keep only SGRs.

Still hoping we get some news about this today. :D

This I disagree with completely. Having an option to enable only OGRs and disable SGRs smacks of discrimination, as though SGRs somehow might need to be hidden. Not cool. The only way this would be fair would be if there was also an option to disable OGRs and keep only SGRs.

I agree with this disagreement! ;-)

Either both SGR and OGR should be always on or they should both be entirely optional. I rather like the OP's idea of choosing your characters orientation at the beginning as well.

I agree with this disagreement! ;-)

Either both SGR and OGR should be always on or they should both be entirely optional. I rather like the OP's idea of choosing your characters orientation at the beginning as well.

The inherent problem of that being how to determine the orientation of characters already created...

Perhaps it could be like a title-selection on the character page? Obviously it wouldn't display to everyone like that, but a little section beneath that chooses the orientation. That way, if someone changes their mind halfway through a character (which I am notorious for...), they can easily switch it out without having to recreate the entire character.

The inherent problem of that being how to determine the orientation of characters already created...

Perhaps it could be like a title-selection on the character page? Obviously it wouldn't display to everyone like that, but a little section beneath that chooses the orientation. That way, if someone changes their mind halfway through a character (which I am notorious for...), they can easily switch it out without having to recreate the entire character.

That would work, but the bigger issue is probably how do you go back and romance previously unavailable companions? Say your level 50 and 10k affection with the companion you want to romance when the SGR option comes in; you've already missed out on all the dialogue.

There has to be some way to 'reset' the dialogue to allow for Flirting or else add a whole new series of dialogue options for all the newly Flirtable companions.

Having an option to enable only OGRs and disable SGRs smacks of discrimination, as though SGRs somehow might need to be hidden. Not cool. The only way this would be fair would be if there was also an option to disable OGRs and keep only SGRs.

Can we please stop with this line of thinking? OGRA's are inherently a DEFAULT. You're complaining about a preset setting.

The more I see posts like this, the more I am convinced that when Bioware finishes implementing the SGRA's, there will be another 1000 post thread about all the ways they "did it wrong".

Can we please stop with this line of thinking? OGRA's are inherently a DEFAULT. You're complaining about a preset setting.

The more I see posts like this, the more I am convinced that when Bioware finishes implementing the SGRA's, there will be another 1000 post thread about all the ways they "did it wrong".

And any content added afterwards will not have a toggle. I can't switch off the Rakghoul flashpoints that were added, which involves an entire planet of people being corrupted by a virus (I think. Yet to play it, and am only going off the ads. :confused:) That is MUCH worse than however bad someone might think SGRA's could possibly be. Why should SGRA's have a toggle when no other added story-feature will?

Hm? What's that? The flashpoints are not essential, and can easily be skipped if you are uncomfortable with the content? :rolleyes:

Moral of the story; if you find it offensive, don't do it.

If you don't want you children to see it, supervise their gameplay, like you should be doing as a parent.

(Last bit not addressed at you, just at the general reasons for demanding a toggle. :p)

And as for characters already at 50... Hm. Maybe they could implement another NPC akin to the Skill Mentor? Pay a fine (first time costs nothing, of course.) to reset the story progress of companions, but gain no additional benefits such as experience or credits from them?

Down the line, perhaps they might even implement a new-game plus concept, where at the conclusion of your story, you can start over again, with specially instanced versions of earlier planets to match your level? :eek: That would be pretty cool!

Edited by Raiellyn

OGRA's are currently a default with no atlernative. The argument is that they should not be, have no inherent right to be - and when SGRA's are implemented they should not be implemented as a second, optional tier but as an equal to OGRA's.

Anything else is would, indeed, be considered wrong and certainly cause for another 1000 posts.

OGRA's are currently a default with no atlernative. The argument is that they should not be, have no inherent right to be - and when SGRA's are implemented they should not be implemented as a second, optional tier but as an equal to OGRA's.

Anything else is would, indeed, be considered wrong and certainly cause for another 1000 posts.

Precisely, all romances or no romances, simple.