SWTOR Video Card?

Xariyth

Looking for some video card advice. I can't find a general tech question forum, so as a new player, hopefully this forum will work. :)

Even with complaints about queue times during the GFA, I ended up preordering the game over the weekend and got to play just a little bit. I didn't play as much as I wanted not due to queues, but the dinosaur of a computer I am running.

Bootcamp on an old 2006 iMac. Runs WoW flawlessly and runs everything else I have needed to do on a day to day basis so I can't complain (5 years of faithful service is pretty good really).

This game was fun. I want to play it. It means it is time for me to build something new that can do my gaming.

So, basically, my only gaming I am going to do is WoW and SWTOR on it (really all I have time for).

Anyone have any suggestions on a video card to purchase so that I can run SWTOR well? It would be nice to have most of the bells and whistles turned on, but I don't want to kill myself price wise over it. And there are a ton of video cards/models out there since the last time I actually purchased a card (I think the last dedicated 3d card I bought was a 3dfx Voodoo something or other back to play EQ when it launched).

Any suggestions? Trying to get this all built and ordered this morning so hopefully I can have all my parts by weekend. :)

Thanks!

If you're still looking for feedback on this, any of the entry level 6xxx series ATI/AMD cards or the nVidia 5xx series cards will easily play WoW and SWTOR. Specifically, for under $100, I'd say a 6670 or a 520.

66xx+ on AMD, don't get anything lower than that.

Here's Tom's Hardware's review of Graphics cards for SWTOR. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087.html

dmarkd has given some great advice. For cost vs. benefit, I definitely recommend an ATI 6600-series or 6700-series card. The 6770 provides good bang for your buck - it normally comes in around $100.00 and it will enable you to play at acceptable framerates on high, assuming you have a decent processor.

noooo stay away from ati. they have had issues for months now ,. mostly becasue they have not made a stable driver for the cards.

bioware made the game around envida. go and get a 400 series or better card and you have zero issues with the game. i did the switch and have been loving it

Hi there!

There are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:

You can also check out our General FAQs for information about minimum system specifications.

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread. Please use one of the topics linked above for further questions and discussion of hardware specifications. Thank you!