Legacy Ignore is a Bad Idea

kevinrex

Legacy ignore is too antisocial for an mmo like swtor. Swtor encourages altism with the legacy perks, buffs, heroic moment, and ch1-3 story. Altism is one of the things that makes swtor fun. Legacy ignore COMPLETELY blocks a player. Blocking a toon is fine, but blocking a player is cruel and very antisocial. This change was brought about because 2020 sucks cuz of covid and election,<------those r the things that made blocking a player seem like a good idea and not the awful, cruel, and antisocial idea that it is.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an absolute hogwash.

If I am ignoring a player for legitimate reasons, then their whole legacy deserves to be ignored.

If I am ignoring a player for frivolous reasons, then my legacy deserves to be ignored by them.

Ignore function cannot be abused the same way that report function can be. Even if I put every player on the server in my ignore list, so what? I am only cutting myself off from everyone, in which case I most likely know what I am doing. The others are not punished by my absence.

This change was brought about because 2020 sucks cuz of covid and election,<------those r the things that made blocking a player seem like a good idea and not the awful, cruel, and antisocial idea that it is.

I thought that legacy ignore came because of people behaving badly in this game? I didn't know it's because of an election. :confused:

Edited by JattaGin

Legacy ignore is too antisocial for an mmo like swtor. Swtor encourages altism with the legacy perks, buffs, heroic moment, and ch1-3 story. Altism is one of the things that makes swtor fun. Legacy ignore COMPLETELY blocks a player. Blocking a toon is fine, but blocking a player is cruel and very antisocial. This change was brought about because 2020 sucks cuz of covid and election,<------those r the things that made blocking a player seem like a good idea and not the awful, cruel, and antisocial idea that it is.

You fail to understand why so many of us have been requesting a Legacy ignore for YEARS. It has nothing to do with being "too antisocial for an mmo" and everything to do with this:

...Legacy Ignore will help you ignore the gold sellers that are absolutely everywhere, as well as the idiot trolls and sexual harassers that seem to crop up everywhere.

In my experience, blocking a player for any kind of harassment/trolling/generally-getting-on-my-nerves is entirely deserved.

Op do you even realise what you are saying?

Block = fine

Legacy block = bad

There is a reason that someone is being blocked, just because they are on a different character with a different name does not change the person operating the computer behind them, the exact same reasons someone might be blocked will not change.

Sorry OP but you need to explain better why it's a bad idea.

If I put someone on legacy ignore, that does not stop any other player interacting with that player. The only one who is ignoring the player is me. How is that cruel? If many others are putting the same player on ignore then maybe that player deserves to be ignored?

Ok is there a downside? well yes in that there is no second chance for the ignored player to change there ways and become more acceptable to the ones ignoring him/her. However there would not be all that many who press legacy ignore on that occasion so overall if player continues to be ignored by more and more players over time then they show a Patten in chat that should be ignored. So personally not seeing the downside myself. However maybe I am not seeing what you are seeing, so as said you need to explain why you think this is bad for the game better than your original post, for the rest of us to understand why you think this.

As many others have said Gold sellers, sexual harassment, racism, are to me all good (to name just a few) reasons to put players legacy on ignore. Sure some players may have other more personal reasons to put players on ignore but as already said it only ignores that player to the individual who put them on ignore, not to the general masses.

So as a solo player myself I see this as a good thing, still if over the long run this will affect group players remains to be seen. As a solo player I don't know how this will affect groups if a OP group of 16 players works if one group member has one of the other 16 on ignore. This may or may not be an issue. Still I will let the group players answer that as for me personally It's won't be an issue.

OK legacy ignore only came out yesterday, as of yet I have not used it. Gold sellers don't bother me all that much but for the most part, I am online to play the game not to chat so have mine set to other rather than gen chat in any case.

LBlocking a toon is fine, but blocking a player is cruel and very antisocial.

No, if someone is being that annoying that you feel the need to block them, they are the anti social <redacted>, legacy unlock is a breath of fresh air, a calming breeze in the maelstrom of madness, a kick in the teeth for trolls, etc.

I strongly disagree with the OP's position.

On all five of my accounts last night, I cleared all ignores. Didn't realize how the long the list was on some.

With every ignore list cleared out, I'm starting fresh.

You can better believe I'll enjoy slapping a legacy ignore on someone being absolutely vile, and as some have posted here, a person who has chosen to be disruptive, insulting, juvenile, hellaciously obscene, etc., demonstrates by their chat that they've already broken past the normal barriers of civility, and therefore may very well do so again on another character.

Someone who realizes he's been ignored (by the in-game message) subsequently swapping from the ignored toon to another toon to continue their disruptive behavior is exactly why legacy ignore is so important.

We finally have a tool to end the disruptive behavior of a player across the board.

This tool is very useful and necessary.

I log into SWTOR to enjoy myself, usually with others. When I am on this game, it is MY time. SWTOR is not a platform for some 15 year old to express his or her explicit sexual frustrations and political opinions.

I don't log into it to hear anyone's political or social justice opinions, whether I agree with them or not.

People play this game to get away from COVID, difficult jobs, difficult families, election drama....SWTOR is not Facebook.

In my opinion, if you think being Legacy ignored is too harsh for you, behave better and it won't happen. I'm willing to bet I am not on a single person's ignore list because I haven't behaved poorly..

By contract, I have disagreed politely with someone in a FP run, and had them curse me out in private messages. After ignoring them, they swap over and continue. After ignoring that one, they make a NEW toon, log in and continue.

Bottom line: I'm glad we have Legacy ignore, but I DO think we need the option on whether to ignore just a player or ignore their entire Legacy.

What an absolute hogwash.

If I am ignoring a player for legitimate reasons, then their whole legacy deserves to be ignored.

If I am ignoring a player for frivolous reasons, then my legacy deserves to be ignored by them.

Ignore function cannot be abused the same way that report function can be. Even if I put every player on the server in my ignore list, so what? I am only cutting myself off from everyone, in which case I most likely know what I am doing. The others are not punished by my absence.

Perotta, you're being too kind.

OP's opinion is bad and they should feel bad. If someone is spamming or annoying enough to land on my small ignore list, why the @$#%^ would i want to see them again when i alt?

We've been asking for this for years and we appreciate the devs getting around to it for all the reasons Perotta just said. Figure it out, OP.

I don't normally put anyone on ignore, but if I do it's because that player annoys me enough to earn it. If they hit that list they deserve to have all of that players characters there. I tend to have plenty of patience, but if someone crosses a line whether it is constent Political talk, Racism, Sexual harassment or the like then I honestly don't want to play with that individual player regardless of what character they are playing in.

I log into SWTOR to enjoy myself, usually with others. When I am on this game, it is MY time. SWTOR is not a platform for some 15 year old to express his or her explicit sexual frustrations and political opinions.

I don't log into it to hear anyone's political or social justice opinions, whether I agree with them or not.

People play this game to get away from COVID, difficult jobs, difficult families, election drama....SWTOR is not Facebook.

Exactly. SWTOR is a form of escapism for me and many others rather than somewhere I want to see/hear people trash talk about crap and/or the hell of reality.

Bottom line: I'm glad we have Legacy ignore, but I DO think we need the option on whether to ignore just a player or ignore their entire Legacy.

I disagree. Bad behaviour is from the PERSON PLAYING though the CHARACTERS they control. Each player has one legacy per server that is for their characters only. Having a legacy ignore is perfect to rid me of that person completely and the correct punishment. Anyone on the receiving end of true harassment in-game will agree. Only someone who is breaching the t&cs by having more than one person play the characters in their legacy or someone who is psycho enough to think that creating a character just to troll/harass others is a good thing would argue against a legacy ban which makes me serious wonder about the OP.

I disagree. Bad behaviour is from the PERSON PLAYING though the CHARACTERS they control. Each player has one legacy per server that is for their characters only. Having a legacy ignore is perfect to rid me of that person completely and the correct punishment.

Exactly. It's like saying, okay, this person screamed profanities at me and called me every vile name in the book for a full five minutes while wearing a rabbit mask, but hey! Now he took off the rabbit mask to put on a squirrel mask, so I guess he's okay now that he's wearing a different mask. We can be friends.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Exactly. It's like saying, okay, this person screamed profanities at me and called me every vile name in the book for a full five minutes while wearing a rabbit mask, but hey! Now he took off the rabbit mask to put on a squirrel mask, so I guess he's okay now that he's wearing a different mask. We can be friends.

Chances are the op is a <redacted> and was just trying to rile people, maybe he thought he'd get more traction on his side, and have people flaming. Nice to see 99% of us are on the same page when it comes to legacy ignore :)

Say it louder for the people in the back!! :D

Chances are the op is a <redacted> and was just trying to rile people, maybe he thought he'd get more traction on his side, and have people flaming. Nice to see 99% of us are on the same page when it comes to legacy ignore :)

The OP got mad at the voices in their head, used legacy ignore, and is now lonely in their own silence.

If you can not stand your own company, why should anyone else be forced to?

Even still, I want the OPTION to ignore just a character versus ignoring their entire Legacy.

I think you are just being hyperbolic. Ignore, legacy or not, does not "block" the player from participating in the game - it only blocks certain interactions with you, individually. The only major thing is that you won't get grouped with them in GF. Other than that, they can, for example, still be on the fleet spamming - you just won't see it.

It might make GF interesting though. I don't know what the logic 'rules' are for forming a group, but it could get interesting with a bunch of cross-connected 'ignores' going on.

On the other hand, Legacy Ignore will help you ignore the gold sellers that are absolutely everywhere, ....

I see a lot of people saying this. But, gold sellers continually make new legacies with new characters. Trying to block them all would be a fruitless endeavor, that just ends up filling your ignore list with characters and legacies that no longer exist..

While I don't normally block a person, when I do it is not just the one character, that should be blocked it is the player. It is the player's actions that have caused the player to be put on ignore. If a person hasn't done something to be ignore (1) be rude/hateful (2) continue acting like a jerk then they have nothing to worry about but if someone does, then it is the person's fault for being put on someone's ignore list.

Why would you want to block a player on one of their characters but not another? Do you think they act / play differently on different characters?