Legacy Ignore....How about Legacy Friend???? It's 2020

LegionAlpha

It's 2020, and there are a slew of things that should easily have been implemented into this game by now, but have not. However, with the new legacy ignore coming into play, we know now that there is the ability for them to do such things. So how about doing legacy friends....and why are non-cartel mounts not legacy wide yet? The basics is all we want.

Edit: Obviously legacy friendlist would be something approvable. Kind of like RealID on Bnet (blizzard/wow) or even like their btag system.

Edited by LegionAlpha

No thank you. I don't want a legacy friends list with how the friends list currently works

As it is, anyone can friend you without your permission. This would be an easy way for others to find out every single character you have. This could be massively abused.

Non-Cartel mounts are not legacy-wide because, well, reasons. It is not high on the priority list, and BW/EA do not want non-Cartel content to be popular as they only get CC expenditure from the legacy-wide unlock instead of double-dipping with both the initial purchase and the legacy-wide unlock. I know, I am paranoid...

Regarding the legacy-wide Friend issue, I wholeheartedly agree with Toraak. As the Friends list mechanism currently works, it would be a stalkers/harrasser's paradise because Friend-listing is not mutual. If legacy-wide Friend-listing was enabled for people who have mutually friended each other, it would be ok, in my opinion. But given the way it works at the moment, I could Friend-list someone and get feedback whenever they come online on any character they have created, completely without their knowledge or consent.

Non-Cartel mounts are not legacy-wide because, well, reasons. It is not high on the priority list, and BW/EA do not want non-Cartel content to be popular as they only get CC expenditure from the legacy-wide unlock instead of double-dipping with both the initial purchase and the legacy-wide unlock. I know, I am paranoid...

Regarding the legacy-wide Friend issue, I wholeheartedly agree with Toraak. As the Friends list mechanism currently works, it would be a stalkers/harrasser's paradise because Friend-listing is not mutual. If legacy-wide Friend-listing was enabled for people who have mutually friended each other, it would be ok, in my opinion. But given the way it works at the moment, I could Friend-list someone and get feedback whenever they come online on any character they have created, completely without their knowledge or consent.

Depends. If the troll friending me is impossible if I've /ignored him *and* if me /ignoring him *cancels* the friend status, it's less of a problem. (I'm ignoring him, clearly I can't be his "friend".)

However the guy who wants to follow me around and watch what I'm doing, and doesn't do anything that would incite me to /ignore him? That case is problematic (maybe he's a troll's assistant), and would be a reason to oppose it.

On the other hand, we have to ask how common that would actually be, and that would be difficult to answer. Maybe have what GW2 has - a list of people that *I* can see of people who've /friended me.

I'm a hard no, even with permutations. I don't want to explain to someone why I turned down their legacy friend request or why I didn't opt in to the system.

While it may sound curmudgeonly, there are times I want to play solo and be left alone.

Dasty

Yes its 2020.

When this game shipped, WoW already had the ability to create a 'friend' at the player level (mutual agreement) with the ability to chat across servers and factions and even games (included other Blizzard games), as well as the ability to join your friends cross server (originally just instanced content, now all content).

That EA never built out its own such platform and seems to have given up on such a platform or store by moving most everything to Steam suggests we won't ever see that here.

Even if they add the fact you'd need the person's permission to friend them I still think it's a bad idea. I'm with Dasty on this. There are many times I just want to play, and be left alone. If friends need to get in touch with me that badly they can DM me in Discord. (which I may or may not answer depending on the mood I'm in).

Yes its 2020.

When this game shipped, WoW already had the ability to create a 'friend' at the player level (mutual agreement

Interestingly, what you say here implies that "It's 2020" is a completely irrelevant contribution to the debate.

Well, quite frankly, it was irrelevant anyway. If the decision to not have legacy-to-legacy friending is a *policy* decision, the passage of time does not automatically invalidate the decision, unlike a decision with a *technological* basis.

Even if they add the fact you'd need the person's permission to friend them I still think it's a bad idea. I'm with Dasty on this. There are many times I just want to play, and be left alone. If friends need to get in touch with me that badly they can DM me in Discord. (which I may or may not answer depending on the mood I'm in).

That just suggests that there should also be an option to *appear* to be offline when searched-for by friends.

That just suggests that there should also be an option to *appear* to be offline when searched-for by friends.

The problem with that solution is it's an all or nothing affair.

In other words, there actually have been times I didn't mind a couple of friends (typically real life) seeing me online. Others, however, got to be far too annoying with requests for help on the most simple of quests, or just wanted to jibber jabber and pick my brain for brilliant thoughts, of which I have an abundance.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Back in the days when I played, Guild Wars had a good system. When you put someone on your "friends" list, the primary listing was of the original character. But if you got on line on a different character, the alt's name would appear alongside.

For example, if someone put my character "Quaker Tu" on their friends list, if I was playing "Maranda Tu", it would show on their friends list as "Quaker Tu (as Maranda Tu)" - or something like that. 🤔

This is the sort of Legacy friends listing I would like. You wouldn't then have every alt of a friend displayed on your list, just the current alt.

In other words, there actually have been times I didn't mind a couple of friends (typically real life) seeing me online. Others, however, got to be far too annoying with requests for help on the most simple of quests, or just wanted to jibber jabber and pick my brain for brilliant thoughts, of which I have an abundance.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

I'm sorry but this is a poor reason to oppose what would be an objective improvement to the game's social aspect. Its easier to just tell you to learn to say no to friends or to leave yourself 'offline' (which we effectively already do by being on unknown alts from friends) but those are actual options. It was mentioned that a new friendslist with modern functions would include the statuses and that alone should alleviate issues for the most part. As for wanting select friends to know you're on, that's.. uh lol I can understand it but you could set clear boundaries. Some people don't understand that you just want to exist without being bothered sometimes. I had dealt with it for years and was able to express that without coming across as unapproachable or rude.

Having to add my handful of rl friends and their dozens of alts on my most prominent toons or add them on Discord to know if they're online is basically accepting the middleman is there already. I don't exactly trust BW to even get it right for the first few months given how poor communication and response to feedback is but it has been in need of change for the better half of a decade now.

I'm sorry but this is a poor reason to oppose what would be an objective improvement to the game's social aspect.

Yet the entire rest of your post explains why it is "subjective" - even including expressions like "for the most part." That language, by its very definition, suggests subjectivity. And, forgive me for being blunt, it's not really your place to tell me what is "easier" on how to handle specific relationships you know nothing about.

It's fine that you come down on the side that - on balance - you think it is a good idea, but the point is -- there is a balance. I just happen to come down on the other side.

Personally, I don't want to explain or even show my "boundaries" to other players, particularly b/c those boundaries are fluid and subject to change, even with respect to specific individuals. But no worries. You're not the first, nor will you be the last, to disagree with me. ;)

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

The obvious solution to that is to have a "whitelist" of people who can see that you are online even when you show yourself generally as offline, but in such a case, if they look, they will see that you are in hiding, as it were. The sort of person you'd put on your "inner circle" list are the sort of people who'd respect your wish for a bit of peace and quiet.

And yes, that's addiing complexity to the system. Perhaps that says that there's a minimum grade of functionality, basically what we have now, and then a fairly wide range of things that aren't so simple they qualify as "minimum grade", but aren't sufficiently capable / flexible / etc. to be capable enough.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Or maybe we are *all* overthinking it.

Yet the entire rest of your post explains why it is "subjective" - even including expressions like "for the most part." that language, by its very definition, suggests subjectivity. And, forgive me for being blunt, it's not really your place to tell me what is "easier" on how to handle specific relationships you know nothing about.

It's fine that you come down on the side that - on balance - you think it is a good idea, but the point is -- there is a balance. I just happen to come down on the other side.

Personally, I don't want to explain or even show my "boundaries" to other players, particularly b/c those boundaries are fluid and subject to change, even with respect to specific individuals. But no worries. You're not the first, nor will you be the last, to disagree with me. ;)

Dasty

^ pretty much says it all, I don't want people on my friends list to have access to all my friends, I'm in multiple guilds, and just because I'm friends with one person there, doesn't mean I want them on every toon, Not to mention I've 80+ toons on SF alone, how large will my friends list jump to, if everyone was added. Certain toons run certain things, I keep them separate for a reason, and I'd like it to stay that way.

Yet the entire rest of your post explains why it is "subjective" - even including expressions like "for the most part."

I say objective because not everyone is entrenched like us long timers in having a decentralized system and if given the proper supplements, it could be a system that works for everyone. We (forum posters) are not the majority and I do think this is worth discussing at the very least.

That language, by its very definition, suggests subjectivity.

When I typed that, it was connected to its context, so it would be appreaciated if you treated it all as an addition independent of the original statement, rather than a contradiction to my main argumemt. I'll clarify:

I'm sorry but this is a poor reason to oppose what would be an objective improvement to the game's social aspect.

^ That is its own statement, one I still stand by. It would improve the social aspect. Social. Socializing. As in people connecting. If you place the proposed system and the current next to each other, I don't know any sane person that could argue that the current is more sociable than the proposed. If you want to selectively socialize, that's fine. I would be in favor of the current system for privacy reasons too but it's flawed itself and I would like a system that lets me add my friends without needing to keep track of dozens of alts on dozens of characters. As Steve mentioned, a 'whitelist' would be great alongside it. Like a modern system.

It was mentioned that a new friendslist with modern functions would include the statuses and that alone should alleviate issues for the most part.

^ This is in reference to the addition Steve made and I put the "for the most part" in there because I acknowledge the disagreement there is here and understand that a bare implementation would fail to cover your concerns. I even stated that I understand where you're coming from because I spent 8 years not wanting to be noticed by some people when just wanting to play or whatever. This is where people can suggest things that make it better for their particular issue or disagree entirely and either is fine.

And, forgive me for being blunt, it's not really your place to tell me what is "easier" on how to handle specific relationships you know nothing about.

Mere suggestions, I didn't tell you anything was easier. But go off.

I don't mind disagreement at all. It helps to shape a firm position!

Dasty

Fair enough on the first point, can't say I care for the latter. We're just talking on a forum. ;)

^ pretty much says it all, I don't want people on my friends list to have access to all my friends, I'm in multiple guilds, and just because I'm friends with one person there, doesn't mean I want them on every toon, Not to mention I've 80+ toons on SF alone, how large will my friends list jump to, if everyone was added. Certain toons run certain things, I keep them separate for a reason, and I'd like it to stay that way.

Where is it suggested that anyone else have access to your friendslist? You meant your toons? I could see that being an issue and I don't think BW would get down to the wire and let us filter what toons people see anyway. Maybe this current system can remain for general friends but there be a supplemental one built for 'true friends' for legacy? A 'true friends' feature with more modern settings like status toggles, whitelists and the like.

And if everyone from your 80+ toons friendlists were added, the idea is that people with multiple toons on your lists would be condensed into just their legacy name with the toon I.D popping up. At least, with how I understand and have pitched it. About half of my 50~ toons have packed friendlists but they're full of alts from a few old friends, guildies and RP partners. I could at least see some benefit.

Hmm, it looks to me as though the discussion is coming down to people in two distinct groups - the "Yes, this would be a great idea, even if some individuals have implementation concerns", and "heck no, I don't want random other people to be able to friend and stalk me without me knowing". Both groups are perfectly willing and able to argue in favour of their positions :p

One of the comments from Toraak, mentioning Discord, reminded me of a discussion I had a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away, at one of the Cantina events.

Basically the same discussion came up, and it was not a new idea then. But the prevailing view was that if people wanted to be sociable or contactable across legacy or servers, that external communication tools were the way to go (<sarc>after all, it is not like this is a MMO...</sarc>), and that the BW devs had other priorities. At the time, that was TeamSpeak or Ventrillo, but I guess now it would be Discord.

Rather than deciding that external comms was absolutely the best way to go, my recollection is that the philosophy was more along the lines of "an adequate external solution already exists, and the time/effort required to replicate that functionality in-game is not a high-enough priority to be on the roadmap".

Edited by Erevan_Kindelar

• 5 weeks later...
No thank you. It would be okay if we had to approve the person requesting to be put on your friend's list but since we don't, there is no way we need legacy friend.

+1 on this one. I would like to allow SOME people so see my alts. So:

* invite needs to be accepted before it takes effect

* one can remove somebody from the aproved list. So even if I agreed before but found out it was a not so good idea with this one, I want to be able to stop it.

* i can have alts that I leave ot of the "automatically friend"

Where is it suggested that anyone else have access to your friendslist? You meant your toons? I could see that being an issue and I don't think BW would get down to the wire and let us filter what toons people see anyway.

Oops yes, meant toons...lol

And if everyone from your 80+ toons friendlists were added, the idea is that people with multiple toons on your lists would be condensed into just their legacy name with the toon I.D popping up. At least, with how I understand and have pitched it. About half of my 50~ toons have packed friendlists but they're full of alts from a few old friends, guildies and RP partners. I could at least see some benefit.

True, but 90% of the people on my friends lists are only on one particular toon, it's very rare I have them on multiple toons, unless I know them in RL. So if they did add them in, it would add up...lol. Might be a little exaggeration, I don't think my friends list would bust, but it'd fill quite fast...lol.

But I still stand by the fact I don't want everyone I know on one toon, to know them all.

Edited by DarkTergon

Oops yes, meant toons...lol

True, but 90% of the people on my friends lists are only on one particular toon, it's very rare I have them on multiple toons, unless I know them in RL. So if they did add them in, it would add up...lol. Might be a little exaggeration, I don't think my friends list would bust, but it'd fill quite fast...lol.

But I still stand by the fact I don't want everyone I know on one toon, to know them all.

its called custom chat channels, which have been used well before this game ever came out. the only drawback to custom chat chans in this game is that they STILL have not turned on the mod controls.

And still a solid HELL NO to any legacy friend system. I would rather see them put the time and effort into cleaning up the fuster cluck of the existing chat system and notifications.

Edited by Kaveat