Unnecessary Armor Details

cheletha

I have a lot of love for many of SWTORs outfits and armor sets. They're original, fun, and they have that very special feel to them that only Star Wars could give. And yet every time SWTOR comes out with new armor sets, I dread the moment when I have to flip my character around in the preview screen, often to be met by a gigantic cylinder with an antenna sticking out of it, or a strange flap, or some sort of insane detail that suddenly makes the outfit less like something a person would wear and more like something they'd be forced into so that they would sink better.

Armor has come in multiple versions before: one with something a little extra and one without, as seen in the "Resort Swimwear" armor set. Why did SWTOR only do this once, and never again? They should continue to do so: to release multiple versions of an outfit, either within the same armor set or as separate pieces. I know I would pay for it.

The details that some of these armors offer should be optional: the gigantic cylinders, large backpacks, spice racks, even capes and hoods. Maybe it can be an option that you can toggle, or multiple chestpieces in the same armor set. Again: They've done it once. Why stop there?

The option to remove these large additions will not remove the 'Star Wars' out of it, or make the outfit design any less original. There are so many armors and chestpieces that would benefit from this and would suddenly see so much more use rather than sit in a corner gathering dust because players don't want to be poked in the eye by something that looks like a radio satellite backpack while they're enjoying the game.

Armor has come in multiple versions before: one with something a little extra and one without, as seen in the "Resort Swimwear" armor set. Why did SWTOR only do this once, and never again? They should continue to do so: to release multiple versions of an outfit, either within the same armor set or as separate pieces. I know I would pay for it.

Resort Swimwear isn't the only set that does that. There are also:

* Malgus Restored - there's a breath-screen mask like Malgus uses and a full-face mask

* Je'daii Warrior - the chest comes in hood-up and hood-down versions

* Cyber Agent - the chest has a sort of scarf thing or not

It seems like a thing they're doing more often.

Then again, there have been recent suggestions of something more elaborate:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=984562

Note especially the first paragraph of my post.

I always have to laugh at outfits where the only way you're going to walk through a door is to put one shoulder in first, or heaven help you if you go to rub your eye, you'll poke it out with that razor-sharp wrist guard on the back of your hand, and you can forget running in those boots, first time you fall, the shin guard will slice through your tibia, and if you're at the dinner table with someone sitting next to you, be careful how you reach across the person to grab the plate of potatoes, you'll slice his arm off with your bracer.

if you're at the dinner table with someone sitting next to you, be careful how you reach across the person to grab the plate of potatoes, you'll slice his arm off with your bracer.

I was always taught that it's bad manners to reach across someone like that anyway, even if you aren't wearing vambraces all covered in razor blades.

EDIT: you should ask politely for the person next to you (that you don't want to cut with those razor blades) to pass you the potatoes.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

• 1 month later...
And one million percent enough with the backpack crap... especially antennas, and such.

^^This. I mean look at these two recently released trooper(ish) sets for example:

https://swtorista.com/armor/outer-rim-officer#:~:text=The%20Outer%20Rim%20Officer%20armor,any%20level%20on%20any%20class.

https://swtorista.com/armor/discharged-infantry#:~:text=Discharged%20Infantry%20Armor%20Set%20is%20a%20Cartel%20Market%20item%2C%20which,chance%20in%20a%20Cartel%20Pack.

Both of these examples (there are so many more) would be so much nicer with out the backpack. The Discharged Infantry set I don't even know what that coffee can looking backpack is supposed to be...

Edited by TyrFoge