Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

invertedknife

But don't you all see the real problem here? Putting stuff in lottery packs instead of selling it openly -any stuff- is almost a scam in my opinion!

It can't qualify as a "scam" unless they are forcing you to buy them, and/or are misrepresenting the contents. They are doing neither.

They are however "tempting" to people who like games of chance. But like all games of chance, they are random and one would hope the player knows and accepts this before playing. Packs don't harm players, players harm themselves.

But they are not evil. and some people like them, and they do in fact create and inject an entire new facet of gear and items into the player economy.

Personally, I don't enjoy games of chance, but I understand some people do. I don't begrudge them for it, and I do see the larger picture of what Cartel Packs do for the game both directly and indirectly. And it's not like Bioware invented the concept in any way. Other MMO shops have done this for a long time. But Bioware has put their own nuance to it.. by making all the content freely tradeable between players.. which IMO advances the state of the game in MMOs in the context of item shops.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest issue with this is that the cube takes the place of an artifact slot within the cartel pack.

On this point.. I 100% agree with you!

They should have been a random item in the packs... but NOT take up an artifact slot. They should have been a "cherry on top" of the regular pack random awards.

This was their only real mistake IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Umm... from Eric Musco.

You are making qualifying statements about something, but you have yet to state how YOU know how these things function. My point is that I DO know a very little bit of what goes on, especially in a corporate setting like what BioWare goes through to get from the drawing board to the shelf, just in a different industry. One of my co-workers was a visual design artist and he said our company functions much the same the gaming company he worked for. I have established some basis for my knowledge. Unless someone from the industry can refute this, I can say that you are wrong.

It's not something as simple as "delete lines of code." That's like saying I don't like the white bricks mixed in with the red bricks in this wall, just take them out. It will be fine.

He did not say the pack was complete, he said the cubes are. I have already pointed out that if they really did not want to put the next set of cubes into the next set of packs they simply wouldn't. They have many different ways they could still get the cubes (since already made) into the game.

You obviously have never done any programing at all. It indeed is sometimes exactly as easy as just deleting lines of code with maybe a minor tweak here or there. Especially since we are talking about 4? individual items in random packs that are most likely either preset into various configurations or each category "rolls a dice" for each pack when its opened/generated. If preset configurations, simply altering or removing the presets with the cubes would be simple enough. If random rolls, just messing with the %'s and making the cubes 0% would probably do it. Of course if the packs are not even done yet, which i doubt they were a couple weeks back, they would simply just not have to include the cubes at all.

An Analogy with colored bricks, maybe i have seen it all. heh.

If they really did care what people thought why not simply do some polls/discussions and find out what people thought b4 going about and pissing a lot of them off? Or if they do try something like the cubes set them up to be a one time thing instead of just saying "Welp if they don't quit the first time we put cubes in they wont quit when we do it a 2nd time. So lets set it up initially to run twice then we can say its already done if there is back lash. "

While random packs leave a bit of a dirty taste in my mouth, i have to agree they are very up front about whats in them and that they are indeed random. So clearly not a scam even if they can feel like it a bit after you open your 10th pack and didn't get that 1 item you wanted. heh.

Yes i agree about them taking a spot in the random pack being an issue as well. The issue that actually kept me from buying any of the last pack, and if nothing is changed this next one as well.

i am sorry but this is completely uncalled for? why are there cutscenes unlocks in the cartel market? these provide interesting information about the story. it is absurd for having to pay for them.

It's bioware, how are you surprised by this?

He did not say the pack was complete, he said the cubes are. I have already pointed out that if they really did not want to put the next set of cubes into the next set of packs they simply wouldn't. They have many different ways they could still get the cubes (since already made) into the game.

You obviously have never done any programing at all. It indeed is sometimes exactly as easy as just deleting lines of code with maybe a minor tweak here or there. Especially since we are talking about 4? individual items in random packs that are most likely either preset into various configurations or each category "rolls a dice" for each pack when its opened/generated. If preset configurations, simply altering or removing the presets with the cubes would be simple enough. If random rolls, just messing with the %'s and making the cubes 0% would probably do it. Of course if the packs are not even done yet, which i doubt they were a couple weeks back, they would simply just not have to include the cubes at all.

An Analogy with colored bricks, maybe i have seen it all. heh.

I'm lost where

You just have one more pack of what we had already created.

means that the cubes and not the packs are done. Maybe if you turn it sideways and look at it in a narrow way, while squinting, maybe? To me, "already created" is the selection of rewards and gear was already set within their randomization boxes, ready for deployment on Wed.

Since the last posting, I have talked to a few people who do code, and they say that depending on the architecture of the program, my analogy is accurate. Not knowing how the randomization is applied, it could mess up anything from pack drops, to loot drops, or any other random generation function. It could leave a hole (a missing item would piss off EVERYONE, not just the Cube Nazis), it could leave a graphic error, etc., etc. The permutations are massive and, as I've stated before, would cause a delay in the next drop.

So, back to my original statement, why should those who could care less about these cubes be punished because some kill-joys got a burr up their butt?

• 4 weeks later...
Yea? So what? We just spent $10/$20 for an expac, why are you shocked? At least the cubes can be purchased via GTN for @ 20-30k each. Can't seem to find where you can buy the expac on the GTN.

Yea at least this 'story content' is available without spending actual money.

each cube gives u a quest on Nar Shadda with a 1 minute cutscene of the shroud talking about his plans. there are 4 cubes in total.

also looking at it form the view of people buying cartel packs, they are getting multiple useless items. these cubes are purple items. so people paying for packs are basically being cheated out of one purple item everytime they get a encrypted cube.

Well that is... a bit... -___-

Even though i probably will never buy any of these, the fact that they are there / BW does this is kind of.... -____-

Cutscenes and story lines? Really... hmm...

Edited by paowee

Yea? So what? We just spent $10/$20 for an expac, why are you shocked? At least the cubes can be purchased via GTN for @ 20-30k each. Can't seem to find where you can buy the expac on the GTN.

On my server the old ones are selling for that, the new ones sell for 100k -500k per cube.

Well that is... a bit... -___-

Even though i probably will never buy any of these, the fact that they are there / BW does this is kind of.... -____-

Cutscenes and story lines? Really... hmm...

What the rest of it doesn't say: There are actually 8 datacubes. At the conclusion of each you get a greater valor or xp boost, XP, and credits. When you get all 8, you also receive the Revered Chronicler's armor set. So you get 8 greater xp/valor boosts, hand full of XP, cr, and some gear. Plus some background story content that really isn't that interesting. I actually got bored watching it.

So I decided to necro this for the express purpose of stating that when you get all the datacubes, and turn all 8 in, you gain xp for doing so. Can't tell me these aren't story missions in the CM now. Pretty obvious at this point.

It is clear now that the purpose of the 8 datacubes was to create a simple unlock for a set of adaptive armor. Nothing more, nothing less. It was actually an interesting approach they were testing. But since you all raised such a stink... that's probably the end of that technique. The story inside each cube mission is meaningless and useless for anyone except a storyline completionist.

Acquire the 8 cubes, unlock them, hit the mission terminal on Nar 8 times, collect your armor and some xp, along with a bound booster pack with each mission completion.

The carrot is the armor set (Revered Chronicler’s Armor set). Which can only be acquired in this way, and is addable to collections for a whopping 60 CC... which is extremely cheap for something of such rarity from the CM

I wanted the armor set.. so I purchased a full set of cubes off the GTN... just like I purchase full sets of armor off the GTN all the time that are sourced from the CM. Whoopty doo... If I did not want the armor set unlocked.. I could care less about snapping up the cubes off the GTN.

The one downside to the cubes is they ate a rare loot slot in the packs, whereas it should have just been a random additional loot slot IMO.

All this fuss over these being about selling storylines is hyperbole of the extreme order. If you think otherwise, then you are extremely low standards as to what constitutes story in this game.. which is ironic given how many people complain about the storylines in this game that are not class storylines.

Edited by Andryah

All this fuss over these being about selling storylines is hyperbole of the extreme order. If you think otherwise, then you are extremely low standards as to what constitutes story in this game.. which is ironic given how many people complain about the storylines in this game that are not class storylines.

Considering all the fuss, the "story" in the cubes was definitely a big letdown. A few passive cutscenes that didn't add much at all to the Makeb storyline.

Andryah, we both know that if it was a holo of Trymbo telling his crazy stories, people would have complained. This is just another example of how ridiculous some people are and are just all ready to see conspiracy and dirty deals wherever they look. (Not that some current events make even the most rational mind, a bit paranoid) In this case all they wanted was a strawman and since Big Bird wasn't available, the datacubes served. It was never about the story, it was never about used item slot, it was all just another Red Scare. Keep the dominoes from falling. Some just want to see the worst in everything.

So if any BioWare people might read this far, I suggest that from now on, you don't make any commitments until the whole surprise is revealed. I would have liked to see more of this.

Andryah, we both know that if it was a holo of Trymbo telling his crazy stories, people would have complained. This is just another example of how ridiculous some people are and are just all ready to see conspiracy and dirty deals wherever they look. (Not that some current events make even the most rational mind, a bit paranoid) In this case all they wanted was a strawman and since Big Bird wasn't available, the datacubes served. It was never about the story, it was never about used item slot, it was all just another Red Scare. Keep the dominoes from falling. Some just want to see the worst in everything.

So if any BioWare people might read this far, I suggest that from now on, you don't make any commitments until the whole surprise is revealed. I would have liked to see more of this.

I have to disagree. This is the first complaint I've made about this game. There was story content in the Cartel Market. Some people may not think this is a big deal, and that's fine for them. I found it to be a big deal that there were missions in the Cartel Market with story to them. I also find it a big deal that you gain experience points for completing them all. Again, it's a meager amount so some people may not be that concerned about it, but I do find it troubling. Eric admitting that they were testing to see if it would be a good avenue for story content compounded my concern. I'm afraid we are not going to see eye-to-eye on this, as some of us are concerned and some of us aren't. But this is my perspective. I'm not claiming to represent any one else's feelings at all. i don't think it was right. I feel that this was pretty underhanded on Bioware's part. That's all.

How is this hyperbole when that's what Eric said... IN THIS THREAD?

Well, Andryah likes to use buzz words, like "hyperbole", a lot (to make her unbridled defense of Bioware seem more convincing, of course), so it is no surprise that sometimes she inevitably becomes a victim of that you-keep-using-that-word-but-I-don't-think-you-know-what-you-think-it-means syndrome.

I have to disagree. This is the first complaint I've made about this game. There was story content in the Cartel Market. Some people may not think this is a big deal, and that's fine for them. I found it to be a big deal that there were missions in the Cartel Market with story to them. I also find it a big deal that you gain experience points for completing them all. Again, it's a meager amount so some people may not be that concerned about it, but I do find it troubling. Eric admitting that they were testing to see if it would be a good avenue for story content compounded my concern. I'm afraid we are not going to see eye-to-eye on this, as some of us are concerned and some of us aren't. But this is my perspective. I'm not claiming to represent any one else's feelings at all. i don't think it was right. I feel that this was pretty underhanded on Bioware's part. That's all.

Of course you would disagree, Trymbo's stories are SO important and relevant. It was primarily you and people like you who negatively spun this, not even knowing what the final goal was or even what direction it was taking. You jumped on the soapbox, editing and obfuscating facts that opposed your viewpoint. For example:

hey everyone,

our plan with the encrypted datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game.

just for reference, in case you forgot what he said.

Why not post the WHOLE thing?

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

Where they state that it was yes, story content, but also state that " ...which are not gameplay impacting." So the writers of the "story content" even say that it isn't gameplay impacting content, i.e. about as important as the little background conversations we hear from time to time. And truly, if you have seen the datacube holorecordings, it's all that the "content" amounts to, the same as listening to that guy talk about the Evocii on Nar Shaddaa. "Go meet one, then you can talk. Fifty credits you wind up shoving one into a gutter... and laughing."

Somehow the dividing line of relevant and irrelevant is nonexistent, hence the use of "hyperbole" by Andrya. For some of us Krewel, it's common parlance and we forget that others were not so fortunate with their education. She used it well, since it most aptly fits the situation. Hyperbole: Extreme exaggeration or overstatement; especially as a literary or rhetorical device. This is an extreme exaggeration of what constitutes story content. It is being used as a device, even, just a spin device in this case.

On the bright side, since you made me go back and look at the exact quote, rather than your edited viewpoint friendly version. I did note that the statement was that there were no further plans. As they have frequently noted, plans change, and I hope they do in this case.

Of course you would disagree, Trymbo's stories are SO important and relevant. It was primarily you and people like you who negatively spun this, not even knowing what the final goal was or even what direction it was taking. You jumped on the soapbox, editing and obfuscating facts that opposed your viewpoint. For example:

Why not post the WHOLE thing?

Where they state that it was yes, story content, but also state that " ...which are not gameplay impacting." So the writers of the "story content" even say that it isn't gameplay impacting content, i.e. about as important as the little background conversations we hear from time to time. And truly, if you have seen the datacube holorecordings, it's all that the "content" amounts to, the same as listening to that guy talk about the Evocii on Nar Shaddaa. "Go meet one, then you can talk. Fifty credits you wind up shoving one into a gutter... and laughing."

Somehow the dividing line of relevant and irrelevant is nonexistent, hence the use of "hyperbole" by Andrya. For some of us Krewel, it's common parlance and we forget that others were not so fortunate with their education. She used it well, since it most aptly fits the situation. Hyperbole: Extreme exaggeration or overstatement; especially as a literary or rhetorical device. This is an extreme exaggeration of what constitutes story content. It is being used as a device, even, just a spin device in this case.

On the bright side, since you made me go back and look at the exact quote, rather than your edited viewpoint friendly version. I did note that the statement was that there were no further plans. As they have frequently noted, plans change, and I hope they do in this case.

Incorrect. What it's saying is that any story content isn't gameplay impacting. Not that particular instance of story content. Which is something I completely disagree with. Any type of story content or lore IS gameplay impacting, especially if you're playing the game for.... the story and the lore.

Edited by jamesvasquez

referring to story content as story content is not extreme exaggeration. it's content, it has story. maybe you think it's not a lot of story, or not incredibly significant story, but there is still a story. "extreme" exaggeration as applied to hyperbole is typically extreme enough to be obvious. such as "that weighs a ton" when it only weighs a few pounds. your defense of the use of the word 'hyperbole' in an incorrect situation does not do credit to your educators.

they introduce things into the cartel market that impact gameplay. the cartel market in it's current form is not limited to things that only effect how you look. a companion that can heal and tank at level 10, or a +41 crystal at level 10, can actually make a difference in how fast you can kill an npc, and it effects the level of content you're able to survive. eric may say that they don't introduce things that effect gameplay, but that doesn't change the fact that they do introduce things into the cartel market that effect gameplay.

they introduce things into the cartel market that impact gameplay. the cartel market in it's current form is not limited to things that only effect how you look. a companion that can heal and tank at level 10, or a +41 crystal at level 10, can actually make a difference in how fast you can kill an npc, and it effects the level of content you're able to survive. eric may say that they don't introduce things that effect gameplay, but that doesn't change the fact that they do introduce things into the cartel market that effect gameplay.

And they all mean very little in the end, the crystals are equal to the in-game ones at the high levels and companions can't be used in Ops.

You might as well start complaining about XP boosts and such too, since they'll let people level faster than you.

The companion is also completely obtainable through in game means.

Edited by Callaron

And they all mean very little in the end, the crystals are equal to the in-game ones at the high levels and companions can't be used in Ops.

You might as well start complaining about XP boosts and such too, since they'll let people level faster than you.

The companion is also completely obtainable through in game means.

and she's awesome if you give her a whirl.