Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand you all operate a business, and that is the entire, and only reason we have this awesome game to play.

You want and need to make a healthy profit, or games like this dont get made, or continue to exist.

But this? This is just frakin tacky.

I've been a subscriber on 2 accounts from day 1.

I have 2 collectors edition boxes.

What do I get ? Poodoo

You can take this reputation system and put it on the same shelf as SOE's NGE.

/signed

A ticked off customer.

Edited by OrionSol

You are very good in making subscribers angry, BioWare. I think you have too many of them, and thats why you do things like that. You want to get rid of your subribers by anger them more and more every month. If so, you are on the right way - go on!

Since I've already done it before, I'm going to do it again. Goodbye SWTOR. I won't miss your money hungry, pay to win ways. Good to see you're really reading the feedback. You know, the massive amounts of feedback from people that absolutely hate this. So what's your idea? Let's add more. It's good to see that you've suckered so many whales into buying your garbage.

Who in the hell really thinks that the Cartel Market is content? Oh yeah, that's right, Bioware/EA does. Thanks and later.

So let's see. F2P launched around half a year ago. Since then, we've got one full shipment. Let's assume that you will need only 300 packs(most likely more) to reach legend and get some certificates. This means 20 packs per month. Fact that no subscriber ever will be able to reach that without spending exta money is obvious. What is not obvious, is that anyone interested in that rep will have to shell out 300x320 CC, 96 000. Assuming best priced CC, this is over 17x5500. Almost 700$ on top of 80$ subscription each 6 months.

This is not reward for people purchasing packs from CM. This is reward for people purchasing TONS of packs from CM. Person that will invest 'only' 100$ to each shipment will hardly get any reward. If they're lucky, maybe enough rep to get to Friend. Another six months, another grind from scratch just to get nothing.

I won't get into discussion if whole rep idea is good or bad, but if you intend to 'reset' it (I know, it's not reset, but with new rep and removal of old packs, it's damn close to one) with each shipment, it fails to serve purpose of rewarding buyers. But I guess true purpose is just to make people pay tons of money for some crappy headgear, without paying for it directly.

I understand you all operate a business, and that is the entire, and only reason we have this awesome game to play.

You want and need to make a healthy profit, or games like this dont get made, or continue to exist.

But this? This is just frakin tacky.

I've been a subscriber on 2 accounts from day 1.

I have 2 collectors edition boxes.

What do I get ? Poodoo

You can take this reputation system and put it on the same shelf as SOE's NGE.

/signed

A ticked off customer.

Hey, you know those exclusive items you got for buying that collectors edition? No one else can get those, ever. So you paid more for the game and got stuff that us poor people who just bought the standard edition didn't get. That's paying to win. Now I'll never be able to collect all the mounts in the game without spending extra money beyond my sub on a collectors box somewhere.

This was a bit upsetting to me and a bit shocking as well. I'm surprised at myself that I was shocked, I should have known there were no depths too low a corporation would sink to squeeze money from its erstwhile customers. Having a reputation faction where the only way to progress it is to spend real money is a blatant and disgusting money grab, which only proves the arguments many have been making all along, that the company behind this game is not here to provide a game it is here to strip as much money from its users as possible and then run as far and as fast as they can, all the while with an evil chuckle at our expense.

Seriously though, there are better ways to implement a Cartel rep grind, perhaps with random drops from Hutt controlled areas of the game such as Quesh, Hutta. Make heroic instances with a Hutt controlled theme give a rep trophy upon completion. This would encourage game participation without requiring customers who already pay good money to play pay additional coin for a relatively miniscule reward.

and the people that are buying them are putting money back into this game's development.

This still has to be confirmed. 5 months and i'm still waiting for content that worth F2P changes & CM.

Edited by Kesphin

This was a bit upsetting to me and a bit shocking as well. I'm surprised at myself that I was shocked, I should have known there were no depths too low a corporation would sink to squeeze money from its erstwhile customers. Having a reputation faction where the only way to progress it is to spend real money is a blatant and disgusting money grab, which only proves the arguments many have been making all along, that the company behind this game is not here to provide a game it is here to strip as much money from its users as possible and then run as far and as fast as they can, all the while with an evil chuckle at our expense.

Seriously though, there are better ways to implement a Cartel rep grind, perhaps with random drops from Hutt controlled areas of the game such as Quesh, Hutta. Make heroic instances with a Hutt controlled theme give a rep trophy upon completion. This would encourage game participation without requiring customers who already pay good money to play pay additional coin for a relatively miniscule reward.

Honest question. Why do you need that little line that says "Cartel Reputation" filled? How is it impacting your game by not filling that little bar?

let's make this clear, no one said you guys have to buy the packs and grind the rep. this is just an added bonus for people that like the items in the packs. also they made it easy by just using a system in game instead of creating a rewards program out of the game.

If we are going to keep this system can we at least make the certificats legacy bound as I have opened these packs on different alts and it is annoying that the certificates cannot be combined together.

Considering it is random whether a certificate will drop and due to the inventory space that the companion gifts and other stuff take up I cannot open all the packs I buy on one alt. Seems badly designed in my opinion but then again so are the Gree components.

.This particular type of rep grind is a very bad choice. The thing is if you want to reward buying you cartel stuff, you should've rewarded them with some usable type of consumables i.e. fireworks. Why ? Well as far as I see it ,you are already getting rewarded for buying packs or gear..by turning around and making credits from it on gtn or general chat. So not only are they inflating the market but getting props for it.

You guys (EA/Bio) have been steadly adding to the cash shop while taking away from game play experience. No new crafting schems making all but a few crafting skills viable.Adding great looking gear only obtainable by spending real cash. And please don't say that it's ok because we can buy them off gtn,someone still has to PAY CASH to put them there.

It might be time for many of us subscribers that stayed here in hope of this game turning around to re-evaluate that assessment.

If you care about the game and it's customers then rethink this one through again and apply it to future things you want to do. Because you guys are not winning us over with double exp weekends kind of nonsense.

So let's see. F2P launched around half a year ago. Since then, we've got one full shipment. Let's assume that you will need only 300 packs(most likely more) to reach legend and get some certificates. This means 20 packs per month. Fact that no subscriber ever will be able to reach that without spending exta money is obvious. What is not obvious, is that anyone interested in that rep will have to shell out 300x320 CC, 96 000. Assuming best priced CC, this is over 17x5500. Almost 700$ on top of 80$ subscription each 6 months.

This is not reward for people purchasing packs from CM. This is reward for people purchasing TONS of packs from CM. Person that will invest 'only' 100$ to each shipment will hardly get any reward. If they're lucky, maybe enough rep to get to Friend. Another six months, another grind from scratch just to get nothing.

I won't get into discussion if whole rep idea is good or bad, but if you intend to 'reset' it (I know, it's not reset, but with new rep and removal of old packs, it's damn close to one) with each shipment, it fails to serve purpose of rewarding buyers. But I guess true purpose is just to make people pay tons of money for some crappy headgear, without paying for it directly.

I wanted to point out that your Math is incorrect. I will admit that i dropped $100 on these packs and i'm aaaaaaalmost legend already.

I figure $150 in packs should pretty much get anyone to Legend, even with horrible luck.

If we are going to keep this system can we at least make the certificats legacy bound as I have opened these packs on different alts and it is annoying that the certificates cannot be combined together.

Considering it is random whether a certificate will drop and due to the inventory space that the companion gifts and other stuff take up I cannot open all the packs I buy on one alt. Seems badly designed in my opinion but then again so are the Gree components.

This is an issue, it really needs to be Legacy.

That's a good idea.

Not that I'll ever buy enough packs to get 10 certificates. I bought a 24 pack of the new pack because I liked the items inside, I got 3 certificates. There is no way I buy another 48 packs, especially if they're changing the rep for each collections of packs. Hopefully those certificates can be traded in for new kinds in the future.

Hey, you know those exclusive items you got for buying that collectors edition? No one else can get those, ever. So you paid more for the game and got stuff that us poor people who just bought the standard edition didn't get. That's paying to win. Now I'll never be able to collect all the mounts in the game without spending extra money beyond my sub on a collectors box somewhere.

Sadly (for me) the Spiffy mount came with the digital deluxe edition as well as the CE.

I believe you can upgrade to DD for $5.

will admit that i dropped $100 on these packs and i'm aaaaaaalmost legend already.

No you're not :p

The weekly cap is 36,000. Legend is 70,000. You are not close to Legend yet. Next week, maybe.

EDIT: Oops, unless you meant you are Champion level...then yes, you're next one up is Legend, grats!

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Sadly (for me) the Spiffy mount came with the digital deluxe edition as well as the CE.

I believe you can upgrade to DD for $5.

The mount was just an example ;) The point is, spending more REAL DOLLARS and getting extra stuff is not a new concept in MMOs.

The mount was just an example ;) The point is, spending more REAL DOLLARS and getting extra stuff is not a new concept in MMOs.

There's a difference in degree here. Having a random chance to be able to afford a cosmetic item after spending hundreds of dollars is not nearly the same as "spend a little more and get X", especially when this is happening every time a pack comes out.

Edited by Telanis

All of these Cartel Rep items should REALLY be unbound. Your argument from day one about the "fairness" of the cartel market was that these items were not bound and were able to be freely sold on the GTN.

So let us be able to trade and sell these Reputation items. People who feel left out can then put their virtual money where there mouth is.

As you state many times in the Blog post: Money talks. This theme would continue in that you could then BUY reputation with in game credits.

Also, i think this would actually increase sales of cartel packs because people would then purchase them just to sell the reputation to other players. Especially if they already capped.

Inherently, a system that we've been told embraces a free market must continue to do so.

I wanted to point out that your Math is incorrect. I will admit that i dropped $100 on these packs and i'm aaaaaaalmost legend already.

I figure $150 in packs should pretty much get anyone to Legend, even with horrible luck.

I'd also like to call bull. I had about $20 worth of CC saved up (a little more actually,) that I blew on packs yesterday hoping for some of that awesome KotOR armor, and I barely scratched newcomer. Didn't get all greens either.

No you're not :p

The weekly cap is 36,000. Legend is 70,000. You are not close to Legend yet. Next week, maybe.

EDIT: Oops, unless you meant you are Champion level...then yes, you're next one up is Legend, grats!

Yeah, champ and i had horribad luck on rep items. countless stingy green bastards.

I got the spiffy champ armor if you want screenies.

This still has to be confirmed. 5 months and i'm still waiting for content that worth F2P changes & CM.

I don't think we'll ever get any kind of breakdown for their income and where all the funds go.

However, I do know that creating story content, operations, developing new systems, new planets, are all a lot more expensive than making armor, speeders, and pets for packs. Heck, WoW whips those a a few days notice and throws them up for charity when there's some big disaster. :p

The overall quality of Makeb is going to say a lot about how much time and effort is going to the playability of the game, I think. If that was a total bust then I'd be awfully disappointed. They *say* that the income from the Cartel Market has allowed them to do a lot of cool stuff with Makeb. I really don't see much of a point in just saying "they're liars!" when I haven't even seen it yet.