Sick of answering security questions!! - Every time I login.....

FooBard

OK, about a month ago - for some reason, my game client at home popped up and asked me a security question. Not a problem at this point...

It had done it a time or two as I had logged in with my wifes account to do some stuff with her toons (I was too lazy to jump over on her computer) when we were setting things up in the beginning.

But I had not logged into her account for weeks. It just randomly decided to ask me a security question.... Still not really a problem.

Here's where the problem started. That night I suffered a severe brain fart and didn't read the "Question" right. I thought it was asking me for the "name" of someone. I typed the first and last name. Again and again....

After about 8 times... I said Heck with it.

Next day I get to work and pull the forums up and - It asks me the same security question.... This time, I saw the question CORRECTLY!! "Last name you Eediot!!!". :rolleyes:

So I entered the persons "Last name" and was good to go.

Got home that night, logged into the game - same security Question. I gleefully answer it CORRECTLY this time and I'm off swinging my light saber.... :D

Next day - Go to log into the game. Same security Question - again.

I figured, "Hey, they probably think someone tried to hack my account... or something????" No big deal. NOW they know it's really me....

{Begin Rant}

Next day - Same security Question - again. :rolleyes:

Next day - Same

Next day - :mad:

....................etc...

This has gone of for OVER a Month now - EVERY TIME I log into the game (Not the forums), it asks me a Security Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY CAN NOT YOUR GAME CLIENT AUTHENTICATE MY STUPID COMPUTER!!??!!!!???!????????

I am {{{{{{{{{{Sick}}}}}}}}}}} of having to answer the SAME questions every day over and over and over - on the SAME Computer.........

PLEASE FIX THIS ANNOYANCE!!!!!

My "BANK" knows how to do this...

I authenticate a computer to use their system ONCE....

from that point forward, I just enter my login credentials and I'm in.

And I'm telling you now, access to my BANK ACCOUNT info is HELL OF A LOT more important than your stupid video game client....

{/end rant}

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by FooBard

The game has some sort of detection magic that seems to be based at least in part on IP address or address range.

The game now rarely asks me the security questions at home, and my IP almost always falls into a narrowly defined range.

The game sometimes asks me security questions at work, where my IP shifts around a bit more.

When I'm logged in via my cellular service, the game asks me a security question every time. I'm quite certain my IP bounces around like a pinball when I use this service.

It is also my understanding that the game will ask you your security question after some number of failed login attempts. I don't know what the number is specifically, but I think it's low.

If your IP address is bounding around a lot, that might explain it. Another explanation might be hacking attempts.

Have you used the same email address for your SWTOR account on any other web sites, especially fan-sites? (I've seen squirrely behavior even out of the "big" name fan sites...)

Edited by DarthTHC

BW, Welcome to the world of DYNAMIC IP addresses...

WHY THE HELL would they use this method to authenticate a computer? I know my bank sure as hell doesn't. Once I go through the authentication process, they probably save my mac address... which is unique and never changes.

BW just has a bunch of amatures working there is my guess.

Instead of using IP addresses, they should use MAC address. When you connect, they have access to it. Yes, it is easy to spoof a MAC address, but really, if you know the person's password, what's the point? Edited by Roccobb

and they should hire you since you have such expertise.

Yes, I'm qualified to make these comments. I'm a senior programmer/analyst. Been doing this for 18 years now at the corporate level

And no, I would not take a job writing code for a video game company. Maybe 15 years ago I would, but not now.

What's the use though... it is what it is.... I think I'll just change all my secret answers to be the same so I don't have to read the questions any more. It's rediculous :(

The problem is not Bioware it is your ISP. They are using the ugly DYNAMIC IP. If you had a static IP address would not have this problem. Most likely you have cable internet.

Sorry but just reading your 1st post you do not look like a programmer. That looks more like a youth.

Edited by Romiz

I use Security Key, have to generate and enter it everytime but never get asked for security questions anymore.
The constant spamming of security questions was an obvious ploy to prod players into buying a security key.

Its the biggest joke of a security feature because you're constantly supplying the correct answer to security questions, so if your system has already been compromised by a keylogger, lets say, then you've given the security question answers alongside your password.

Incidentally, I already know directly from customer service that they track IP addresses by account, but that's no surprise.

Edited by Ansultares

Security key solves this, but you need to input your security key every time you log in, which gets annoying as well. Blizzard (yeah I know sorry to keep bringing them up) has a nice system that saves some sort of a token on your pc for a limited amount of time that bypasses the authenticator. If you were to login to a different pc it would ask you again, but as long as you're using the same pc you don't need to keep re-entering the key except for roughtly 2-week intervals.

The constant spamming of security questions was an obvious ploy to prod players into buying a security key.

Not the case even with the security key large changes in IP address will require security question.

And honestly I do not like MMOs that do not offer a security key. They are best way to stop getting hacked.

But most important is be careful sites you surf and if a game has addons use extreme care. Addons are one of the biggest causes of account hacking.

Edited by Romiz

security questions are so stupid. You get a hold of a persons security questions and answers and you might as well open up a credit card in their name, buy a new house etc.

Very disturbing the amount of questions SWTOR asked too.

We are all eventually screwed if we all answered them.

security questions are so stupid. You get a hold of a persons security questions and answers and you might as well open up a credit card in their name, buy a new house etc.

Very disturbing the amount of questions SWTOR asked too.

We are all eventually screwed if we all answered them.

You do know that you should never ever answer the actual question right?

If it asks for favorite movie your answer should be something like jQ@3fO87.

Same randomness to any site that has a security question even a bank, same with all passwords.

Also anything that asks for a mothers maiden name should be the same jumble.

Doing anything else is just seriously asking for trouble.

You stuffed up answering your security questions and now it does not trust you. Sounds fair to me. I mean, security questions are there to make your account more secure, and you repeatedly got them wrong......there is bound to be an effect.

I think they are a good idea, after having multiple accounts hacked with other games I think the security question are great.

Yes, I'm qualified to make these comments. I'm a senior programmer/analyst. Been doing this for 18 years now at the corporate level

And no, I would not take a job writing code for a video game company. Maybe 15 years ago I would, but not now.

What's the use though... it is what it is.... I think I'll just change all my secret answers to be the same so I don't have to read the questions any more. It's rediculous :(

Calling bulldink on this.

Also, complaining about a company trying to help keep your account secure? Ladies and gentlemen, can I get a #firstworldproblems please?

Edited by Vahzl

What's the use though... it is what it is.... I think I'll just change all my secret answers to be the same so I don't have to read the questions any more. It's ridiculous :(

So what? You're complaining about having to answer security questions while playing someone else's account...and then forgetting the answers to the security questions.

That is funny.

The problem is not Bioware it is your ISP. They are using the ugly DYNAMIC IP. If you had a static IP address would not have this problem. Most likely you have cable internet.

Bingo. The authentication server is detecting a different IP address then you used on your previous login. It is being cautious because it does not know if it is you, or someone who got a hold of your login/password. The security question resolves this to a large degree, though a secuity key is even stronger.

Hey OP, why not look into your router configuration settings and see if it gives you the option to set a static IP address for your computer. Mine does and I take advantage of it to avoid this sort of thing.

You stuffed up answering your security questions and now it does not trust you. Sounds fair to me. I mean, security questions are there to make your account more secure, and you repeatedly got them wrong......there is bound to be an effect.

I think they are a good idea, after having multiple accounts hacked with other games I think the security question are great.

I agree.

1st off, it's just stupid to have to answer the same questions over and over for a month. What's the point? There is none.

2nd If you got hacked multiple times you should A.) Stop going to **** sites. B.) Stop buying gold. C.) Learn how to make better passwords.

How did you get hacked in other games?

1st off, it's just stupid to have to answer the same questions over and over for a month. What's the point? There is none.

2nd If you got hacked multiple times you should A.) Stop going to **** sites. B.) Stop buying gold. C.) Learn how to make better passwords.

Legitimate sites do get hacked.

If you hate security questions you'll probably hate this suggestion.

But I switched to using an Android phone based security authenticator.

In return it gives me nice perks from the security in-game vendor.

Now I don't answer questions any more. I do type in a code though. But my account is much more secure.

Most of the people I know who have gotten their accounts hacked were taken by surprise because they don't engage in really poor practices like using the same pw on your MMO as any other fan site that some kid can put on the web and some other kid can hack and get your info from. It happens. But not with an authenticator and usually not with a security phrase.

1st off, it's just stupid to have to answer the same questions over and over for a month. What's the point? There is none..

There is a point, it is to make your account more secure. Which it does.

.....or log in on a mates computer that turned out to have a virus on it. In any case, it happens in any manner of ways to a lot of people and more security is a good thing, IMO.

18 years, senior programmer on a corporate level and you don't have a phone that support a security code ap and can't spell ridiculous. at least i can blame my poor grammar and spelling on my ipad because my stubby fingers and touch keyboards don't mix well and being a little lazy.

The security question was the straw that broke my camels back. After being harassed by the system for weeks and being told I was giving the wrong answer only to have the same answer suddenly be right I decided I was done with this game.

Legitimate sites do get hacked.
Indeed google ads has had more then one flash based ad turn out to be malicious. My fiancee while doing web development work discovered a virus in a flash file her very large company was about to publish online. THey ended up tracing the flash file back to a third party vender and then the lawyers got involved. IF that file had gone up a very large number of people would of been infected without having a clue where they got it from. That's why I run adblock noflash and noscript add ons in firefox and I almost never allow the flash part even on sites I frequent. Edited by Tool_of_Society