Sad and broken PvP

SvetoslavB

Today and yesterday my friend an I were doing PvP in The Shadowlands server. We are level 14 and 16. But what we noticed that the PvP is broken and has very sad and unfair matchmaking, we were competing against level 20-30 players and it was just unfair, they were hitting us about 5000 and killing us instantly. This is very sad and must be fixed, because this just breaks the PvP in SWTOR. The levels must be like this: Level 10-15, 15-20, 20-25, 25-30, 30-35, 35-40, 40-45, 45-50, 50-55. Because this is unfair and I can't even gain Valor points. Today we were competing against two level 29s and when I was PvPing on my Commando I was level 37 I believe and was matchmaked against four level 55s. It's just unfair. Please fix this. But overall the PvP is good and fun but the matchmaking sucks.

That's intentional. If you looked at your Buff bar you will notice something called Bolster. This increases your effective level, along with stats, gear, and talent points apparently, but that doesn't show. If they broke up brackets in increments of 5, you would never get any Queue pops. For the purpose of instanced PvP you are treated as a level 55.

Edit: Um, nevermind. Just realized you are probably trolling... If you are truly haven't come to understand how WZ's work though, then excuse me.

Edited by Marxxis

Today and yesterday my friend an I were doing PvP in The Shadowlands server. We are level 14 and 16. But what we noticed that the PvP is broken and has very sad and unfair matchmaking, we were competing against level 20-30 players and it was just unfair, they were hitting us about 5000 and killing us instantly. This is very sad and must be fixed, because this just breaks the PvP in SWTOR. The levels must be like this: Level 10-15, 15-20, 20-25, 25-30, 30-35, 35-40, 40-45, 45-50, 50-55. Because this is unfair and I can't even gain Valor points. Today we were competing against two level 29s and when I was PvPing on my Commando I was level 37 I believe and was matchmaked against four level 55s. It's just unfair. Please fix this. But overall the PvP is good and fun but the matchmaking sucks.

Bolster my good sir, it works in lowbies.

Also highlighted as red, probably was 50-something but not 55. (Unless 4 players all hit 55 inside the WZ's).

Lastly, if PvP was broken up the way you wanted, que times would take.....well....forever.

That's intentional. If you looked at your Buff bar you will notice something called Bolster. This increases your effective level, along with stats, gear, and talent points apparently, but that doesn't show. If they broke up brackets in increments of 5, you would never get any Queue pops. For the purpose of instanced PvP you are treated as a level 55.

Edit: Um, nevermind. Just realized you are probably trolling... If you are truly haven't come to understand how WZ's work though, then excuse me.

Sorry, maybe I just don't know much of how the PvP works, haven't done a lot of PvP when it comes to MMOs.

Assuming you're not trolling, PvP is broken up as follows: 10-29, 30-54, 55. Your skills, stats and abilities are bolstered up to lv 55, if you open your character sheet (default C) and mouse over your abilities you will see they are significantly higher than before (main stat/Endurance most likely around 2k, abilities set to hit/heal for close to 3k).

What probably happened is you got focused by several people either because you can potentially heal or you're a lower level so you have fewer abilities and easier to kill quick, or you ran ahead of your team (commandos should be in the back, let melee get their attention) and became the first thing your opponents saw.

<0_o>

Long time since you played the Lowbie bracket, yes ?

You don't seem to be familiar with the problems of complete Newbies at all. That's called "losing the contact to the earth".

This is the case of complete Newbies getting pwned by professionals and long-time PvP players.

There's SO MUCH info you can ONLY get when reading in these forums here ... and only PvP players trade this info among themselves.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

You don't seem to be familiar with the problems of complete Newbies at all. That's called "losing the contact to the earth".

This is the case of complete Newbies getting pwned by professionals and long-time PvP players.

There's SO MUCH info you can ONLY get when reading in these forums here ... and only PvP players trade this info among themselves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<o_0>

There are a number of drawbacks to being low levels in T1 PvP:

- Bolstered expertise only goes to ~1750 until you get all your relics, implants, and earpieces. You have to fill every slot before you hit 1970, and some of those items are only available in the 20s.

- The lack of some stats on your armor/weapons can hurt you. If you don't have power/surge/crit/aclarity, then the bolster system won't give you any. Alacrity comes the latest, IIRC.

- Because you level quickly, there tends to be a larger gap between your level and the level of your weapons and armor. If you're a new player, you don't have the funds to hit the GTN and consistently buy more stuff.

- There are lots of useful powers and abilities that aren't available at low levels.

So yes... a level 15 PC going against a level 28 PC in a WZ is seriously hampered, even with bolster. This is unfair. However, it's only unfair for a few days as you'll level quickly. Unless you end up in an arena, you can still contribute to your team's objectives. I have seen level 13 sages force speed their wimpy butts to the goal line in Huttball and low level operatives call incaps from stealth, and then stop someone else from capping long enough for people to get there.

The real difficulty with low level PvP is the fact that you don't know your class and (for some people) you don't know how to PvP. If you belong to the second category, you have my sympathy, but know that you're far better off than someone who starts trying to PvP when they hit level 40 or (heaven forbid) 55.

Edited by MCaliban

Get to level 45 as soon as possible if your going to PvP, that way you can have a top tier ability in a tree to use. Make sure you keep all your armoring up to level along with main hand and off hand. Also, I tell everyone this, buy a set of Legacy gear and augments it with Mk-9s so you can slot the gear all the way up to level 55 and use it to transfer or move around mods you get off your higher level toon (to include PvP mods).

As far as weapons go, the Gree weapons are a good investment also as they act as Legacy weapons and you can put in weapons mods from PvP vendors and such for your alts or new Mains.

Something that is very helpful in PvP is having a "REGULAR" team of people to play with as this makes PvP experience more likable for the individuals involved. This game is not like World of Warcraft's PvP, you will not find people soloing down 3-4 people and having "FUN" epic fights. This is team based PvP Highly dependent on watching cool downs and managing your stuns for "STUN LOCK" moment in order to win.

if you wear no gear you get +1444 expertise

each piece of gear you wear bring extra expertise

+38 (head-chest-hand-legs-feet-main hand-off hand-ear-implant-implant=10) +380

+28 (waist-wrist-relic-relic=4) +112

Total 1936 expertise (expertise cap 2018)

funny is if you wear a +41 expertise crystal (lvl10) your expertise will drop by -109 (or 218 if the expertise crystal is in both hands)

wearing a +41 expertise crystal in both hand - Total 1718 expertise (THIS IN BRAKET 1-29)

I did an analisys of the rest of the stats

in my case Willpower/Endurance

Naked - boosted

End: 141 - 1970 (+1829)

Will: 149 - 1583 (+1434)

fully geared (and buffed)

End: 689 - 2758 (+2069)

Will: 582 - 2138 (+1556)

the difference of the boost between fully geared and naked is minimal i have 400% more stat with gear (compared to naked) and the boost is 10% more (but could be because of some buff) so i would stay the boost is close to be a constant to add to your gear value

+1900/2000 (end)

+1500 (main stat)

This is more or less all u need to know try to fill all ur gear spot as soon as you can! Expertise make the real difference and each empty space in ur gear is -38/28 expt. (no matter if white/green/blue/purple... a white gear will always give +38/+28 as long as is not empty!)

If you have decent gear for your level the gap wont be too bad overall of course you will still lose easily lvl 14 vs a lvl 28 as he probably invested a lot more skill point and have better abilities! he will have a 5%-10% better stats overall but is not so bad i see lvl 14 doing pretty good even because lvl 25-29 usually ignore a lvl 14 more then a lvl 20-25

Edited by Pekish

I learned through experience more than anything, there is very little info on the forums that I did not previously know or figure out. Also, what kind of "professional" even bothers to run full-time full scale premades in the low level bracket? grant you some groups may form while leveling to just be with a familiar group, but seriously dude, "only pvp players trade this info among themselves"!? What I learned back before I even regularly started visiting the forums was from experience and from whatever people said at fleet. I asked questions, they answered nicely, nothing was being hidden from me, and it really helped me out back when I started pvping. Point is, NOTHING beats experience when it comes to learning pvp.

Edited by Sangrar

ps remember

a) u can make a matrix datacute at 15 it doesn't matter the stats just do it! is +38 expertise even if totally wrong stats!

b) u can buy earpiece in the auction house even if green just buy the lowest lvl possible +38 expertise

c) you can buy a relix in the AH as well i think at lvl (19?)

d) first implant u will find are lvl 21

e) head piece u can buy the one that u can way at lvl 10 from the cartel (or AH) < this may be more expensive

i don't know what other info u may need

Yeah, the critical piece that you are missing is bolster. Look at your health, endurance, aim, etc. outside of a warzone, then look at them again inside the warzone. You'll notice that your stats get "bolstered" quite massively. You should have around 27K health inside a warzone, 2K+ main stat (e.g. aim) if you are a dps, and around 1900 expertise. So, even though somebody hits you for 5K, that's less than 20% of your total health, and that was a crit - won't happen every time.

The brackets are actually quite fair, in my opinion. It's a fine balance between dividing up based on levels and keeping few enough brackets such that queue wait times are minimized. Depending on the class, you can certainly be at a disadvantage if you are at the low end of the bracket due to lacking certain key abilities, but like I said - it's a balance, and I think that the balance is about as good as it's going to get.

Here are some tips:

1) Make sure that you have something in every slot (including implants and relics, head piece, etc.). Due to the way bolster works, if a given slot is empty, that slot will not bolster very well, which will result in lower overall stats in a warzone. Stuff that you get from PVE leveling works great, even cheap greens off the GTN bolster rather well.

2) Learn the maps and objectives. Focus on the objectives more than killing / surviving.

3) Learn other classes and their strengths / weaknesses. Learn to use your own class' strengths to your advantage and minimize your weaknesses.

4) Don't worry too much about dying or even losing in pvp. That's all just part of the game - win some, lose some...win some big, lose some big. Keep at it and eventually you will figure out how some people kill you so fast or tank so well, etc. Then you will be able to do the same. ;)

Hope that helps!

Edited by teclado

You should really thank your lucky stars. In the early days it was 10-49 only and lvl 50. Unlike games like Guild Wars 2, which gives you ALL the abilities to pvp, you have to grind your way. The idea is to give you an idea of how pvp works, learn how to defend, attack guard - the kind of stuff to stop people becoming a bad in 55 pvp.

You won't hit as hard as you did at lvl 10 till you hit 55. You may not have a lot of abilities as a lvl say 29 but the ones you do have hit harder because of it. 10-29 is pretty fair tho not everyone will have all the CCs yet. In my experience lvl 30 to about 38 is the hardest. It's like you are all kinds of squish. If they did anything for pvp I'd say bolster that lvl range for people on the 30-54 bracket.

My main is shadowlands. Get with Xiang-zhai this afternoon or whenever you see me on and I will help you and your friend.

You should really thank your lucky stars. In the early days it was 10-49 only and lvl 50. Unlike games like Guild Wars 2, which gives you ALL the abilities to pvp, you have to grind your way. The idea is to give you an idea of how pvp works, learn how to defend, attack guard - the kind of stuff to stop people becoming a bad in 55 pvp.

Don't forget that it used to be 10-50 for a time as well.

I just had a round with 3 DPS' vs a well rounded team of 4. That's not balanced, they walked right over the top of us and without support characters and buffs, we never had any hope. Not to mention 3 vs 4 :/

with all these posts explaining bolster here ...remember the new station on the Gav Daragon called the bolsterizer...it essentially gives you a "buff" that when you hit "c" by default will show you your bolstered stats. if anyone is curious what bolster does for you with your current gear set up. this is the place to go :)

I just had a round with 3 DPS' vs a well rounded team of 4. That's not balanced, they walked right over the top of us and without support characters and buffs, we never had any hope. Not to mention 3 vs 4 :/

So you got steam rolled by a team with less players than yours? Impressive.