The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I've had quite a few....

I'll start with one not in a FP but in a Heroic area on DK a few months ago. My first Sorc I created to heal and I found it easy to do most of the heroics with just me and Khem. So I'm doing the H2 fine by myself but someone decides to follow me while I'm killing and 'help' me. So I invite him since I figure he is on the same mission. He starts running off on his own and dying in the middle of me fighting mobs. Myself meanwhile, I'm getting the bonus done despite him dying and go to the console to spawn the Champion boss and he decides to come over and 'help'. (I whispered him a few times to see where he was with the bonus but he didn't respond). While he is "helping" he aggros another mob and brings him over to my area as I'm fighting. We wipe. I stay there and rez and he runs off again. I summon the boss again and this time beat him. I go to where he is fighting to see if he needs help and he's summoned the boss with his healer but is just dying. I tell him I can heal him but moments later he dies and quits the group lol. Fun stuff.

Of course, I've had random people including a "tank" with cunning gear on in Karragas Palace SM. He was F2P btw with horrible gear on. When he needed on a Cunning item, he said he needed to improve his tech abilities :rak_02::rak_02::rak_02: Oh rly?? A Jedi Knight with tech abilities.

Even had a Commando healer in a guild I was in once who happened to be in the pug I was in for LI. I kept saying, after the 4th or so wipe, drop an AOE heal on me as soon as the fight with the droid starts. He ignores me and I get no heals until right before I die lol. I whispered to the other guys in the group and apologized for all the issues and dropped group. Soon as I dropped group he logged off and I think he is specced as a DPS now.

1- I've seen many people, mostly at low level fps, wearing wrong gear (gunslinger in willpower gear, guardian with aim gear etc...).

2- I've seen a level 22 trooper. I nicely asked him why he didn't choose his AC yet, he replied he didn't know it existed.

3- Pre 2.0 in False Emperor HM, seen a gunslinger in level 36-38 gear. At first I thought he was one other fresh level 50 with very low HP, but after the first boss enraged and wiped us, I checked his gear and saw the reality. We advised him to buy blue gear from GTN which is much better than his current one, then kicked him from the group because there was no other solution.

4- Saw a melee Sage in Esseles HM (that is level 50). He was only using his 2 basic melee attacks and nothing else. We wiped at the first mini boss 2 times in a row, told him to stop acting like a melee dps, wiped again, kicked him.

I hate people like this. :mad:

It's very disrespectful to your group members.

I once had a group for athiss, where nobody (except for me) wrote a thing other than hi (the tank didn't even write that) at the start, it was athiss sm and the tank was ninjalooting everything, after 5 tries to get a reaction from them, I had to leave.

I'm DPS spec jugg but I queue as tank all the time in HM FP's if I want a quick pop

Nothing wrong with doing it ^^

Edited by xOxDarkyxOx

I'm DPS spec jugg but I queue as tank all the time in HM FP's if I want a quick pop

...well, can you actually tank with your DPS spec? If so, more power to you, but I have a feeling the rest of your group is struggling more than they would have to because you don't feel like waiting. Most likely, you only finish the FP, because the others are compensating for you. Don't you think there's a reason why tanking is its own skill tree?

...well, can you actually tank with your DPS spec? If so, more power to you, but I have a feeling the rest of your group is struggling more than they would have to because you don't feel like waiting. Most likely, you only finish the FP, because the others are compensating for you. Don't you think there's a reason why tanking is its own skill tree?

Nope, no problems with tanking at all. I know what i'm doing and healer never has complained before. I even tank guild ops runs. Campaign gear + some black market btw.

There is no major issue with tanking as a dps spec if you can hold agro.

P.S. HM FP's are incredibly easy to tank.

Nope, no problems with tanking at all. I know what i'm doing and healer never has complained before. I even tank guild ops runs. Campaign gear + some black market btw.

Well, if you can actually hold aggro, as I said, more power to you. It does seem like the person you quoted was talking about someone who couldn't tank properly with their DPS spec, though. Stands to reason that people might not even notice that you're not spec'd as a tank if no issues arise ;)

The group that sticks in my mind was a couple of weeks ago on an Athiss run. I was on my Combat Medic Commando, we had a Guardian Tank, a Gunslinger, and a DPS Sage. The Tank didn't know what a Shield was for, what Soresu Form did, or how to use Guard. The Sage used Force Lift at the start of fights, and then attacked the target he'd lifted. When they started attacking him he'd stop doing damage and spend his time healing himself. The Gunslinger was extremely competent by contrast, but he didn't know any of the Boss fights and preferred to find out what to do by trying things and seeing what worked.

And on the subject of queueing as something you aren't, if you can do the job then I'm fine with it. The DPS Guardian who claims they can Tank, and then ignores evry mob except the one they're whacking, not so much. Though I also have to say, the DPS Merc and Sorceror who got into two of my Operative's groups as healers despite having no points at all in their healing tree or any intention of using healing except on themslelves - you are very lucky that I can field respec and was willing to, because both times the Tank was rightly annoyed.

I don't believe this for one moment. Juggs/Guardians lose aggro ALL. The. Time. I imagine it would be worse not being specced into Tank spec to get the abilities that actually hold aggro or being in a form that generates threat. You would have to be in Soresu form to better generate threat and would need a shield. You also lose out on tankiness being in the wrong tree unless it is a hybrid spec.

I had a Guardian tank who caused us to wipe twice because he was in the wrong spec with the wrong stance on. I told him so (I was healing) and when he failed to listen I removed myself from the group. And I'm not saying this as someone who doesn't have a Guardian Tank. I have two. I switch back and forth all the time. But I've also queued with Guardians and threat management for them even in 2.0 is horrible.

And on the subject of queueing as something you aren't, if you can do the job then I'm fine with it. The DPS Guardian who claims they can Tank, and then ignores evry mob except the one they're whacking, not so much.
This is my only issue as well.

I had a Directive 7 run last night with a Sentinel who was heavily over-geared for it and kept running 1-2 groups ahead and attacking without the tank.

But Sentinels are Sentinels and despite his gear he would have died — a lot — if I didn't catch up and keep him healed, since he dropped like a stone once his CDs expired. He probably kept doing it because he figured out I was gamely keeping up and making him immortal.

That would be fine (Group Finder has forced me to be adept at acrobatically running between 3 different people keeping heals up :p), except he tunnel-visioned one mob at a time. So every time I healed his damn butt, all the rest of the pack he pulled turned and started eating me alive while he merrily kept tunneling his chosen droid.

So, my perspective when healing: I don't really care what you do as long as I can keep up with it in resources / GCDs, but if you're going to bend the rules, go Lone Ranger, or be reckless — at least keep aggro off me while I spam-heal you into a substitute tank. Because healer-tanking while also keeping everyone else alive sucks. :(

The Sage used Force Lift at the start of fights, and then attacked the target he'd lifted.
lol. That one always perplexes me. I encounter a lot of Assassin / Shadow tanks who open pulls by Whirlwind / Force Lifting one target and then running in and hitting it.

Do people not read their tooltips at all? :confused:

Edited by SW_display_name

Do you:

1. Switch to Soresu.

2. Put a shield in your offhand.

3. Use taunts.

If not, you're NOT being a tank.

I had a HM Maelstrom a few days ago where I was assigned to healer My normal role) And someone I knew in game was assigned to the tank, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. The problem arose when we soon found both "DPS" Were incredibly under geared an not dps. One was a healer, the other was a tank (With a few bits of cunning, supposedly to cunningly pass as a dps.) After we found this out, I said to the healer I would respec to dps since I was incredibly over geared for it and my friend told the dps/tank that he would respec dps and told this guy to switch out of Soresu form. Naturally, we died on the next boss as the dps/tank killed in an instant because the new healer refused to heal anymore (We knew he was specced heals as we saw him using salvation and what not before I said i'd respec) after this both the dps/tank and the new healer decided to abuse me for not healing (It was very clear in chat, what i'd said) and abuse my friend for not keeping aggro (It was very clear in chat what he'd said) After that we promptly /ignore'd them, left the fp and informed our guilds to /ignore them to.

there is more to being a tank then holding aggro, you are making your healer work extra hard because of the mitigation that you are losing out on.

So, uh.

Ran a 55 HM FP on my sentinel yesterday and ran into an obviously newly 55 sentinel as the other DPS. He refused to put on a saber form for the entire run and consistently used Transcendence on cooldown.

The bonus boss in Hammer Station enraged on us at 6%. He never dispatched the entire fight, either. :(

But it was funny. I got to see just how much dps I could squeeze out of myself in a tight enrage situation. :D

Ran a 55 HM FP on my sentinel yesterday and ran into an obviously newly 55 sentinel as the other DPS. He refused to put on a saber form for the entire run and consistently used Transcendence on cooldown.
Transcendence on cooldown always bewilders me, just like Shadows who open fights with Force Lift. Again: do people not read their tooltips, ever? :confused:

I mean I'd estimate at least 30-40% of the Marauders/Sentinels I see in Group Finder put up Transcendence every time they hit 30 Centering. I wonder if they just see a button light up and hit it, without understand why it's lighting up or what it's costing them in damage output.

Oh well. At least it's sort-of fun to have high uptime on running fast. :)

Transcendence on cooldown always bewilders me, just like Shadows who open fights with Force Lift. Again: do people not read their tooltips, ever? :confused:

I mean I'd estimate at least 30-40% of the Marauders/Sentinels I see in Group Finder put up Transcendence every time they hit 30 Centering. I wonder if they just see a button light up and hit it, without understand why it's lighting up or what it's costing them in damage output.

Oh well. At least it's sort-of fun to have high uptime on running fast. :)

I was pretty sure he was combat spec at one point because he had the fast transcendence. And then he never used dispatch ever so I was pretty confused.

From before 2.0... But still fits the topic. I was on my sin tank in column/BH gear, joined the pug for directive 7. We didnt even started to fight, when jjugg DPS started yellin at me, that he should tank, because he wears heavy armor and cloth wearers can't properly tank. I tried to explain to him, that sins are decent tanks too, but then the rest of the group was also saying, that they want "real tank". Well, I left before vote kick, but still that makes me wonder, why the hell they were so vocal about sin tanking - as I know that some of my guild OPS tanks are sins too.

Well, I left before vote kick, but still that makes me wonder, why the hell they were so vocal about sin tanking - as I know that some of my guild OPS tanks are sins too.
Sin tanks are fine, but ignorant people also tend to be loud people for some reason.

In the opposite direction, I had a Sin in Deception spec queued as Damage get angry at me for being a Powertech Tank in The Foundry SM. Their argument was that I was level 36, and they were level 40, therefore I should not be Tank despite Group Finder making me Tank and them being assigned Damage.

After calling me various expletive-filled names, they stated that "Any responsible person lets the highest level person tank because I am stronger", threw up Dark Charge, and began running ahead pulling things while stressing the healer out with massive health spikes.

Then, they died within 10 seconds on HK-47 because they didn't gap-close to avoid Powerful Blast, so I tanked the rest of the fight without dipping below 90% health. After being rezzed, they silently switched to Surging Charge. :p

2 recent ones I can think of;

55 HM Directive 7.

Assassin queued as DPS, he was using Darkness tree (tank) with Lightning Charge (DPS). Was painful to watch him taunting mobs aswell.

EV Nightmare.

52 Sorcerer joins as healer. Sorcerer hadn't done EV before, that was already a bit of a pain but we dealt with it. Then, first boss when the rockets came he used his Force Barrier instead of healing. I continued to watch him throughout the fight whilst still doing my job, he barely threw any heals. Merc healer pulled is through eventually. I shrugged it off until we wiped a few times on Gharj. I asked him why he wasn't using any AoE heals only to be shocked by the response "I don't have it I'm using Madness skills".

That was when I felt like meeting my face and the table.

Edited by Jayshames

Had a fun one recently. I'm healing HM Mandalorian Raiders and everyone is really well geared (all 4 of us over 30k health etc). We get to the last boss and one of the dps says to focus down the near turret first. Fair enough. The other dps uses aoe and we wipe. Okay, first dps and I make the "don't hit the boss" situation more explicit, though how you get that well geared without figuring that out is unclear.

Next, both dps and the tank get tunnel vision and only hit the near turret. Tank doesn't touch the far turret. I end up tanking the far turret in each corner. I wasn't quite ready for that at the first corner and die, but get a rez. At great length I heal myself through each other corner and keep everyone else up as well.

After the fight, I politely whisper to the tank that he should hit the other turret some too. He tells me he "taunted on cool down" and "knows how to taunt." Then he promptly ignores me. I can only imagine he was taunting the turret he was hitting on cool down and thought his single target taunt was an aoe taunt too. Didn't get to explain that part to him. Oh well!

Yesterday I joined, as dps, collicoid (normal mode, if there's a HM, i don't know) in progress. The group had just arrived at the puzzle gates. The first droid decides to push the other dps and the healer of the edge so only the tank and I were fighting it.

The tank and I are both shadows and I was slightly higher than he was.

So we're hitting the droid and i notice that the tank is having huge trouble with keeping agro, so i use some normal attacks. And this kept on going the entire fight. I got curious and guess what, he used a dps stand.

Instead of kicking him, the other dps specced tank and we continued.

(more people got pushed from the edges, I can't help laughing when that happens xD)

Then we arrived at the arena with those 2 doglion things. We decided to nuke the left one first and then hit the right one and the new tank was about to hit the left one. The shadow 'tank' decided that he had a tank role and attacked the right one instead. We just watched him die :)

After that he raged and we kicked him anyway.

Had another dps queing as tank and he mentioned this in the beginning of the flashpoint. He said that queing as dps takes to long...... This must be one of the more annyoing things for a healer.

Queued up for a 55 hm earlier with 2 guild members (1 was tanking, 1 healing, so we pugged in a dps through group finder). Now, the first several fights went fine, nothing unusual at all. Then, we got to the bonus boss, and the randomed in sorc (who had been dpsing up to this point) suddenly stopped doing any dps, and only spammed dark heal and the occassional dark infusion. At this point our healer tells him to knock it off and start attacking again, and the sorc ignores him. Around 20% of the boss's health, he used consumption a few times and then threw up force barrier for the duration.

I...still don't know what he was thinking. :confused:

I have dropped groups for the dps doing this. I find it highly insulting. I'm either the tank all the way through it I'm not. I refuse to run with DPS who only let me fulfill my role when they deem it necessary. I will not be the meat shield you only pull out for the boss fights.

I generally heal. The only, ONLY time I will pull before a tank is if A) I am at full force, B) the tank is at full health, and C) I have said "go" at least five or six times. Then, and only then will I pull.

Edited by CyberTronX

First story:

We plan on doing RR with some friends, we have 2 dps and a healer. We queue but don't get a tank, and then see a tank standing at the entrance and invite him, he joins and we start. I really don't know how to describe his tanking, but it was very bad. We wiped a lot of times. He doesn't know what CC is, we mark and CC someone he attacks that target right away. We even tried to "trick" him and marking a target and then CCing another, but that didn't work. He doesn't write. We somehow manage to get to the last boss, where i found out that he has the same native as i do and doesn't speak English. So I ask him if he knows tactics. His answer is something like this: "Of course I know, I even figured out how you could kill the Coruscant WB with 2 people!". Okay, whatever, we start the fight, turns out he doesn't know tactics, but we still manage to kill the boss. After battle he says that we were slowing him down and that he already soloed RR when at level 38. :rak_02:

Second story:

Joined a PUG SaV SM as healer, turns out it's mostly a guild run. We're at 4th boss, the city infiltration. They were on TS, I asked them if they knew what to do, they say yes, except one dps, who is a "noob". Okay, so I get assigned with that one dps for the green group. I asked if they explained everything to him and that we'll shoot green group from the ground to not aggro that patrol droid? They say yes sure. So we start the fight. What happens is this: that dps guy rushes into the city, ignores the patrol droids completely (aggros all of them on the way) and starts attacking the green group while I'm not even there. He dies before I can get to him and heal him, we wipe. Okay, maybe better luck next time? No. On the next try that dude does EXACTLY the same thing and we wipe again. I then asked if they really explained everything to him, and they say yes, but he is a "noob". We didn't give it another shot, cause they said it was sleep time.

And I got some experiences with people who didn't speak English and didn't know tactics. I was once assigned with a sent dps on the green group (SaV PUG again), who had no idea what to do. This is what happened: we get to the green group no problem. I bubble both of us, and wait. Nothing happens. I tell him to start attacking, nothing. Patrol droid comes, I CC him. (And BTW he wasn't afk, cause he was moving!) Still nothing. I even marked the target for him, but nothing. And what happens when he finally decides to attack them? The CC wears of the patrol...

Also doing a PUG for TfB SM is always fun at last boss. You ask people if they know what to do, and everyone says they do. So the tentacle phase goes okay, then we get sucked into Mario land, and as a healer I'm standing on the top platforms and see everyone. It's sometimes hilarious to see some dps, who are confused and have no idea what to do. They usually just run around, follow the tank or stay with me.