Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A question about a common tactic in huttball matches

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
A question about a common tactic in huttball matches

Akabelleth
01.27.2019 , 06:29 PM | #1
To all and sundry,

I am inquiring about both general opinion as well as tactics to deal with the end zone team spam that seems to be far too common lately. It is frustrating to be a non-stealth class attempting to get back into the match without burning escapes and other dcd's just to avoid being mobbed at your own side of the map. Also given that you now die if you hold the hutt ball too long, could it be possible to do the same thing to opposing players who loiter in the other teams goal area? Curious as to the ideas and especially tactics to counter this behavior.

Seterade
01.27.2019 , 07:00 PM | #2
force push, vg/pt pull, overload, save breaker, merc kb, pretty much any kb. only one who cant do anything is maras... and good ops, because they dont take kb quick shot unless their trolling. one last thing, if you soft cc the stlth before he catchs it... he doesnt. he doesnt catch it while soft ccd

Banderal
01.27.2019 , 07:04 PM | #3
I'm not sure what you mean by end-zone spam. You mean like there is 1/2 their team in your own EZ, waiting for you to spawn, and then mobbing you and killing you and sending you back to spawn? That sounds like what you are talking about, but as far as it being common, I have to say I have NEVER seen that happen. I've seen a stealth or two who will mezz a poor hapless player if necessary to get her on her own, and then gank them over and over - but even that I haven't seen in a long time.

In any event, if you are having trouble getting away from your own spawn area, and it's in the original HB, there are little known side "tunnels" you can go through. I can't remember if they are right off the spawn platform, or off the EZ platform. If I manage to get a regular HB anytime soon I'll refresh my memory as to where they actually are.

Otherwise, the best way to get them out of your own EZ is for your team to get control of the ball. Unfortunately, not something you can control. Especially if you are being focused as soon as you drop down from spawn. Oh, and unless of course the other team is just there to deathmatch really. In which case, they aren't going to care about the ball.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Banderal
01.27.2019 , 07:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
In any event, if you are having trouble getting away from your own spawn area, and it's in the original HB, there are little known side "tunnels" you can go through. I can't remember if they are right off the spawn platform, or off the EZ platform. If I manage to get a regular HB anytime soon I'll refresh my memory as to where they actually are.
Ok, well thanks to all-huttball-all-the-time that we seem to have now, I got one the very next match.

It turns out the side tunnels are ON the spawn platform. So when the force field opens, instead of running forward and dropping down, you can instead turn right or left, and it will lead to a wall you can run around. Then you can run down the edge of the map, and it will come out sort of behind the big dumpster things that are along the outer walls near mid. So you can use them to completely skip the entire EZ area if you want to.

The Vandin map has those air boost things before you drop down, so if you are talking that map you can still skip the EZ spammers. And, of course, Quesh you can go off the side and drop straight down to the bottom if you are really desperate.

If you are looking for how to stop them from scoring - the other post above mine has some ideas. Although, I still say the best strategy in that case is to just run past them, let them score, and get to mid and get the ball.

KittyKat_Karrot
01.28.2019 , 12:28 PM | #5
If the other team is camping your spawn area, kill them. If you can't and they keep killing you, they're better at pvp than your team and deserve to win

limenutpen
01.28.2019 , 12:49 PM | #6
I have the agree with the original poster. There has to be some kind of offside rule, after a certain time. It is way a big advantage for stealthy classes. Just as leap is removed something needs to be done about this.
Nutpen: Sage, Lim'suno: Scoundrel, Lei'Suno: Commando, Color-full: Sentinel
Los'suno: Assasin, Diopen: Juggernaut, Grandblu: Powertech, Brontolon: Sniper

Majspuffen
01.29.2019 , 01:30 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
force push, vg/pt pull, overload, save breaker, merc kb, pretty much any kb. only one who cant do anything is maras... and good ops, because they dont take kb quick shot unless their trolling. one last thing, if you soft cc the stlth before he catchs it... he doesnt. he doesnt catch it while soft ccd
In general, if the enemy team is going into the pit rather than traversing the platforms it usually means they have someone at, or that someone is on the way to, your goal line. Any class can deal with this but certain classes are better than others. Like in any other Warzone, the best counter to stealth is stealth. A Shadow can push the target off the ledge when the target leaves stealth and an Operative can stun them and steal the ball. However, any class can steal the ball so long as they have their stun available, but it's risky. If the ball carrier has a leap ability or teleport, they won't have to pass the ball. They'll use you to get to the goal line instead. If you have a leap ability yourself, stand at a distance so you're not at risk of giving the enemy an easy score, and then leap on the target when they leave stealth. Specifically, you should wait with the leap until you see the blue ground indicator around the target. That will usually get you the ball. If you can't find a way to stop them, focus on controlling the center and get the next ball.

Quote: Originally Posted by limenutpen View Post
I have the agree with the original poster. There has to be some kind of offside rule, after a certain time. It is way a big advantage for stealthy classes. Just as leap is removed something needs to be done about this.
I think the stealth classes should have this advantage. However, combined with also being good (Shadow/Assassin) and, arguably, the best (Scoundrel/Operative) ball carriers, they might just be a bit overpowered for this WZ. The original Huttball map was not designed for the current class balance, so perhaps a change to the map is required (by introducing a stealth penalty, of sorts).

Stellarcrusade
01.29.2019 , 11:08 AM | #8
Even if it is a little bit L2P about clearing the end-zone against spawn camping, the bigger issue is simply a couple of stealths sitting there waiting to go visible and catch a ball. The end-zone should be a non-stealth zone, its a big joke currently the way it is. One of the reasons many just exit when they queue a buttball.

Storm-Cutter
01.30.2019 , 07:23 AM | #9
TBH there isn't much point in walkways and levels and traps at each end, since the first pickup passes back to enable a stealth to get to the End Zone. Then it's pass or run into pit, pass up and score, then rinse and repeat.

Once a stealth is in the EZ, it can be hard for a lone defender to winkle them out, especially if the rest of the team is happily death-matching in the centre while you eat stuns and try to find a window to CC/ KB the stealther.

But the maps will never change. Self-sufficiency is here to stay, so many stun immunities, breakers, resistances, movement boosts and DCDs make a lot of Huttballs a slog.

Shame, coz in it's purest essence, it's a great WZ.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Banderal
01.30.2019 , 09:22 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
TBH there isn't much point in walkways and levels and traps at each end, since the first pickup passes back to enable a stealth to get to the End Zone. Then it's pass or run into pit, pass up and score, then rinse and repeat.
It's the same for every HB map, although maybe that's what you meant.

Just completed a Vandin where we did EXACTLY this strategy, and won 6 to zip in I think about 14.5 seconds (ok, maybe it was a couple minutes ). Quesh you can pass directly from the bottom up to the top platform, where a waiting-in-stealther can catch it and zip into the EZ. I think it's about the same level of difficulty in stopping any of those setups, which is why, as I said at first, I still think a good strategy is to ignore it, and go get the ball. I've also had plenty of games where the loan stealther on our side stayed in the enemy EZ the whole time doing nothing, because we couldn't get the ball.