64 bit client

Facadas

Hello,

Maybe this has been suggested already i didn't find it on search so here it goes!

Are there any plans for a 64 bit client? The reason why i'm asking this is, SWTOR requires a huge amount of RAM (more then what a 32 bit application may use), and that's why there is always 2 processes running.

What could be the advantages?

- People with 64 bit Operating Systems (i'm one of them), could use their full memory without additional tricks!

- The game it self would be faster, since it wouldn't need those 2 process and underling communication mechanisms.

With the growing demands of games, 64 bit clients must be used whenever possible! Failing to do so is putting a serious stop to permanence and scalability of a game (or any other application).

Now i know this is no small thing, depending on how you do it, it can be hard or very hard so that's why i asked if this is even being considered (it should though).

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam Hardware Survey

I know the Steam hardware survey is a little biased towards higher end machines, after all anybody who has Steam installed probably has an above average PC to play games, but it does show an interesting trend.

Windows 7 64 has far outsold 32 by a factor of 4:1. In fact there are more instances of 64 bit OS' than 32 now.

I'm just pointing this out to suggest that 64bit exes are the future, and there would be a significant number of people who would benefit from this.

I was hopping this would get a response from a CM but guess not.

I seriously hope this is in their minds cause 32bits is a thing of the past.

And like i said before, the hardness of doing this greatly depends on how the original code is done, not going to discuss that part here seriously not worth it :)

Yes please. I have 8GB RAM. More than 1/2 is doing nothing! And support multi threading so we don't need two swtor.exe processes!

Lol dude no game can run without multi-threading xD

Those 2 processes exists so the game can use more then the standard 3GB a 32bit application can use, but by doing something like these, you basically put a knife into performance (cause inter process communication is not that simple).

Maybe they should fix the current memory leaks on those two processes first ;)

However I am up for a 64bit native client option. Anything having to run in 'compatibility mode' is never a good thing. Technology wise, recompiling a new client to a 64bit application, should not be a year-long endeavor. Simply baffled how it wasn't done during the years of beta when Win 7 came out and has proven itself.

Oh wells!

Yes please. I have 8GB RAM. More than 1/2 is doing nothing! And support multi threading so we don't need two swtor.exe processes!

yeah, one of which repeatedly crashes for me when it takes up more than 3GB of ram (happens only on Ilum). I know many people are having this problem too.