Area Transition Issues

EricMusco

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to why there wasn't an immediate rollback done.

Have we ever actually seen an intentional rollback? I've actually wondered if that's even an option once they've rolled a patch, or if we basically have to forge ahead after every patch. (Serious question.) I mean, I'm sure they always have the option to restore from a complete backup, but then people lose everything they did, which makes that less of an option the longer you go. I'm wondering if they can rollback an update without losing progress.

Historically rollbacks are considered an absolute worst case scenario. You don't want to do them unless you've completely broke the game in an unrecoverable manner. This bug, as annoying as it is, hasn't caused permanent damage yet. No one has lost characters or guilds or anything like that. It probably just doesn't rise to the level of needing a rollback.

Have we ever actually seen an intentional rollback? I've actually wondered if that's even an option once they've rolled a patch, or if we basically have to forge ahead after every patch. (Serious question.) I mean, I'm sure they always have the option to restore from a complete backup, but then people lose everything they did, which makes that less of an option the longer you go. I'm wondering if they can rollback an update without losing progress.

Historically rollbacks are considered an absolute worst case scenario. You don't want to do them unless you've completely broke the game in an unrecoverable manner. This bug, as annoying as it is, hasn't caused permanent damage yet. No one has lost characters or guilds or anything like that. It probably just doesn't rise to the level of needing a rollback.

I do remember this one...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5763351&postcount=54

I was actually walking on Alderaan with my Sorcerer and didn't even notice.

Apparently their confidence was misplaced.

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the SWtOR servers, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the playerbase to know the location of the login servers. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the login deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the SWtOR servers, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the playerbase to know the location of the login servers. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the login deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

You gain an additional 100+ boost to your main stat by mentioning Lord Jadus alone but on the other hand, you loose 250+ on your main stat by mixing it with the ramblings of an inane and crazy old man.

A major overhaul is in order. Get to it, please.

Your overconfidence is your weakness. You've failed, your highness. I am a customer, like my father before me.

I do remember this one...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5763351&postcount=54

I was actually walking on Alderaan with my Sorcerer and didn't even notice.

Yeah, I know there have been a couple on a per server basis, but as far as I know they were never intended. They were instead recoveries from a drive failure or something equally catastrophic. I don't think we've ever seen a game wide rollback of a patch, though.

Your overconfidence is your weakness. You've failed, your highness. I am a customer, like my father before me.

Your father was a customer? Are you sure you're old enough to be playing this game mister? :p

Hey everyone,

We have identified a fix to the ongoing area transition/instancing and connectivity issues that players have been seeing since the release of Game Update 2.8. In order to alleviate these issues, we are going to be doing unscheduled maintenance tomorrow morning (Friday, June 13). During this maintenance, we are going to take the Group Finder Operation queue from 16-Player to 8-Player, as we have found that due to tech issues the servers do not perform well under the load caused by the 16-Player queue. Going forward, we are going to evaluate our options in regards to the Group Finder system to see what the best course of action to take is.

Thank you all for your continued patience while we get this resolved!

-Tait

Your father was a customer? Are you sure you're old enough to be playing this game mister? :p

I wish I weren't...although, I did get carded for buying pop-rocks Saturday. The cashier had the little ding go off and without thinking she asked for my ID...I looked at her and she looked at me and I finally said "Are you freaking serious?"...which seemed to wake her up from her coma and made her realize I was probably 'slightly' over the 12 yr age requirement ;)

Hey everyone,

We have identified a fix to the ongoing area transition/instancing and connectivity issues that players have been seeing since the release of Game Update 2.8. In order to alleviate these issues, we are going to be doing unscheduled maintenance tomorrow morning (Friday, June 13). During this maintenance, we are going to take the Group Finder Operation queue from 16-Player to 8-Player, as we have found that due to tech issues the servers do not perform well under the load caused by the 16-Player queue. Going forward, we are going to evaluate our options in regards to the Group Finder system to see what the best course of action to take is.

-Tait

Does this patch also address the issues like being removed from guilds, increased cooldowns on quick travel / fleet pass etc?

we are going to take the Group Finder Operation queue from 16-Player to 8-Player

-Tait

Wow Tait...that makes that entire part of the GF update worthless now. Players do 16man because they get better loot drops. This basically negates all your hard work.

I suggest a global LFG channel...far less work and more effective imo.

Hey everyone,

-Tait

That sucks. But at least that confirms that it was a stress issue which is much harder to catch in a test environment.

Wow Tait...that makes that entire part of the GF update worthless now. Players do 16man because they get better loot drops. This basically negates all your hard work.

I suggest a global LFG channel...far less work and more effective imo.

Agreed it sucks cause 16 Man is better.

Does this patch also address the issues like being removed from guilds, increased cooldowns on quick travel / fleet pass etc?

The Guild issues have the same root cause as the area transition issues, so they will be addressed by the fix.

The Legacy cooldown perks not applying properly are a separate issue, but also being addressed in the patch.

do you plan on making ANY comments to the Ops forum about how this bug caused NiM DP progression race to die, killing multiple guilds? Do you plan on even acknowledging how much 2.8 has hurt hardcore raiding? You said in a twitch stream that you love watching progression and you follow it closely, but you haven't so much as written one sentence for the Ops forum to talk about what happened. I'm not a SWTOR hater, or a troll. I love the game. But for you guys to not even hop in and say ANYTHING? Poor choice.

do you plan on making ANY comments to the Ops forum about how this bug caused NiM DP progression race to die, killing multiple guilds? Do you plan on even acknowledging how much 2.8 has hurt hardcore raiding? You said in a twitch stream that you love watching progression and you follow it closely, but you haven't so much as written one sentence for the Ops forum to talk about what happened. I'm not a SWTOR hater, or a troll. I love the game. But for you guys to not even hop in and say ANYTHING? Poor choice.

I haven't seen any evidence that any guilds were actually destroyed.

Every case that I saw in general chat if people waited a minute (and didn't freak out) they would get access back soon.

If they typed "/g anything" they would be popped back in 30 seconds later.

However if they were so impatient to start a new guild or join another one... who knows.

During this maintenance, we are going to take the Group Finder Operation queue from 16-Player to 8-Player

Hi Tait,

Is it just the group size you're reducing, or is it the rewards and the rolling ops schedule? i.e. are you rolling back to pre 2.8?

Thanks,

Giga

Anyone else have problems with "invisible walls"?

And no, it is not a graphic error from my side, because these walls may appear in places where they obviously shouldn't be, like in a door

That is a connection issue, you're loosing connection or getting server lag and so the client is preventing you from moving any further so that you can't get to place you shouldn't

It is just the group size that is being reduced.

Thanks Tait! To be honest, and probably incidentally, I think that may be better in the long run. Not sure if it was intended or not, but when I did S&V last night via group finder all the boss HP was at 8-man mode and it made it too quick and a little boring :confused: