Electronet vs. Mara

Stultophobe

Yes, naturally I'm super bad and need to l2p. I get it.

PvPing on Carnage Mara. Not too much trouble with most classes other than unkillable Juggs/Guardians 1v1. Then again, I'm super bad and good Maras just global Juggs all day long.

Anyway, can't find any decent answer to the question of how to counter Electronet other than to just give the netter his free kill. And if it were just once every few matches, fine. But I'm netted often and frequently and it's getting annoying. Net cd is 90 seconds and blowing my defensives (2-3min cds) is basically the only luck I've had in surviving thus far. Other two options seem to be stand still and die, or move and die. Utility points for cleanse are wasted since net disables those abilities.

Don't worry, I'll l2p eventually. This thread is me trying to l2p and not be bad.

If we are talking about regs, it depends alot on the situation (how many are focusing you, is a healer and/or tank backing you up, which DCD are available, does it matter for my teams success if I die now). But I usually a) break the net and force camo out (if 2+ attacking me) or b) if a melee is also on me I might pop undying rage, stand still and just bash the melee while waiting for the net to wear off. If the merc is alone attacking me I would probably break>camo>move towards merc>VT>gore>DB directly from stealth and then go from there. But I am no pro, just a tryhard ;)

In ranked you would need to be more careful when you use your breaker (not too early) cause you might just get stunned again by let´s say a PT and then watch helplessly as energy burst and heatseeker missiles detonate in your a**hole

PvPing on Carnage Mara. Not too much trouble with most classes other than unkillable Juggs/Guardians 1v1. Then again, I'm super bad and good Maras just global Juggs all day long.

Anyway, can't find any decent answer to the question of how to counter Electronet other than to just give the netter his free kill. And if it were just once every few matches, fine. But I'm netted often and frequently and it's getting annoying. Net cd is 90 seconds and blowing my defensives (2-3min cds) is basically the only luck I've had in surviving thus far. Other two options seem to be stand still and die, or move and die. Utility points for cleanse are wasted since net disables those abilities.

Don't worry, I'll l2p eventually. This thread is me trying to l2p and not be bad.

It's not just you or l2p. I play a Carnage Marauder as well. Getting netted sucks and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, just as it is also often the case with other stuns/mezzes. You blow your cc breakers to fast your going to regret it shortly because someone else is just gonna come along a few seconds later and stop you dead in your tracks again anyways.

All I can say is that Marauders suck in pvp. Sure we have great damage potential and we can top the wz damage chart sometimes but it doesn't change the fact that we are far too vulnerable to CCs and have very few ourselves to say nothing of the no self heals issue. They're just not designed well for the PVP enviornment that is rife with CCs and getting attacked by muliple opponents and AOE.

Also you dont want to blow all your DCDs for one thing if you don't absolutely have to, the CDs on most of them are too long.

There is only one way to play a marauder well in pvp and thats with a healer. Without that, you are going to die alot, often and quickly. DCDs will help to a degree, but let's face it, they aren't designed to handle being focused, being outnumbered, and aoed while stunned/slowed.

There's simply no way around it, if you don't have a healer your pretty much screwed. Netted, chain stunned, blinded, mezzed, slowed, it's pretty much all the same crap just in differing degrees. We just can't keep up with the amount of CCs that get thrown around. It totally sucks. I'm not saying you can't do some really good damage, you absolutely can, but without that healer, you better like respawning a lot.

I love Marauders and I PVP with mine but it can be extremely frustrating. If you ask me, they are the worst class anyone can pick to PVP. But, a pocket healer can make a lot of these concerns go away and make PVPing with a mara fun as hell.

Good luck.

All I can say is that Marauders suck in pvp.

I love Marauders and I PVP with mine but it can be extremely frustrating. If you ask me, they are the worst class anyone can pick to PVP.

Are you trolling? You can't be serious, mara is extremely good and viable in any pvp mode.

Yes it can be hard against multiple ranged in regs, but you shouldn't facetank them.

Edited by DerSchneider

Are you trolling? You can't be serious, mara is extremely good and viable in any pvp mode.

Yes it can be hard against multiple ranged in regs, but you shouldn't facetank them.

Maras just require a higher skill set to master. Some classes are relatively easy and others harder. Most people who find Maras hard to play haven't achieved the required skill set to play them well. They should probably play a Jugg instead and let the good Maras wreak havoc and run circles around them;)

As for Electro net? most of the previous replies are valid, but as always it's situational.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It's not just you or l2p. I play a Carnage Marauder as well. Getting netted sucks and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, just as it is also often the case with other stuns/mezzes. You blow your cc breakers to fast your going to regret it shortly because someone else is just gonna come along a few seconds later and stop you dead in your tracks again anyways.

All I can say is that Marauders suck in pvp. Sure we have great damage potential and we can top the wz damage chart sometimes but it doesn't change the fact that we are far too vulnerable to CCs and have very few ourselves to say nothing of the no self heals issue. They're just not designed well for the PVP enviornment that is rife with CCs and getting attacked by muliple opponents and AOE.

Also you dont want to blow all your DCDs for one thing if you don't absolutely have to, the CDs on most of them are too long.

There is only one way to play a marauder well in pvp and thats with a healer. Without that, you are going to die alot, often and quickly. DCDs will help to a degree, but let's face it, they aren't designed to handle being focused, being outnumbered, and aoed while stunned/slowed.

There's simply no way around it, if you don't have a healer your pretty much screwed. Netted, chain stunned, blinded, mezzed, slowed, it's pretty much all the same crap just in differing degrees. We just can't keep up with the amount of CCs that get thrown around. It totally sucks. I'm not saying you can't do some really good damage, you absolutely can, but without that healer, you better like respawning a lot.

I love Marauders and I PVP with mine but it can be extremely frustrating. If you ask me, they are the worst class anyone can pick to PVP. But, a pocket healer can make a lot of these concerns go away and make PVPing with a mara fun as hell.

Good luck.

Not sure. I often queue solo or no heals and can usually top damage while playing objectives, usually only die 1-3 times per match (without heals) unless team is very bad (or game decides to accurately reflect Pub class demographics by queuing 7/8 backpedaling bubble-warrior Sages together). Electronet is the only offensive ability for any class I can think of that I simply cannot counter in any effective way on Mara unless the circumstances -- as others have pointed out -- are just right (which may as well be the circumstantial odds of intelligent life arising in the universe).

I don't think Mara doesn't have enough stuns, snares/slows make up for it. Pretty sure Mara also has the most interrupts of any class (Camouflage can double as an interrupt). Could Mara use more surviveability? Maybe take 15-30 seconds off two primary defensives. Maybe not. Maybe introduce a passive where the Mara takes 1% less damage stacking to 5% when attacked. But I'm not really complaining about Mara surviveability, regardless.

Will recommend that early Utility point into Saber Ward. I can't even count how many times people have wasted their hard stun on me right off the bat, which is basically a death sentence in 1v1 (unless of course you have Electronet to compensate for the fact that you don't know how to kite).

(Edit: Mara doesn't have most interrupts.)

Edited by Stultophobe

I'll echo what others have said. If you are out in the open and get netted, it may be wise to use breaker and camo out. If you can LoS, do that and wait out the net. If there is another target you can hit in melee range, pop undying and wreck your nearby target. If you are out in the open and breaker is on cooldown, pop what DCD you have, do what you can before you die. It's ok to die as a mara; what matters is how much damage do you inflict on your way out.

Get on the The Harbinger if your on US. Get on The Red Eclipse if your EU. Contact/search/find certain players that can duel you while in Discord, Skype, TS, Vent, or etc (ideally). Or just find mercenary and juggernaut/guardian players to duel in general that are ideally experienced. You need to learn, and practice fighting the classes in duels. It will make fighting them in reg's easier. You will just know what to do.

You will want to learn to conserve your Predation, Leap and Mad Dash vs a ranged class with a good player behind it. Then its just going to come down to cd for cd. However if you practice duels you will learn cd for cd for fights, and what to do and what not to do, this will just make fighting players in reg's much easier. A experienced player is going to tell you everything you did wrong in a duel, and you will learn, then you just practice.

Edited by SVTCarnage

Get on the The Harbinger if your on US. Get on The Red Eclipse if your EU. Contact/search/find certain players that can duel you while in Discord, Skype, TS, Vent, or etc (ideally). Or just find mercenary and juggernaut/guardian players to duel in general that are ideally experienced. You need to learn, and practice fighting the classes in duels. It will make fighting them in reg's easier. You will just know what to do.

You will want to learn to conserve your Predation, Leap and Mad Dash vs a ranged class with a good player behind it. Then its just going to come down to cd for cd. However if you practice duels you will learn cd for cd for fights, and what to do and what not to do, this will just make fighting players in reg's much easier. A experienced player is going to tell you everything you did wrong in a duel, and you will learn, then you just practice.

lol thanks.

I was being sarcastic.

lol thanks.

I was being sarcastic.

Oh, your entire thread is you being sarcastic? Holy****, you got me for sure then, because I did not catch it. You seemed legit asking how to deal with Electronet as a Marauder. Pretty sure I took that you have trouble beating Juggernauts/Guardians as well as a Marauder.

Probably the best troll thread I have ever seen, because you totally fooled me. I want a refund on the time I spent writing my first reply, and this one.

Edited by SVTCarnage

@OP

You really should listen to this guy. You weren't trolling. I can feel your frustration in your words. I have also shared those frustrations at one time. There is absolutely no shame in asking for help. The last thing you'd want to do is act like you're above the advise.

Addiitonally, the advice he's giving happens to be spot on. I've made more personal progression dueling with voice comms than I ever did just trying to figure it out by myself.

Edited by Wimbleton

Oh, your entire thread is you being sarcastic? Holy****, you got me for sure then, because I did not catch it. You seemed legit asking how to deal with Electronet as a Marauder. Pretty sure I took that you have trouble beating Juggernauts/Guardians as well as a Marauder.

Probably the best troll thread I have ever seen, because you totally fooled me. I want a refund on the time I spent writing my first reply, and this one.

No, SVT. I appreciate your reply. I was referring to your specific quotation of one part of my original post. Yes, my comment is laced with some sarcasm. No, the main question of how best to deal with Electronet is genuine.

No, the main question of how best to deal with Electronet is genuine.

Bash a healer instead of a Merc. :D

I'm biased by the way, I've seen some exceptional Mara players in regs who give me a hard time on my Merc(s). Keep moving, keep using LoS, learn to interupt. Save your DCDs for the net, and make them use their DCDs (because they're weak as hell). Any decent Merc will try to maintain distance, keep closing it, keep using a slow on them, save your leap / mad dash for when they try to create a gap. Predation off the 30 stack of fury is useful for PvP when facing a lot of ranged players.

As always, situational.

@OP

You really should listen to this guy. You weren't trolling. I can feel your frustration in your words. I have also shared those frustrations at one time. There is absolutely no shame in asking for help. The last thing you'd want to do is act like you're above the advise.

Addiitonally, the advice he's giving happens to be spot on. I've made more personal progression dueling with voice comms than I ever did just trying to figure it out by myself.

Yes, I believe I stated in my original post that getting netted is frustrating/annoying because it is often impossible to counter effectively on Mara without wasting cds. I've been netting Maras/Sents in PvP on my Merc just to see what they do, and often they don't even seem aware that it's on them until they're dead. I see "good" Maras pop their defensives or cc break -> Camo ASAP if they can, or LoS if they can. Otherwise, without heals, it's my kill. I usually save my net for healers rather than wasting it on random Maras (unless they're killing our heals), I don't even use it 1v1 other than on jumpy DPS Sorcs.

The reason for sarcasm is that when people start these kinds of threads they're typically trolled for just "being bad" (and sometimes they are just bad, but that's besides the point). I'm not speaking from personal experience here, that's just my impression reading through the forums (and knowing how people operate on the Internet). Therefore, the tongue-in-cheek self-deprecation in my original post leaves the trolls with nothing to work with, as trolling is only effective on individuals who portray themselves as overly-serious and/or insecure.

See?

Bash a healer instead of a Merc. :D

I always bash heals first :rolleyes:

I don't Smash them anymore, though :( (the good ol' days)

And to clarify, I don't have problems with Mercs (other than net). They're a bit underpowered imo, at least 1v1. Only class I have any real issue with is Immortal "DPS" Jugg soaking up my burst.

Edited by Stultophobe

I always bash heals first :rolleyes:

I don't Smash them anymore, though :( (the good ol' days)

And to clarify, I don't have problems with Mercs (other than net). They're a bit underpowered imo, at least 1v1. Only class I have any real issue with is Immortal "DPS" Jugg soaking up my burst.

Hahah. This is great.

Yes, naturally you're super bad and need to l2p. You get it. (just a joke dude, dw)

Tbh, a good merc will win against a good mara 1v1 cause they have the right tools for it. But, ofc, there is a way to kill a not as good merc.

First, we need to look at what's the main strength of a merc in merc v mara duel. Range and off heals. You simply have to break when they mezz you to heal up and that's why you need to wait out the hard stun which they will use first. This is not really a problem, they won't kill you during the hardstun and any damage you soak up during it, you'll soak it up anyways at some point. I point this out cause I often see mara's break when I hardstun them and then can't break when i mezz and start to heal up.

Now.. the net's gonna happen after this, there's no way around it and since you already used your breaker, you need to use undying through it but not right away, let me explain. Now.. the net itself is not what kills a mara, but the knockback + net cause you can't close in on them and they land their burst on you. This is where your patience with the breaker earlier will pay off; see.. you'll be whitebarred and they can't knock you back. At this point, just stun them and when the stun wears off, pop undying. Ofc, if the merc is smart, they could rocket out and then net, but when they rocket out, you simply mad dash or leap to them and you are back at square one.

Oh yeah, you should use mad dash to negate at least one of their HSM+railshot combos (and you know exactly when that's gonna happen; after they use tracer for 3 times cause that builds up 5 stacks for railshot) so you probably can't afford to save mad dash for that rocket out i mentioned earlier, but very few mercs take the utility that prevents you from leaping after they rocket out so that's just a risk you have to take.

To recap; merc wins cause of mezz/offheal and range during net. To counter it, be patient through hardstun, break the mezz and prevent healing and then stun - undying during net.

Now.. with all that being said, a good merc will kill you even if you do all that perfectly simply cause of more offheals, comparable burst and okay defenses. But this will help against mercs that are not as good as you.

Hope this helps.

To recap; merc wins cause of mezz/offheal and range during net. To counter it, be patient through hardstun, break the mezz and prevent healing and then stun - undying during net.

Now.. with all that being said, a good merc will kill you even if you do all that perfectly simply cause of more offheals, comparable burst and okay defenses. But this will help against mercs that are not as good as you.

Ofc, I know all these tricks so I fight maras a bit differently. It just makes it easier, they'd die regardless. But you can expect most mercs to fight you like i described earlier.

Yes, naturally you're super bad and need to l2p. You get it. (just a joke dude, dw)

Tbh, a good merc will win against a good mara 1v1 cause they have the right tools for it. But, ofc, there is a way to kill a not as good merc.

First, we need to look at what's the main strength of a merc in merc v mara duel. Range and off heals. You simply have to break when they mezz you to heal up and that's why you need to wait out the hard stun which they will use first. This is not really a problem, they won't kill you during the hardstun and any damage you soak up during it, you'll soak it up anyways at some point. I point this out cause I often see mara's break when I hardstun them and then can't break when i mezz and start to heal up.

Now.. the net's gonna happen after this, there's no way around it and since you already used your breaker, you need to use undying through it but not right away, let me explain. Now.. the net itself is not what kills a mara, but the knockback + net cause you can't close in on them and they land their burst on you. This is where your patience with the breaker earlier will pay off; see.. you'll be whitebarred and they can't knock you back. At this point, just stun them and when the stun wears off, pop undying. Ofc, if the merc is smart, they could rocket out and then net, but when they rocket out, you simply mad dash or leap to them and you are back at square one.

Oh yeah, you should use mad dash to negate at least one of their HSM+railshot combos (and you know exactly when that's gonna happen; after they use tracer for 3 times cause that builds up 5 stacks for railshot) so you probably can't afford to save mad dash for that rocket out i mentioned earlier, but very few mercs take the utility that prevents you from leaping after they rocket out so that's just a risk you have to take.

Hope this helps.

Good reply.

Probably most applicable to duels, though.

Hope this helps.

As I've started to play my mara more again recently, I can say while I give the best merc I've seen on my server a hard time (can shred him if he lets me get too close lol) it's true that a good merc if they play it perfectly won't have much to worry about. Especially if they manage to burst you while netted and have their own DCDs ready. They also have the advantage of being able to stay in a pack (which will of course kill the mara who happens to have a deathwish), and deal damage from afar. So it's really a no - go situation there vs a good merc unless you have a guard and a healer.

Merc and immortal juggs (and of course conceal ops) are all an absolute pain to deal with. You're almost gaurenteed to lose any 1v1 vs them unless you play your cards perfectly, which is hard in a normal WZ situation, let alone a duel.

Good reply.

Probably most applicable to duels, though.

He actually took the time to hit on what your after on paper, undying rage is the answer for electronet on a cd for cd basis vs a merc. Duels is everything when it comes to class vs class, that's how you get good.

You can brake down any fight cd for cd.

Sorcerers vs Marauder

1. Predation for Force Push root, always assume they are spec'd for this.

3. Mad Dash for Phasewalk

4. Saber Ward and Intimidating Roar up after Force Barrier

5. Choke Polarity Shift

etc

etc

Its general rules, it will make you better in all aspects of PvP. Duels helps you class vs class. If your beating sorcerers as a Carnage Marauder (Carnage for sure..) and not following those guide lines the sorcerer isn't good. You also should try Annihilation. I would never duel a good merc or sorcerer as a Carnage marauder if I wanted to win the duel. Not that I am saying I like Anni more, Carnage is my favorite spec in the entire game, but I know what its good for, and what its just ok at in a comparison to Annihilation.

Edited by SVTCarnage