Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If not RNG ... then what are the options?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If not RNG ... then what are the options?

OlBuzzard
09.07.2019 , 11:46 AM | #1
I've posed this question a time or two and it seems that either it can not be answered or perhaps it's a matter of who is doing the asking.

I honestly don't care either way !!

There is one thing for certain. You can be rest assured that the development team is asking that question (or one similar).

So. I will ask again. If RNG is not the means of acquiring gear... then what method?

Additional grinding? man I hope not !!!!!

Pieces and parts behind "certain mobs as a drop" ? Still some form of RNG is involved (to a small degree).

What would replace RNG?

IMO.. a small amount as an added bonus would work. I personally agree that RNG as the total means of loot drop is more frustrating (at best) than it is anything else.

This is not a troll. I really am asking this from a point of genuine interest !!
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

DarthSpuds
09.07.2019 , 11:58 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
I've posed this question a time or two and it seems that either it can not be answered
Of course it can be answered, it WAS answered in the other big thread about 6.0 RNG Gearing.

Tokens: different difficulty content rewards more or less Tokens.

Trade In: Trade Tokens directly for the GEAR YOU WANT.

Simples.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

teclado
09.07.2019 , 12:03 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
So. I will ask again. If RNG is not the means of acquiring gear... then what method?
Are you new? Did you not play prior to 5.0? Go do a google search on the SWTOR 3.0 or 4.0 gearing system.

EDIT: Furthermore, have you not logged in to play the game as it is currently? I wasn't sure if you were a troll before, but now I'm certain. Not wasting my time with you anymore.

Darev
09.07.2019 , 12:14 PM | #4
This is what is on PTS right now.

RNG from Vendor "A" (paid with tech fragments)
RNG from Vendor "B" (paid with tech fragments)
NPC loot drops that are by nature supposed to be RNG
RNG boss loot drops of varying types/degrees of difficulty.

The only gearing system that isn't RNG is crafting, which has its own set of massive problems.

The patch yesterday made Vendor "A" not give out downgrades in gear as it did in it's first iteration.
Vendor "B" is the one where you get your set bonus gear...currently CAN give you downgrades due to RNG.

What I don't understand is they have a version in place, right now, with what's on live, that most people are pretty happy with.
If you want specific drops of specific levels, go do an ops boss and roll for the drop.
Don't have luck there? Spend UCs at a vendor and get your gear upgrade that way (takes longer, but it's 100% what you want).

There is no rational reason, that I've seen explained, to change it away from what we have.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

OlBuzzard
09.07.2019 , 12:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
Of course it can be answered, it WAS answered in the other big thread about 6.0 RNG Gearing.

Tokens: different difficulty content rewards more or less Tokens.

Trade In: Trade Tokens directly for the GEAR YOU WANT.

Simples.

All The Best
Please believe me when I tell you.. I get that. And for whatever it's worth I agree. The system should be simple. But, for whatever reason, it's not.

Use to back in the day:

A player could get whatever system of gear (adaptive) earn credits.. and pick out what mods we wanted ( or could afford) :

Green : Premium
Blue : Prototype
Purple : Artifact

As you said... we pretty much could actually build our characters as we wanted and place the appropriate mods where they were needed as well as had better control of the stats that our characters had.

NOW !! It's anybody's guess as to what stats will drop. Sooo we limp along with whatever we can get until POOF ! MAGIC !! we get that one long lost piece.

I agree with what you said.

If the dev team wants to RNG anything it MIGHT BE the pieces needed for complete BONUS SETS MAYBE !

BTW... just for the record. I wanted this to stick out like a sore thumb so it could NOT be missed. I know that you and several others have been working diligently at this for a while now !!

OlBuzzard
09.07.2019 , 12:20 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by teclado View Post
Are you new? Did you not play prior to 5.0? Go do a google search on the SWTOR 3.0 or 4.0 gearing system.

EDIT: Furthermore, have you not logged in to play the game as it is currently? I wasn't sure if you were a troll before, but now I'm certain. Not wasting my time with you anymore.
I feel sorry for you ! I honestly do !

Farewell !

IoNonSoEVero
09.07.2019 , 12:25 PM | #7
There's nothing wrong with the systems they have employed for earlier levels. They are trying to reinvent the wheel and it's not necessary. Do missions --> get currency --> buy things you need.

Before level 70 you can always go completely without RNG from gear drops by visiting vendors on the fleet. You can purchase mods, enhancements, hilts, barrels and armor. No guessing; you get what you need. Mod weapons. Repeat as you go through the levels. You can also craft these things without being expected to sacrifice your firstborn and use 10000 rare crafting mats.

And at Level 70 you can also avoid RNG:

Visit vendors on Fleet. Exchange Command Tokens for 230 gear appropriate to class and spec. Rip out mods to place in moddable weapons if one wishes.

Do missions. Get UCs or crystals. Visit vendor. Get gear you need for your class and spec. You can also use the RNG in the command crates to get gear but you have other options.

Lhancelot
09.07.2019 , 12:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
There is no rational reason, that I've seen explained, to change it away from what we have.
Oh, so you mean this is just like every other previous update that gutted and removed past gearing systems to make room for less enjoyable and less efficient gearing systems?

Seems BW is following the same modus operandi as usual, which only means the game will become less enjoyable which means more players will be leaving the game.

Anyone that has been around since 3.0 and later know this song and dance quite well.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Darev
09.07.2019 , 12:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Oh, so you mean this is just like every other previous update that gutted and removed past gearing systems to make room for less enjoyable and less efficient gearing systems?

Seems BW is following the same modus operandi as usual, which only means the game will become less enjoyable which means more players will be leaving the game.

Anyone that has been around since 3.0 and later know this song and dance quite well.
They at least pretended to have a reason with the previous ones.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

OlBuzzard
09.07.2019 , 12:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post

Nailed it !!!

I've been around for a long time my friend: since the game started. One of the things that lead to this thread has been... "you know.. I remember when" !!

I don't have the command of all of the technobabble that some of you do! But DO have a pretty good memory! I remember when I could use a green or two temporarily then get that Moded look that I wanted. Work hard and save a few credits then go get the mods I wanted to fill the slots from vendors at the fleet. Back then you could get "greens" on the planet you were on (if you needed them that bad) then get the up grades at the fleet.

I think we're pretty much on the same page!

BTW... thanks for you input !