Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Legacy of Darkness - A Fanfiction trilogy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Legacy of Darkness - A Fanfiction trilogy

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
09.22.2017 , 03:57 PM | #151
Another enjoyable addition to your story. In particular, I enjoyed the way you described the Dread Master's powers of suggestion and persuasion, and how you likened them to snakes. That was some effective imagery there.

I hope you get over your block soon. It seems to be one of those weeks. Must be something in the stars, so many I know have been struggling this week, myself included.

MayhemofChaonus's Avatar


MayhemofChaonus
09.22.2017 , 09:33 PM | #152
The imagery was meant to be
Spoiler


Thanks for commenting Luna, even if you're the only person that still reads it pleases me to know at least one person is still enjoying the ride.
My armor is contempt, my shield is disgust, my sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name let none survive.
May the Force forsake you

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
09.22.2017 , 10:40 PM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
The imagery was meant to be
Spoiler


Thanks for commenting Luna, even if you're the only person that still reads it pleases me to know at least one person is still enjoying the ride.
You know, I only just noticed that crest tonight, because I purchased some of the Commemorative Dread Master's sculptures...I got the group of six and also Styrak, so prior to tonight, I hadn't noticed or given much thought to their crests. I'm familiar with your line of reasoning and while I was brought up as Protestant/Christian...I'm more of a pagan/Wiccan/Christian (odd combo I know) in that I see the wisdom in all those faiths and choose what works for me.

I'm also quite a demonologist (in terms of lore). I wouldn't ever try summoning any because at best, this is what would happen lol: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/79...5953477e2b.jpg

I've studied them extensively and have always been endlessly fascinated by the darkness. I look at Lucifer as 'an old friend' in the sense that I'm utterly fascinated by the character and his story. And in many ways, I get 'him'. I understand...but that's not to say I'm a devil worshipper lol. Far from it. Just fascinated by a most excellent character and story.

And you're welcome. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. People are just shy.

MayhemofChaonus's Avatar


MayhemofChaonus
09.23.2017 , 11:34 AM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
You know, I only just noticed that crest tonight, because I purchased some of the Commemorative Dread Master's sculptures...I got the group of six and also Styrak, so prior to tonight, I hadn't noticed or given much thought to their crests. I'm familiar with your line of reasoning and while I was brought up as Protestant/Christian...I'm more of a pagan/Wiccan/Christian (odd combo I know) in that I see the wisdom in all those faiths and choose what works for me.

I'm also quite a demonologist (in terms of lore). I wouldn't ever try summoning any because at best, this is what would happen lol: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/79...5953477e2b.jpg

I've studied them extensively and have always been endlessly fascinated by the darkness. I look at Lucifer as 'an old friend' in the sense that I'm utterly fascinated by the character and his story. And in many ways, I get 'him'. I understand...but that's not to say I'm a devil worshipper lol. Far from it. Just fascinated by a most excellent character and story.

And you're welcome. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. People are just shy.

Being fascinated is one thing, be careful that the fascination doesn't morph into something else altogether...I knew a girl in high school who said she felt sorry for Lucifer and felt that he was simply misunderstood. That kind of infatuation with the Fallen One is never healthy IMO, as it leads one to eventually take the remaining steps into Satanism and possibly, eventually, Lucifarianism, which in modern times has become severely misinterpreted and misunderstood as a perfectly harmless belief system, possibly due to the manipulations and propaganda of the more influential practioners...but I digress.

At any rate that girl is now stuck in an immensely self-destructive life cycle, or at least she was the last I heard of her. I myself have a clinical fascination with Lucifer, which is the only type of fascination with him that I would recommend. I see him, or the character of him if you prefer, as a case study in what happens when you rebel against the "Ultimate Ideal" (i.e. God, the Force, the Universe, ect.). And as his story (Lucifer's) clearly demonstrates, the end result is nowhere near what is promised you at the beginning.

These sorts of themes are things I intend to explore and examine through the medium of this trilogy, and we've only just scratched the surface thus far.
My armor is contempt, my shield is disgust, my sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name let none survive.
May the Force forsake you

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
09.23.2017 , 12:12 PM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by MayhemofChaonus View Post
Being fascinated is one thing, be careful that the fascination doesn't morph into something else altogether...I knew a girl in high school who said she felt sorry for Lucifer and felt that he was simply misunderstood. That kind of infatuation with the Fallen One is never healthy IMO, as it leads one to eventually take the remaining steps into Satanism and possibly, eventually, Lucifarianism, which in modern times has become severely misinterpreted and misunderstood as a perfectly harmless belief system, possibly due to the manipulations and propaganda of the more influential practioners...but I digress.

At any rate that girl is now stuck in an immensely self-destructive life cycle, or at least she was the last I heard of her. I myself have a clinical fascination with Lucifer, which is the only type of fascination with him that I would recommend. I see him, or the character of him if you prefer, as a case study in what happens when you rebel against the "Ultimate Ideal" (i.e. God, the Force, the Universe, ect.). And as his story (Lucifer's) clearly demonstrates, the end result is nowhere near what is promised you at the beginning.

These sorts of themes are things I intend to explore and examine through the medium of this trilogy, and we've only just scratched the surface thus far.
Wise words for the impressionable, for certain. To be clear, my interest in the Prince of Darkness is more of a scholarly sort of thing, he's fascinating to me as a 'character' or as a villain. I've always been fascinated by the inner workings of various villains and anti-heroes. Understanding a point of view doesn't imply agreement with it, at least not for me. I don't see him as 'misunderstood' so much as I understand the pride that led to the fall.

What happened to the girl you knew was unfortunate. I think the study of material of this nature, requires a certain intellectual and emotional stability. Impressionable people should avoid this stuff, it does tend to linger in the mind on many levels.

The Church of Satan per Aleister Crowley states, 'do as you will, but harm none'...a statement to make the core beliefs more palatable to the masses. It is what it is and for me, every action evokes a reaction. Do good and good will come to you (law of prosperity), do wrong and it will return threefold (I feel closer to the Wiccan rede here).

Anyway, I appreciate the warning and concern, it's noted, and never something to be dismissed by anyone. Interesting discussion, but I won't derail your story further.

MayhemofChaonus's Avatar


MayhemofChaonus
09.23.2017 , 03:59 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Wise words for the impressionable, for certain. To be clear, my interest in the Prince of Darkness is more of a scholarly sort of thing, he's fascinating to me as a 'character' or as a villain. I've always been fascinated by the inner workings of various villains and anti-heroes. Understanding a point of view doesn't imply agreement with it, at least not for me. I don't see him as 'misunderstood' so much as I understand the pride that led to the fall.

What happened to the girl you knew was unfortunate. I think the study of material of this nature, requires a certain intellectual and emotional stability. Impressionable people should avoid this stuff, it does tend to linger in the mind on many levels.

The Church of Satan per Aleister Crowley states, 'do as you will, but harm none'...a statement to make the core beliefs more palatable to the masses. It is what it is and for me, every action evokes a reaction. Do good and good will come to you (law of prosperity), do wrong and it will return threefold (I feel closer to the Wiccan rede here).

Anyway, I appreciate the warning and concern, it's noted, and never something to be dismissed by anyone. Interesting discussion, but I won't derail your story further.
Interesting, it seems we hold the same kind of interest in studying/analyzing/examining the minds, hearts, and motivations of villains. This is part of the reason why I'm writing this trilogy from Nox's perspective. There are other reasons which I hope will become more apparent as I complete each book ofc.

I fully agree that understanding of a perspective does not necessitate agreement. After all how can you successfully engage or defeat an enemy that you do not understand? And yet if understanding was synonymous with compliance you could never comprehend your foe without becoming just like them.

Yes I suppose we shouldn't turn away from the fun, that is the story, no matter how interesting the subject matter of this discussion may be. Ofc discussions like this one are why I included a TOC, so people who just want the good stuff and not the boring bits in between of fellow writers conversing and analyzing can stick only to the story.

An interesting discussion Luna. I look forward to others, and again, thanks for speaking up.
My armor is contempt, my shield is disgust, my sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name let none survive.
May the Force forsake you

MayhemofChaonus's Avatar


MayhemofChaonus
10.12.2017 , 10:57 PM | #157
Spoiler
My armor is contempt, my shield is disgust, my sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name let none survive.
May the Force forsake you

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
10.14.2017 , 02:06 AM | #158
Interesting and well-written chapter, Mayhem I have to wonder how much of the first third of your story was inspired by real-life current events and politics. I would be surprised if you said 'not at all'.

Seeing Nox is always fun and I too enjoyed his 'terror-forming' joke. Looking forward to the next!

MayhemofChaonus's Avatar


MayhemofChaonus
10.14.2017 , 03:10 AM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Interesting and well-written chapter, Mayhem I have to wonder how much of the first third of your story was inspired by real-life current events and politics. I would be surprised if you said 'not at all'.

Seeing Nox is always fun and I too enjoyed his 'terror-forming' joke. Looking forward to the next!
"Art imitates life."

There are several twists and turns of logic that my writing takes with regards to being a reflection of real-life events and politics, think of my writing as being a lens that flips the subject upside down, twists it around in the middle, and then flips it around so that left is right and right is left. All this is done deliberately, and while I doubt anyone will actually get down to the core message, I really don't want to just spoil it for anyone who will.

Besides, its so much more fun to watch people figure things out for themselves, when they bother to try.

Thanks again for your feedback Luna, as always you are the dependable rock of this section of the forums.
My armor is contempt, my shield is disgust, my sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name let none survive.
May the Force forsake you

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
10.14.2017 , 03:27 PM | #160
I've got to say I'm really enjoying the way you're handling the dread master's powers of madness, slowly but surely they will dominate even the most powerful mind such as Nox's and this pressures him to find a solution before it happens making it quite interesting as opposed to just walking on Oricon with nothing really happening.
a man can have anything if he's willing to sacrifice everything