My Idea for Improving GSF

btmart

This idea is more of combining PvP and PvE aspects of the game and also making GSF fun and attractive for all players!

In my opinion GSF failed at the start because it did not include a PvE aspect to the gameplay, and proper PvP play.

With that, I would like to provide a series of ideas that were already done and proven that would improve GSF:

• True 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 head on PvP (straight up PvP that would allow a combination of classes to compete against each other)

• More GSF PvP maps

• A PvE environment that would allow for GSF versions of Flash Points, and Operations

• And lastly, a ship environment that made you feel like you were actually piloting a fighter

Most of this was already done with X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and the PvP aspect was hugely successful. I don't see why this philosophy could not be implemented into this game as it just works, and I do think the player base would love it.

Edited by btmart

Oh boy.

In my opinion GSF failed at the start because it did not include a PvE aspect to the gameplay

This is actually true to a degree. If GSF had a solid PvE framework, it would have attracted more players, and likely it would have been more "sticky", as players logged in to do solo and group pve content when not in the mood for pvp.

The issue is- pve is VERY expensive. It is much more expensive than pvp. Some of the big challenges of making a server based pvp game- that is to say, the server- were already fully solved at SWTOR launch, and ready for GSF to just run with.

This game was a barebones addition clearly using not a great deal of developer time or resources. Making it into PvE would require completely different server side AI, similar to that employed by X-Wing games, except extended for the ludicrous latency that the net handles. Mobs in an MMO are barely restricted by physics, acceleration doesn't exist, etc. Their movement is a side effect, their combat roles their meat and bones both. Simply adding a dogfighting mode versus a single enemy ship of compelling (meaning: reasonably and human like, not godlike and not derplike) would be a pretty big deal.

So anyway, even though PvE would, at this moment, do the MOST to make GSF super popular and part of everyone's daily play experience, it would also be the most expensive proposal.

and proper PvP play.

GSF has proper PvP play. Hrm, what do YOU think that means?

True 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8 head on PvP (straight up PvP that would allow a combination of classes to compete against each other)

We already have 8v8 "head on PvP" that is "straight up". Team Deathmatch assuredly meets this requirement. Unless you are talking total lunacy, like, no map, just a starfield. If you are talking about that, trust me, you don't want that. Gameplay would be pretty degenerate, as the ships can't all be both meaningfully different from each other (as they are) and able to all effectively compete in such a featureless environment. You'd need to pack all the complexity onto weapon types, damage cycling, cooldown cycling, and debuffs, to get your depth of play, on top of everyone having effectively the same maneuverability and speed. It would look like battle scouts with 10 buttons, basically, if you wanted to make it fair.

1v1 is probably meaningless (it could be ok if the ship types were forced to be the same), but 2v2 and 4v4 have some merit. What GSF probably needs isn't more queues to split the playerbase though: what it could definitely use would be a "queue as group" where you and your friends or op group are transported to a map, with no rewards or ramifications on the cheeve-board, and set versus some other group or ops. If players were free to design 7v4, 8v8, 3v2, whatever, matches, then you'd see better testing out of the community and some interesting event nights that wouldn't interfere with the normal match queue. Such a thing is probably some pretty real development cost, but not like adding pve. I also doubt we'll see this, but it isn't totally unthinkable.

More GSF PvP maps

We may one day see a Denon TDM, but we do have a legitimate long term need for maps. This is technically on their agenda, though I doubt we'll ever see it. Adding new maps is definitely in the scope of any GSF development they do in the future, assuming that there is any.

A PvE environment that would allow for GSF versions of Flash Points, and Operations

"Add a whole new game" -> This won't happen, because it's a whole new game- and one much larger than extant GSF.

And lastly, a ship environment that made you feel like you were actually piloting a fighter

They already have this, it's called GSF. The ships already do a great job of making you feel that you are piloting them.

Most of this was already done with X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and the PvP aspect was hugely successful.

I think they got as close to that game while still being in the SWTOR game as they meaningfully could, given their playerbase and budget. They could definitely have done more, but changing this game into that would be questionable at any stage: certainly it would be unthinkable today. Remember, many players spawn and fly into rocks because they have no idea how to flight sim.

Edited by Verain

• And lastly, a ship environment that made you feel like you were actually piloting a fighter

They already have this, it's called GSF. The ships already do a great job of making you feel that you are piloting them.

I'm pretty sure the original poster means actual art of a cockpit surrounding the HUD, like there was in XW, TF, XWvTF, and XW:A. As far as whether that's necessary ... when JtL came out for SWG, you had the option to run it third person, first person, and with or without cockpit art in the periphery. I think that freedom was best. Personally, I flew first person without the cockpit art for the majority of single person starfighters, although for POB ships or two person ships like the y-wing and the ARC-170 I would zoom out to third person to be more spatially aware of what my gunners might be shooting at. That being said, three years into GSF, I would probably opt to turn off cockpit art. More importantly, regarding the OP's originally stated goal to increase participation, I don't think the presence nor absence of cockpit art recruits/retains a single player into GSF or detracts/prevents them from trying it out, so I would prefer the resources be spent elsewhere.

SWG did the best job of incorporating PVE, PVP, and Crafting all into 1 large exciting experience. It's a damn shamed they released the best parts of it (Space GCW) when the game was ending :(

Agree 100%. The AI was decent for pve content, the server infrastructure more than competent to handle large scale space battles often with multiple players on board multi-player ships (POBs), and its integration into the ground game with atmospheric flight, the Galactic Civil War, and Shipwright crafting is a model that I would love to see again. I do not forsee it in SWTOR's future.:(