EricMusco

Ditto what others have said about getting too many healers. I don't know how to tell who is a healer and who is a tank in 8s except to look at their numbers at the end (or if I happen to know the toon name and that they heal). Judging from the numbers shown on the screens I took after each game, I see 3 healers each side in almost all 8s matches, sometimes 4. I had one arena that started with 1 heal/3DPS each side, but then one DPS quit and they got a heal backfill. The other two arenas I had there were 2 healers and 2 DPS each side from the beginning.

There were ALWAYS an equal (or just 1 different) number of healers. Just too many.

Judging by protection numbers, and what I can put up myself using taunts and "off guards" on my DPS sin - so disregarding other toons with similar numbers - tanks were I guess almost non-existent in my matches. There were absolutely none in any arenas I had. In 8s, I see only two total (one each in two different matches) that look like they were probably actually tanks.

Regarding matchmaking, I echo my earlier statement that the cross-faction queues are superb. This makes for much more balanced teams. For example, when there is a really annoying player on the enemy team, usually I don't look forward to seeing him again in following matches. But with cross-faction queues, he may end up being on my team for the next match, which leads an overall less hostile and less toxic PvP experience. So please leave the cross-faction queues in, they're great. :)

Some of the voice-over are weird now, e.g. in Voidstar where they still talk about Republic and Empire. I suppose you don't have the resources to record new voicelines. So it is a little immersion-breaking, but I wouldn't give up cross-faction for that.

One major bug: Please fix the class icons for Inquisitors/Consulars. This is a really long-standing bug, and while I have come to live with it on the live servers, it is unbearable with cross-faction queues. During PvP, I rarely have time to figure out the icon, I only pay attention to the color.

Having Sages and Assassins light blue, and Sorcerers and Shadows dark blue makes no sense. Please ensure that each two mirror classes have the same color.

I still don't understand how the other matchmaking change (restricting the number of healers in PvP) is supposed to work. There were still matches with 3-4 healers on one team.

I assume that too many healers are in queue compared to DPS. I'm not 100% sure what the correct solution is, but I am leaning more on the side of not putting more than 2 healers in a match. If there are too many healers online, and healers end up having a longer queue time than DPS, I am thinking that some healers will switch to DPS and the problem will sort itself out naturally. Otherwise, healers will just continue queueing as healers and it makes the experience worse for everyone.

We did have one grouping issue in an arena. This was after the playtesting session, when there were very few players left. I ended up leaving the match and then rejoining again. As you can see in the screenshot, Ingracious and me were on the same team, yet on the scoreboard we are in different teams.

I'm not sure if this is a PTS bug or if this exists on live as well, but please fix it.

Edited by Jerba

Is there stealth matchmaking? ie, a bunch of stealth on a team vs 1 stealth on the other team? Wouldn’t it be better to split the stealth up to balance both sides.

stealth is not a class role, it is a desperation cooldown, which is one of the easiest counterable in the game.

compare "stealth being broken .5 seconds after activation" to merc kolto, juggernaught enrage defence, sorc bubble and marauder blood ward saber ward

you might be able to build a case that 1. stealth played well and not found is the strongest... but the fact that its easily countered by good players kinda negates this, or 2) multiple stealth open up gang node grab... but the reality is if 5 players zerg one node from underneath no call is going to save your 4 sec global and node steal.

like a snipers nostun/interupt cover, stealth classes bring a utility no one else can.. but its hardly worth limiting

lastly, if stealth limiting became a thing alongside matchmaking and you got the sin tank and op hlr, rip your team. there goes your 2 stealth slots.

Edited by Seterade

If they are going to go that far, they should almost do it by spec.

This should already be happening

In 5.9.2 we are making optimizations in how we use this information along with things like role, spec, gear, and more to try to create the most balanced teams we can.

-eric

• 1 month later...
Hey folks,

Please use this thread to post your feedback on the 5.9.2 Matchmaking Changes. A few reminders:

• Our goals are to shorten the WZ and GSF queues while also ensuring matches are more fair in all modes.
  • Please try to reserve your feedback until after you have played the changes on PTS.
  • Make sure to include as many specifics as possible that are relevant to your feedback.
  • If your feedback is about a bug, please use the PTS bug report forum. This thread is aimed solely at feedback.

You can find a full list of the changes, here:

• All Warzone and Starfighter queues are now cross-faction
  • The Unranked Warzone queue will now always prioritize Warzones over Arenas. An Arena match will only pop if there are not enough players to populate a full Warzone match at that time.
  • Role Balancing:
    • Matchmaking will never place more than 2 tanks or healers on the same team in a Warzone or 1 tank or healer for an Arena.
    • Matchmaking will always do its best to balance the amount of tanks and healers on each team. If there are 2 healers, each team will receive one if possible, the same is true of tanks.
    • In situations where there are an odd number of tanks / healers, matchmaking will do its best to place the combined number of tanks and healers evenly (example: there are 3 healers and 1 tank, matchmaking will attempt to make the teams 2 healers vs 1 tank 1 healer.)

[*]Skill Balancing:

• Matchmaking will more strongly take player skill into account when making teams.
    • Premade groups queuing for Ranked and Unranked Warzones and GSF will now have their matchmaking skill based on the highest rated member, not the team’s average rating.
    • Galactic Starfighter matchmaking has been improved to better account for player experience along with their currently selected ship loadout.

-eric

Matchmaking isn’t working as stated.

Please fix.

The end.

• 1 month later...
Hey folks,

[*]Matchmaking will always do its best to balance the amount of tanks and healers on each team. If there are 2 healers, each team will receive one if possible, the same is true of tanks.

[*]In situations where there are an odd number of tanks / healers, matchmaking will do its best to place the combined number of tanks and healers evenly (example: there are 3 healers and 1 tank, matchmaking will attempt to make the teams 2 healers vs 1 tank 1 healer.)

This is not working well. I often fight in team with more heals or tank than an other, juste here an exemple : 1 tank + 2 heal in a team none in the other :

http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2018/41/4/1539250003-swtor-pvp-matchmaking-issue.png

Can we please get this addressed too.

The match making isn’t working properly and matches are more lopsided now than before.

One good person doesn’t = 2 bad players.

It would be good if we had a better understanding of how the system works and what the priorities are when the system is trying to match make.

Then we could test it properly and give you real feed back to tell you if it’s really working.

ie, teams of all 248 + 236 geared players vs all bolstered players with no Augments isn’t taking gear into consideration.

I’ve yet to see one match that takes gear or class/spec or role (besides healer/tanks) into consideration.

ie teams of all ranged vs teams of all melee or all stealth isn’t balance.

This needs attention as pvp isn’t fun anymore and people have stopped playing as much or left the game over it.

Being the only good player on a team with a all noobs vs a team of average players isn’t fun. One or Two good players can’t carry 6-7 noobs against a whole team of average players. It doesn’t matter how good you, that is an impossible situation.

It would be better to put a good player on both teams, half the average and half the noobs split across both teams equally. That is what we consider matchmaking. In my experience that isn’t happening.

Premades are also messing up the matchmaking. Might I suggest limiting the premades to two man groups or only putting premades against premades, even if it makes them wait a little longer the same as tanks or healers do.