A simple fix to PvP balancing that doesnt touch PvE

Slurmez

OK so pvp balancing which was pretty damn good at launch isnt very good now, I can only assume that smash/sweep spec for example was underperforming in pve against vigilance/vengeance which is why they buffed it when it was already a top performer in pvp. Even the PT/VG "nerf" could be considered a buff as sticky grenade/dart is now off the shared cooldown allowing them to backload even more damage.

We have the expertise stat, personally I dont like it but we have it anyway so why not actually use it to balance out pvp instead of just being an arbitrary static number.

For example if an ability is under performing, say shock (I know shock isnt under performing but was first thing that came to me) then you could increase the modifier that particular ability gets from expertise from say 1.0 to 1.1, giving it a pure pvp buff and not touching the precious PvE "metrics"

Same goes for abilities that are horribly, mostrously overpowered, that attain damage numbers the likes we havent seen since stacking adrenals and relics, like say.... I dont know.... sweep and smash, then you could lower the bonus modifier from 1.0 to 0.7, again, not touching PvE at all and presto, nice and easy balancing of PvP.

That to me is the simplest way they could do it and wouldnt be much work.

Edited by Slurmez

This is actually a really good idea. They have said that there are already a lot of flags that the character sheet has to pull around, but still. I like it. Maybe this would be a good approach. I imagine that they have already thought of it, but it doesn't hurt to suggest it.

Peace.

OK so pvp balancing which was pretty damn good at launch isnt very good now, I can only assume that smash/sweep spec for example was underperforming in pve against vigilance/vengeance which is why they buffed it when it was already a top performer in pvp. Even the PT/VG "nerf" could be considered a buff as sticky grenade/dart is now off the shared cooldown allowing them to backload even more damage.

We have the expertise stat, personally I dont like it but we have it anyway so why not actually use it to balance out pvp instead of just being an arbitrary static number.

For example if an ability is under performing, say shock (I know shock isnt under performing but was first thing that came to me) then you could increase the modifier that particular ability gets from expertise from say 1.0 to 1.1, giving it a pure pvp buff and not touching the precious PvE "metrics"

Same goes for abilities that are horribly, mostrously overpowered, that attain damage numbers the likes we havent seen since stacking adrenals and relics, like say.... I dont know.... sweep and smash, then you could lower the bonus modifier from 1.0 to 0.7, again, not touching PvE at all and presto, nice and easy balancing of PvP.

That to me is the simplest way they could do it and wouldnt be much work.

What you and other people don't understand...

If you create a new damage table for PvP (or just shift it to another stat) then you just create additional testing and balancing issues. Now the developers have to check twice the results every time they make a change. Now its twice as long to roll anything out.

It also creates discrepancies with player expectations. "Hey! This ability usually hits for 2000 in PvE, why the heck does it only hit for 500 in PvP?"

There are many, many reasons to keep the game consistent. Not to mention that PvP gear is often mixed with some PvE gear based on how the player wants to build their stats. This solution, while neat on paper, would be a mess in real life.

Edited by Arkerus

If you create a new damage table for PvP (or just shift it to another stat) then you just create additional testing and balancing issues. Now the developers have to check twice the results every time they make a change. Now its twice as long to roll anything out.

It also creates discrepancies with player expectations. "Hey! This ability usually hits for 2000 in PvE, why the heck does it only hit for 500 in PvP?"

There are many, many reasons to keep the game consistent. Not to mention that PvP gear is often mixed with some PvE gear based on how the player wants to build their stats. This solution, while neat on paper, would be a mess in real life.

What I and others dont get indeed? Im not suggesting a damage table, Its a simple modifier and while errors can occur its not really something that can be broken because its a simple scaling modifier, you could make it more exciting and sexy by adding various clamp values to lock down under/over performance but THAT would be open for mistakes. Its not a wide ranging variation in the theme of what Castle did in City Of Heroes where the game was totally different in PvE and PvP environments, its an elegant way to balance PvP without having to touch on PvE metrics.

As for consistency, pve and pvp mix gear what are you talking about, by the very existence of a expertise stat there is no consistency, and wearing one set of pants does one thing in PvP and something totally different PvE. By very definition of their design PvP and PvE is separate and inconsistant. Its not an approach I agree with but its still there.

you assume that the devs are even doing this properly in the first place, which they clearly are not..........

keeping the games consistent < balancing the both the pve and pvp aspects of the game. the OP has a really good idea, tho i dont think it would work.

iirc, expertise is added outside the initial attack damage calculation. so the devs would have to re-write most of the code for abilities. which, imo, is not that complicated and has already been done once before in this game. this solution would be worth exploring imo

Edited by cashogy