Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So Khem Val can heal in 4.0? ***

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So Khem Val can heal in 4.0? ***

OathboundCoH
09.26.2015 , 10:25 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by VitalityPrime View Post
Yeah, I agree.

I do, however, think that you should only get one choice.

I don't think you should be able to change a companions spec on the run. I think you should only able to make the change the same way you would change your character's discipline.

If you make a companion a healer, that's your healer...no changing to DPS on the go.

That's my opinion...but I can understand if they don't go that route.
Honestly I think that would kind of defeat the purpose of all the work they did to allow you to alter the companion's role in the first place. It wouldn't completely invalidate it, of course, but it would certainly limit the payoff.

I like that we'll be able to use our favorite companion all the time now (except where the game requires a specific companion for a mission/conversation), without feeling like we're gimping ourselves for using a sub-optimal pairing.

But then I also agree that some companions just wouldn't feel right to me in certain roles, so it's unlikely that I would use them as such personally.

branmakmuffin
09.26.2015 , 10:28 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Musco confirmed it during the Q&A thread after the first Livestream:
Well then the answer to the OP is my original one: if you don't want Khem to be a healer, don't have him be a healer.

ForceFanatic
09.26.2015 , 03:28 PM | #23
TY for all the input guys. I guess I feel a little better about it. Just felt to me like companions now just lose their uniqueness.

Max_Killjoy
09.26.2015 , 10:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
If the storyline actually involved Khem acting as a healer or Mako as a tank, etc, then I'd probably dislike it - but as it stands it's a gameplay option.

I'm big on immersion so I'm planning to always have Khem in either Tank or DPS stance if I use him, always going to have Mako as a Healer or DPS, and so forth. This just means that other players, whose enjoyment of the game is less tied to that sort of immersion than mine is, will have more flexibility, while my experience will remain largely unchanged in that regard.

(And even I may play around with having Treek DPS or Vette heal, or some other edge cases like that).
While I find the notion of some companions in certain roles a touch silly, I see nothing wrong with opening up those options for other players.

What is wrong is the way they've gutted a existing set of choices (companion gearing) in order to add those options.

Bioware seems incapable of adding one thing without ruining or removing another.

Deyjarl
09.26.2015 , 11:08 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
They'll also all be nothing but dress-up dolls.
Which is different than now how?

With this you can choose your favorite companion to run with all the time rather than 'oh I need heals so I have to take Guss' or 'No point in Mako on this trash right now.'
Friend reference, you get 7 daysof free subscription,
free character transfer, and items mailed to all your characters.
http://www.swtor.com/r/GLDSHl

divinecynic
09.26.2015 , 11:14 PM | #26
Hmm I wonder if they will make other companions besides Treek and HK as good as they are. I hope not, you earned and/or payed for Treek and HK they should be better than the baseline companions.

SithKoriandr
09.26.2015 , 11:21 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by divinecynic View Post
Hmm I wonder if they will make other companions besides Treek and HK as good as they are. I hope not, you earned and/or payed for Treek and HK they should be better than the baseline companions.
I agree with this, as someone who earned HK (havent used him, but wanted to get him at least once) and hasn't gotten Treek.

It just seems to me, if you pay money for a companion, should be pretty decent compared to the rest.

Though, if they make them all equal, I won't bat an eye. You bought the companion, you got to enjoy a powerful companion for awhile Me, I want to use my favorites! Which will be hard to decide in the coming expansion O.O
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Tolunart
09.26.2015 , 11:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ForceFanatic View Post
TY for all the input guys. I guess I feel a little better about it. Just felt to me like companions now just lose their uniqueness.
It should have been this way from the beginning. Different classes can fill multiple roles but each class gets companions in a different order. So if you're playing a bounty hunter tank you get a healing comp right away. But what about assassins? Khem is fun but two tanks don't do great damage and neither has access to much healing. Talos is an annoying little twerp who loses affection when I choose fun dialog options, but when I got him his healing abilities made a big difference in how PvE battles went.

Then there's Treek. She can be unlocked at level 10, tanks and heals, and doesn't seem to be affected much by dialog choices. She has no place in the storyline and is just there for convenience, but many players want that kind of convenience. If I had Treek available to heal my assassin during tough battles while leveling there would have been a lot less respawning and frustration.

All they are doing is bringing that kind of convenience to every companion so newer players can experience less frustration while still enjoying their favorite companions' stories. If you don't like it then you can just use them for their traditional roles only. As for immersion, on a busy night there can be dozens of Khems and Kiras running around on fleet so if you can ignore all the clones this shouldn't bother you either.

divinecynic
09.26.2015 , 11:58 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I agree with this, as someone who earned HK (havent used him, but wanted to get him at least once) and hasn't gotten Treek.

It just seems to me, if you pay money for a companion, should be pretty decent compared to the rest.

Though, if they make them all equal, I won't bat an eye. You bought the companion, you got to enjoy a powerful companion for awhile Me, I want to use my favorites! Which will be hard to decide in the coming expansion O.O
Well it depends, right now there is no mechanical point to take anyone but HK or Treek. I have no issue with the new stances for companions. I just hope Treek doesn't loose her healing in tank stance or HK his one shot.

jankiel
09.27.2015 , 12:41 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Faardor View Post
mercs already do this, not a good argument.
You misunderstood. I like the idea. Quinn tanking, Broonmark healing, Jaesa healing/tanking. I like all of this