[POLL] Extra Character Slots per Server?

TolaSrrup

This is an attempt to see how many people would benefit from an addition of say 2-4 extra character slots per server.

I, for one, have several reasons I think this would be beneficial to many.

First off, I know there is some concern over low populations on several servers. With the forth coming character transfers and possible server mergers, I would think that those of us of who have high level characters on several servers would like to find a permanent home for them on higher populated servers, especially if they are a part of an active guild, but may not have room to transfer those characters. This would allow us to have room for those transfers.

Second, I think this would help broaden the legacy experience, not just within the ability to have more characters to generate more legacy points and thus reaping the benefits from the higher tiers of legacy accomplishment, but more over it would allow us as players to create a more dynamic "family tree: and thus giving more depth to our respective legacy experiences - an unwritten biography as it were.

Third, and most important to me and the Bioware "concept" is the re-playability factor. Knights of the Old Republic - not to mention the Mass Effect series, Jade Empire, The Dragon Age series, and the Neverwinter Nights series - all have wonderful story lines (let's not discuss ME3's ending) that made them infinitely re-playable, especially considering that you can go back and change character classes, gender, race and alignment to see the subtle differences in dialogue, story and endings (one of the reasons I make a point to go back at least once a year a replay each of those titles). With the addition of added character slots, it would allow players to go back through a character class and choose a different race, specialization class, gender, and attitude (light/dark) and see how the same story unfolds - even allowing for different decisions to be made along the way. For me specifically, and to give you an example, I thoroughly enjoyed the Imperial Operative storyline. However, I played him as a Human Operative. I want to go back (once the story is not so fresh in my mind) and play him as a Chiss Sniper. I want to choose a new romance option. And, without giving away a specific spoiler, there is one decision gate early on that I would to choose the different route. But I want to be able to do these things without leaving the server I'm on because of the fantastic guild I'm associate with now (Darth Bandon - <The Republic> and <The Imperial Guard> - we're actively recruiting, look us up on the server or at our guild's web page. We're the largest and most active guild around!).

I know that 8 slots already seems plenty. That give players the option of have one of every general class, 4 republic and 4 imperial, or allows the player to have all 8 variant specializations of either the republic classes or the imperial classes (of course, allowing for any mixing and matching variants within). I'm not asking for 16 character slots so that we can have all the various permutations of character classes, but the addition of 2-4 extra slots would seem to me to be within the realm of possible. It would make up for low server populations, allow players to transfer in extra high level characters from other servers, it would bolster the legacy experience and, most importantly, allow for a greater chance for class/story re-playability.

Please add your voice to this discussion. I had simply wanted to create a quick and easy poll to judge whether or not there is a shared demand for this, but obviously I am unable to do so. Bioware is famous for listening to players and doing everything within their power to address issues and requests. If you feel this is something that you would not need now or in the future, please say so. If, like me, you almost desperately need a couple of extra character slots, then by all means say that as well.

I look forward to seeing how the community reacts to this request and upon reading sensible, constructive discussions on this topic. Remember, it is for Bioware to say whether or not this is even possible, so lets hope we get some input from the Devs and I will attempt to be diligent on getting this answered on a Q & A (as I have tried already). Thank you for you time and input. :w_cool:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actual polls can't be created (not by normal users anyway)

so you have to do it like a generic opinion poll and just state your opinion ;)

that being said, I'd definitely need some more character slots, even if just for the fact that I want to play all class stories, and the different advanced classes are just too much fun to pass (just because I want my main characters to be Republic doesn't mean I don't want to at least see the storylines of the Empire classes aswell, but I still want to be able to play both a sage and a shadow, and a scoundrel and a gunslinger...)

Two to four extra slots isn't enough.

At least sixteen slots total (eight extra) makes sense, even if players have to purchase the slots beyond eight!

Edited by llesna

Yeah, 16 should be the norm really...before they ever even mentioned legacy, I already had 8 imperial chars because afterall, why have imps and reps on one server if they cannot intereact in any way, like sending money and gear...oh wait...

Yeah, 16 should be the norm really...before they ever even mentioned legacy, I already had 8 imperial chars because afterall, why have imps and reps on one server if they cannot intereact in any way, like sending money and gear...oh wait...

Well, you'd need 8 to get all 8 stories and the general flavor of each advanced class. Granted, the Republic and Imperial advanced classes aren't exactly the same, but the roles they fill are the same. You don't need to have a Gunslinger, Scoundrel, Sniper and Operative to feel you're getting everything the game has to offer.

Also, they did announce from the beginning that the Legacy perks applied to both factions on the same server, even though Legacy hadn't been implemented at that time. We all knew something was coming, even though we didn't know the specifics.

So, I agree with having more character slots, but not that Bioware owes it to us. Not at this point in the game.

That being said, with the species unlocks, it would have been nice if some kind of species change (paid or not) would have been implemented, as that's something that people who did create 8 characters in the same legacy can't take advantage of. And once the game adds additional classes, I think they should add 2 character slots per base class added, so you could get the two stories and the flavor for each advanced class.

As it is now, I think paid, or Legacy-based, character slot unlocks (up to 16) would be reasonable, but not that they're owed to us.

Yep, 16 slots are the minimum currently needed to really experience everything the game has to offer.

I'm sorry to disagree with the guy who said you don/t need a gunslinger and scoundrel or a sniper and an operative because they fill the same role. There is a big difference between a gunslinger DPS and a scoundrel DPS. It is that way with all of the classes. I consider the "starter" classes (warrior, inquisitor, smuggler, knight, etc) to be exactly that: starter classes. The A in AC to me is Actual. The actual classes are the Advance Classes and while the story is practically identical, the way you play each AC is totally different. That makes them different classes, even if one or two pair fill the same role.

I'm a completionist. When I want to play one of everything, I mean one of everything. Let's not forget the coming new races and eventual new classes..... TV Land was wrong: 8 isn't enough.

Edited by InnerPieces

Agreed, I think i'll need 4 additional slots in the long run.

I want to play all classes for story, but i'll mostly play republic, so in the long run i would like to have each AC on republic side plus 4 imperial classes for story.

In a game where each class has its own rich story, and alts are a key part of the experience, limiting the number of character slots so severely is counterproductive.

Also, we live in 2012. Storage is cheap. Doubling the number of slots to 16 or higher should not be a major technical challenge. The real technical limitation is the database. Since they *also* said that they couldn't spare the space to let us add small text bios for each character on inspection (!!!), I wonder if they are running this thing on flat-files or Paradox or something.

I'm for extra slots, however those should be earned. I think Player should get an addition character slot for each character who has finished act 2 of the character story and this should be displayed in your legacy window. The number should not exceed more than 16 slots per server. Edited by GorZie

I'm for extra slots, however those should be earned. I think Player should get an addition character slot for each character who has finished act 2 of the character story and this should be displayed in your legacy window. The number should not exceed more than 16 slots per server.

That's a really good idea. :)

Edited by MadBlue

Yeah I definitely support the addition of extra slots, even if it means having to get a character to 50 to unlock one.

I for one am caught between a rock and a hard place because I have 2 of the same advanced class (vanguard and powertech) and one advanced class of each besides that. But now that leaves me with 1 slot left and 2 classes left.

:(

Well, I can't claim to speak for everyone - except on this. :) I think I can say that there isn't anyone that would be against more character slots. The good news is it's being considered. I imagine it won't be until they've added new playable species (which they plan to do this year).

Addendum:

The only unknown in this, IMO, is if they will be free, or paid and how many as a max per server.

Edited by Styxx

I had to level 2 Bounty Hunters because it's the only way to play both advance classes. Now I don't have room for each class on that server.

Seems to me they want you to level 1 of each class, plus all classes for legacy perks, but they don't give us the slots to do it.

I'm sorry to disagree with the guy who said you don/t need a gunslinger and scoundrel or a sniper and an operative because they fill the same role. There is a big difference between a gunslinger DPS and a scoundrel DPS.

I meant you don't need one of each. You can roll a Scoundrel and a Sniper, or an Operative and a Gunslinger, and get the class story from each faction and the role (and more or less the play-style) from each advanced class.

Well, you'd need 8 to get all 8 stories and the general flavor of each advanced class. Granted, the Republic and Imperial advanced classes aren't exactly the same, but the roles they fill are the same. You don't need to have a Gunslinger, Scoundrel, Sniper and Operative to feel you're getting everything the game has to offer.

Also, they did announce from the beginning that the Legacy perks applied to both factions on the same server, even though Legacy hadn't been implemented at that time. We all knew something was coming, even though we didn't know the specifics.

So, I agree with having more character slots, but not that Bioware owes it to us. Not at this point in the game.

That being said, with the species unlocks, it would have been nice if some kind of species change (paid or not) would have been implemented, as that's something that people who did create 8 characters in the same legacy can't take advantage of. And once the game adds additional classes, I think they should add 2 character slots per base class added, so you could get the two stories and the flavor for each advanced class.

As it is now, I think paid, or Legacy-based, character slot unlocks (up to 16) would be reasonable, but not that they're owed to us.

I don't claim I read every possible info there was pre-release but considered myself somewhat well-informed. On 13.12. I had no idea about legacy and that there could be an advantage to have imps and reps on same server. In fact, we discussed it within our small guild, whether there is ANY reason to have them on same server...so all of us rolled reps elsewhere, just in case we want all 8 slots per side.

I'm for extra slots, however those should be earned. I think Player should get an addition character slot for each character who has finished act 2 of the character story and this should be displayed in your legacy window. The number should not exceed more than 16 slots per server.

Awhile back I suggested linking extra character slots to Legacy. Letting us purchase (with in-game credits) and extra slot starting at Legacy level 20 and buying the last, 16th slot, at Legacy level 50. I forget the exact breakdown I used, but it was something along those lines.