So glad I have copies of the game to reinstall from.

Reno_Tarshil

So glad I've had no reason to reinstall. But yes, it's nice having disc version available, an option that's becoming rarer these days sadly. Never seen much reason to reinstall any MMORPGs though, you can just copy-paste the initial install somewhere else and then use that again forever.

So glad I've had no reason to reinstall. But yes, it's nice having disc version available, an option that's becoming rarer these days sadly. Never seen much reason to reinstall any MMORPGs though, you can just copy-paste the initial install somewhere else and then use that again forever.

Indeed, with external drives as cheap as hamburgers these days, why wouldn't anyone have backups?

Because I only have one pc.

As I play with my wife, game will stay at least on 2... but if you have no need - just copy your game folder to other location and keep it there.

Do it time to time (game n working state copy paste over same location) and you will have option to restore it for less than an hour (time depends on network and PC).

And this still don't answer my question - what was the reason for reinstall (not why you had to use disks)?

Edited by morfius

As I play with my wife, game will stay at least on 2... but if you have no need - just copy your game folder to other location and keep it there.

Do it time to time (game n working state copy paste over same location) and you will have option to restore it for less than an hour (time depends on network and PC).

And this still don't answer my question - what was the reason for reinstall (not why you had to use disks)?

Had computer issues. Couldn't system restore because I didn't have restore points and I ran out of potential fixes to my issue so I had to use the last resort and fresh install my computer.

Had computer issues. Couldn't system restore because I didn't have restore points and I ran out of potential fixes to my issue so I had to use the last resort and fresh install my computer.

I have moved whole drives from 1 pc to other, ever had Windows 7 x64 lived on 3 totally different platforms.

I am too lazy to reinstall :D

But yet I done it when I bought my new desktop because I decided to see (even been 99% sure it wont) is it going to do any better.

Nope as I expected :)

Let get to game though, I never keep my PCs with 1 partition only and games in general doesn't give a bantha backside where exactly you install them.

Next time just put your game on non OS partition and after reinstall just do what you see fit for you:

- Manually install .net, VC++ and get shortcuts from game folder.

- Go download small setup file from site that will do exactly that above + making some keys and icons. Setup will find your own files or will need you to browse to folder (do not start game when it finish, close launcher and start it again).

Both cases, install DirectX 9 Redistributable from Microsoft.com.

Even your disks have DX9 on them but not redistributable made for Vista/7/8 - they have pure XP version.

I have moved whole drives from 1 pc to other, ever had Windows 7 x64 lived on 3 totally different platforms.

I am too lazy to reinstall :D

But yet I done it when I bought my new desktop because I decided to see (even been 99% sure it wont) is it going to do any better.

Nope as I expected :)

Let get to game though, I never keep my PCs with 1 partition only and games in general doesn't give a bantha backside where exactly you install them.

Next time just put your game on non OS partition and after reinstall just do what you see fit for you:

- Manually install .net, VC++ and get shortcuts from game folder.

- Go download small setup file from site that will do exactly that above + making some keys and icons. Setup will find your own files or will need you to browse to folder (do not start game when it finish, close launcher and start it again).

Both cases, install DirectX 9 Redistributable from Microsoft.com.

Even your disks have DX9 on them but not redistributable made for Vista/7/8 - they have pure XP version.

It's really not a big deal for me, installation doesn't take long for me.

I used to have this problem years ago. Then I got smart and started installing all my games on a hard drive separate from the OS. Much better performance as well since the games are not on the same drive as the page file. No installing in "protected folders" like c:\program files\ making patching a pain. OS goes belly up, reformat c:\ and good to go, all my games still alive and well on D:\.

I feel sorry for you ****** internet owners. I download the full game in an hour.

I used to be able to do the same when I had Comcast 60mb with 250gb cap, but moved into the boonies and all I get here is AT&T ADSL 6mb with measly 150gb cap. It's like going from a Ferrari to a rusted out Pinto. When I move from California to Missouri to buy a house at the end of this year, the accessibility to fast internet is going to make or break which seller gets my cash.

Edited by Zorvan

Wait what? There's people who still do that? :confused:

You'd be surprised. Especially since software developers, including game developers like EAware, continue to have that as the default installation folder.

I have two folders on my D:\ drive, one named "Games" that holds the .iso backups I make of all install disks when I buy them because, in the event of a re-install being needed for a game, it's much more convenient and faster installing from the hard drive than the DVD drive, and one named "Games Playable" which holds all my installed games.

I'm planning on buying another drive for storage which I'll then move all the .iso files to.

Edited by Zorvan

I feel bad for anyone who has had problems, period. It sucks. I get it.

But what I don't understand...

I have never had a single issue, ever, with downloading and installing SWTOR.

I have zero issues with using program files. My downloading never gets stuck. My installing is never corrupt. I never get stuck at 99% or any of the other popular issues.

I seriously don't know how people manage to screw up their installations all the time. What are some of us doing right that others appear to be doing wrong?

And to boot, I am using a two year old dell that I ordered directly from them. Its not even some super elite custom built PC that you all proclaim is the ONLY way to game. (Obviously I keep it updated with modern components.)

Wait what? There's people who still do that? :confused:

What exactly is the issue in using native OS folders in general case?

Don't mess bad coding with bad location.

Most users/players have no idea even that they may do another partition hence to move/install some things like games in it. Not to mention clicking next with no reading.

So vendors tend to use as default path native OS folders... sane ones use native OS instruments also.

Those that make bad code are the reason for all that fuse about OS native folders.

If you have some IT backgrounds you know what needs to be put in OS folders and what can be moved out as have no need of total re installation in case of OS crash/change/reinstall.

If you are not experienced ... it is hard to start with games location before understand why they can be moved and why they have to be moved.