Assassins/melee DPS in Hard/Nightmare Ops

So i was having a discussion with guildies and felt it important to start this thread.

Basically the argument is that melee dps has no place in 8-man possibly even 16-man nightmare modes or even hard mode Operations. The only exception to that rule would be marauders due to blood thirst.

However, I feel assassins will work seeing as they do have high burst damage with the right gear and using the correct rotations as well as the fact they can spec madness to become a hybrid dps.

I feel this is an important subject because it happens in almost every MMO. Melee dps gets the boot because ranged dps is always the superior and better choice for many groups. Perhaps Bioware can be the ones to attempt to address this and finally make a change for those of us who wish to play melee dps and get into the most difficult raids.

For those of you who have completed 8-man Hard and Nightmare or even 16-man, is there a place for good and well geared melee DPS? Or are they doomed to spec tank just to be useful?

Thoughts?

Edited by sithusis

There's definitely a place for melee DPS. Might not be the most optimal, but hard/nightmare is completable with them without tooooo many stresses.

Having said that.. melee are, as usual, punished more by encounter mechanics.

4/5 hm also with 3 Marauders.

How ever we are all geared to the extreme, and from what i can tell play our classes to the limits.

We do lose alot of damage in important places because of our melees.

The worst is the Rancor boss, you lose SOOOO much damage due to his movement speed at times, we are still working on how to just tank him in Hm, but its extremly difficult since those slackers at bioware decided that showing us "target of target" would be pointless.

And SoA is another sad chapter for melee's we spend far to much time running to mindtraps, that can be on the other side of the room from where the freaking gavel drops.

Thank god they fixed Force charge vs SoA, but it is still a nightmare, and absolutely poor design.

And don't even get me started on dealing with the Balls of lightning when you have 4 people within melee range, I know we need to run trough them, but miss one and half the ops lose a ******** of hp.