STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Asia Pacific Launch

CourtneyWoods

I had to go EU because that's where friends went... but they've quit now so I'm really looking forward to this transfer. I'm in Hong Kong playing on an EU server with a ping of 350ms on a good day. Last time I pinged something in Sydney it was around 150ms , which is still 100ms lower than West Coast. Have to wait and get some real IP addresses to ping.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the FAQ:

Will you release the game in other countries in the Asia Pacific region?

We are carefully considering other countries in the Asia Pacific region. At the moment, our focus is Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore to make sure these players get a world class experience playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. We will be sure to keep you updated on http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com as we consider new release locations.

In other words if you are in Malyasia, Indonesia, Korea, Japan, Thailand or other countries in the region and would prefer to play on an ENGLISH speaking server then start making your presence know to EAware.

As somebody hinted at previously in this thread, the idea that the criteria for free-transferring characters to AUS servers is based entirely around your chosen country when originally registering your SWTOR account is absolutely inane, to say the least. As already stated, many of us (some for differing reasons: most thinking they'd be more likely to play beta; myself being an American in Sydney, who cares which I selected) listed our country as USA and later swapped it over to Australia once it was revealed they were inviting Oceanic players to beta.

Newsflash: A credit card billing address would be exactly the sort of hard info you'd need to determine whether or not someone actually lives in the targeted region. Why are you making this more difficult and convoluted than it needs to be?

It's almost like BW and/or EA is incapable of doing anything right at this point, and is actually searching for ways to create confusion and manufacture difficulty.

(If the description of the free-transfer criteria is poorly-worded and they actually do mean your current, listed country of residence prior to the deadline of Feb 28, then of course, everything's a-ok.)

BS. There's nothing wrong with the server populations.

Good story bro....log onto crevasse city at 9pm and /who fleet. Doesnt matter which faction you pick, you will get a number between 10-20.

I love how people on good servers say "theres no problem" give me a break

From the Games On Net Q & A

http://games.on.net/article/14905/SWTOR_Australian_Launch_Details_We_Speak_to_BioWare_About_All_Thing_Oz

What plans are in place for maintenance routines on the Australian servers? Will they follow the same downtime patterns as the US and European servers?

Grant: Any game updates or general maintenance will be performed across all worldwide locations simultaneously. Minimizing service downtime is something that we take very seriously and we will continue to evaluate the timing of all of our maintenance windows to ensure that they are performed at times that will impact the fewest players possible. Our goal is to continue to offer the same quality and reliability as we have up to this point.

Clueless BioWare. How can they justify taking the servers down during peak play times? It's things like this where they clearly show how amateurish they are at MMOs.

You are also wrong.

http://games.on.net/article/14905/SWTOR_Australian_Launch_Details_We_Speak_to_BioWare_About_All_Things_Oz

Can you explain more about where, physically, the Australian SWTOR servers are located, and what sort of ping Australians can expect to receive to these new servers?

Grant: We're having the servers located within Australia, which will certainly allow Australian, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore customers to take advantage of decreased network latency and improved performance. Of course performance is dependent upon many variables that are outside our control including a player’s computer hardware, network configuration, and internet connection speed so it will ultimately vary from person to person.

It's a third party article and no offense I want a statement on here anything else is heresay.

Again this whole thing is useless unless friends from the EU, that would want to, can join with us and their toons. Again why is there no option for those to have paid transfers done?

And yes BW cannot do anything right at present. *** is wrong with them?

Now we are stuck on the EU servers until they come to senses. Oh wait there will be paid transfers and all Aussies that chose to wait can pay then too. God you guys truly suck!

I sense bad things with this...glad ppl getting their region specific servers, but I'm on jekk jekk tarr and already have huge problems finding groups for flashpoints and hm's. Now my server pop is going to take a huge hit and no people coming in to replace the numbers leaving? This is going to screw my server population so bad!

-1 on implementation of this post launch and breaking up already established communities! Bad move BW

You are also wrong.

http://games.on.net/article/14905/SWTOR_Australian_Launch_Details_We_Speak_to_BioWare_About_All_Things_Oz

Can you explain more about where, physically, the Australian SWTOR servers are located, and what sort of ping Australians can expect to receive to these new servers?

Grant: We're having the servers located within Australia, which will certainly allow Australian, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore customers to take advantage of decreased network latency and improved performance. Of course performance is dependent upon many variables that are outside our control including a player’s computer hardware, network configuration, and internet connection speed so it will ultimately vary from person to person.

If the servers are located in Australia, then those of us who live in Asia will get worse latency than US servers. I use SpeedTest and get around 140 ms to US West Coast, however it's at least 250 - 320 ms to connect to Sydney, Australia. It's the same for you if the servers were located in Singapore or Hong Kong. I assume this is because there is no fiber-optic backbone between Asia and Australia, so all information has to route all the way to the US first.

If this is the case, I assume most people from Asian-Pacific region won't transfer. You simply cannot do any sort of end-game play with a 300+ ping latency.

Frankly, putting Oceanic and Asia-Pacific together into the same region is a bad idea. Bioware should consider splitting servers and clearly marking them Oceanic or Asian, and the physical servers in their respective geographic locations.

Good story bro....log onto crevasse city at 9pm and /who fleet. Doesnt matter which faction you pick, you will get a number between 10-20.

I love how people on good servers say "theres no problem" give me a break

Agreed Alot of the "Standard" servers are low low population servers i already have a 50 who cant run anything due to low population im headed to a HEAVY server as soon as xfer is available already leveling a Jedi on Mind Tricks much better population..

Interserver pvp and flashpoint ops etc ques are Required not just needed

BIOWARE/EA, so do you have any plans of adding a real Singapore or Hong Kong server instead of just chucking everyone in a Australian server??

I wouldn't mind paying good $$ for an actual <50 ms server :D

I hope the mods can feedback this to those in charge.

Edited by donetello

Will those of us who own the game be able to log onto these servers as soon as they are up? I realize that transfers will be coming later but I would like to be able to log on and reserve my character names. If I can't get my names on any Oceanic servers I likely won't transfer.

If the servers are located in Australia, then those of us who live in Asia will get worse latency than US servers. I use SpeedTest and get around 140 ms to US West Coast, however it's at least 250 - 320 ms to connect to Sydney, Australia. It's the same for you if the servers were located in Singapore or Hong Kong. I assume this is because there is no fiber-optic backbone between Asia and Australia, so all information has to route all the way to the US first.

If this is the case, I assume most people from Asian-Pacific region won't transfer. You simply cannot do any sort of end-game play with a 300+ ping latency.

Frankly, putting Oceanic and Asia-Pacific together into the same region is a bad idea. Bioware should consider splitting servers and clearly marking them Oceanic or Asian, and the physical servers in their respective geographic locations.

and its a well known fact among online gamers in the asia pacific region that au/nz latency to their area is terrible. only au/nz players will benefit from this new servers since it is located in australia.

did bioware/ea research this fact first before setting up a common regional server cluster?

Edited by xpactor

new Zeland austrailia great...

Hong Kong China...Here comes the flood of illegal hacks credit sellers and scammers

How you figure that? Hong Kong is completely separate from china. you just look ignorant posting crap like that...

Secondly... Where will they buy it? There are none official retailers selling it in Singapore or Hong Kong.

Why don't you wait with spewing racist remarks until (and if necessary) after the release?

Edited by GordonGekko

How you figure that? Hong Kong is completely separate from china. you just look ignorant posting crap like that...

Secondly... Where will they buy it? There are none official retailers selling it in Singapore or Hong Kong.

Why don't you wait with spewing racist remarks until (and if necessary) after the release?

Download? :jawa_confused: