KOTET endings?

SuddenSunder

I just need someone to clarify some things near the ending of KOTET, so spoilers ahead.

I've reached the chapter where you can choose to kill Arcann (For real this time.)

I'm doing my best to keep my toon in character, a Imperial agent who hates being in charge, just wants to follow orders and will do anything he sees fit to further a mission and bring glory to the Sith Empire. He hasn't once listened to Valkorion and fully intends on killing his family. Yet when I decided to kill Arcann, my Imp ended up making a speech about taking the throne. I quickly hit the escape key, but I'm left rather confused. Now, I don't know how this game works, or how many endings there are, but does killing Arcann and Vaylin automatically equal you taking the throne? Is there even anyway to not take the throne? I want to look this up but at the same time I don't want to find too many spoilers.

Anyway, thank you for reading and have a lovely day.

Thank you so much! It really sounded like I didn't have a choice in that chapter.

There's a small but extremely spoilerish point that was left out, concerning taking the throne.

The second spoiler box contains the actual text. But it is extremely spoilerish.

At the end of Chapter IX of KotET, you can choose to take the throne and rule as Emperor / Empress of the Eternal Alliance, or you can choose to take charge (although not exactly take the throne), and work with one and all as a peace-maker. You cannot refuse to be in charge.

I was a bit disappointed by one aspect.

Later narrative elements suggest strongly that for at least one person, the Emperor / Empress route means "Rule with a fist of iron in a spiked gauntlet of durasteel" rather than "fist of steel in a velvet glove". (That is, I wanted to be able to use the Eternal Fleet to impose peace.)