Why did you change mods/enhancements to be slot locked?

BlueWanderer

I know people have asked this inside other threads, but I don't think there is a thread specifically to ask this question...

These are good questions, so let me try to address them.

1 - This is an intended change. That being said, we know there is definitely some friction from this change and so keep raising your concerns/feedback which I can pass to the team. We have made no secret of the fact that we know we are due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues around gearing. Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in SWTOR. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

-eric

So, the 252/258 mods and enhancements are slot locked "intentionally". However, people can still min/max by acquiring different specs of gear for that slot, so that a dps that doesn't want accuracy could just get the dps piece and the healer piece for that slot and use the armoring/mod from the dps piece and the enhancement from the healer piece, or the player could use a lower tier enhancement (crafted or not).

Therefore this change just makes it harder/more expensive/longer to min/max your gear, it doesn't stop people from having min/maxed gear. It doesn't stop dps from having 0 accuracy, nor tanks from having dps mods in their gear, or players having different enhancements than what comes with pieces for their class/spec.

So, why? Why would they intentionally make a change that doesn't stop anyone from doing something, it just slows them down?

I know people have asked this inside other threads, but I don't think there is a thread specifically to ask this question...

So, the 252/258 mods and enhancements are slot locked "intentionally". However, people can still min/max by acquiring different specs of gear for that slot, so that a dps that doesn't want accuracy could just get the dps piece and the healer piece for that slot and use the armoring/mod from the dps piece and the enhancement from the healer piece, or the player could use a lower tier enhancement (crafted or not).

Therefore this change just makes it harder/more expensive/longer to min/max your gear, it doesn't stop people from having min/maxed gear. It doesn't stop dps from having 0 accuracy, nor tanks from having dps mods in their gear, or players having different enhancements than what comes with pieces for their class/spec.

So, why? Why would they intentionally make a change that doesn't stop anyone from doing something, it just slows them down?

Bold and highlighted in red, you answered your own question.

In another thread, Falensawino figured it might be a tactic from BW to get everyone to use up their saved UCs before 6.0.

Produce a "throwaway" tier of gear that is vastly expensive in terms of an endgame currency. People that have been hoarding thousands upon thousands of UCs have something they could spend it on.

6.0 finally drops and the total amount of unspent UCs has been vastly reduced, and more people are at the "beginning" of the gear reset.

It's a plausible enough theory.

In another thread, Falensawino figured it might be a tactic from BW to get everyone to use up their saved UCs before 6.0.

Produce a "throwaway" tier of gear that is vastly expensive in terms of an endgame currency. People that have been hoarding thousands upon thousands of UCs have something they could spend it on.

6.0 finally drops and the total amount of unspent UCs has been vastly reduced, and more people are at the "beginning" of the gear reset.

It's a plausible enough theory.

Not really - UCs can and almost certainly will simply be replaced with a new currency.

Because they aren't coming out with any new actually enjoyable content and apparently new gear to chase keeps subs, if you believe what everyone was telling me when i was one of just a few voices of discontent several months ago.

Slot locking enhancements just makes the grind longer, and by the same logic, keeps your sub longer, right?!

I sincerly hope I do not have to point out the gaping logical hole for you, Musco.

Does the answer truly matter? People that arent willing to accept their answer still wont accept it even if a reason is given.

I accepted their answer. Already assumed their answer. Assumed it while on PTS and questioned this with no response. My issue isn't even the "WHY". I already know the "WHY". Slow down progress. Make it more convoluted, therefore taking longer to grind.

My gripe is stop being so smug, secretive and just inform your intent. Stop waiting for all hell to break loss to explain in a cryptic condescending manner. If you even explain at all. This change is as, if not more important then the VotMG getting Master Mode.

I'm gonna play regardless so treat me like a monthly paying adult and inform me from go. Just stop lying like your player base are a bunch of window lickers.

The funny thing about all this is on PTS they allowed you to buy Enhancements to replace the Accuracy from an annoying droid that wouldn't stop moving.:confused:

Edited by -Highsteel-

My gripe is stop being so smug, secretive and just inform your intent. Stop waiting for all hell to break loss to explain in a cryptic condescending manner. If you even explain at all.

Thats not how the business industry works. Hard choices are made quite often in business, but most good businesses dont massively announce the unpopular changes their customers before giving them a chance to potentially react positively to the change.

Edit - and u can still replace the accuracy enhancements

Edited by olagatonjedi

This "to slow down gearing" only hurts people like me who barely manages 237 Gear Rating. Being noobish, I don't see them not going back the normal get piece of gear and then min/max with earpieces/relics/implants and augments to make the difference.

Yeah, I don't have the credits to jump from 236 pieces to 258's so my Grind is way longer.

Edit - and u can still replace the accuracy enhancements

Did you just glance through what I said and then hurry to respond? No offense but it sure seems so.

I understand that you can still replace them, hence this statement - "Slow down progress. Make it more convoluted, therefore taking longer to grind."

I understand you can grind a Healer alt, get more shards, get the 252 shell, get more shards, get the 258, place in legacy, move to other. All the while not even gaining a single piece for the said healer that was needed to be used for another toon, which already used shards for the piece with the Accuracy enhancements.

Why even have the droid on PTS in the first place making it seem, due to lack of information, that it's a work in progress and it'll be fixed soon? Dont add it and give a false sense.

Why did I even have to write that out?

2. I understand how Big Businesses work, but this one my friend has what is called a (PUBLIC TEST SERVER). Are we even discussing the samethings here?

You work for Musco by chance?

Edited by -Highsteel-

Did you just glance through what I said and then hurry to respond? No offense but it sure seems so.

I understand that you can still replace them, hence this statement - "Slow down progress. Make it more convoluted, therefore taking longer to grind."

I understand you can grind a Healer alt, get more shards, get the 252 shell, get more shards, get the 258, place in legacy, move to other. All the while not even gaining a single piece for the said healer that was needed to be used for another toon, which already used shards for the piece with the Accuracy enhancements.

Why even have the droid on PTS in the first place making it seem, due to lack of information, that it's a work in progress and it'll be fixed soon? Dont add it and give a false sense.

Why did I even have to write that out?

2. I understand how Big Businesses work, but this one my friend has what is called a (PUBLIC TEST SERVER). Are we even discussing the samethings here?

You work for Musco by chance?

I dont work for Musco. Im just a logical, unopinionated, unbiased thinker.

Edited by olagatonjedi

Does the answer truly matter? People that arent willing to accept their answer still wont accept it even if a reason is given.

There is a difference between accepting and agreeing with an answer. I am curious what the reason for the change was, I might not agree that it was a good idea to do it or that they change doesn't accomplish the stated goal, but I'll accept whatever they say...

Right now, it just doesn't make any sense. I accomplishes nothing beyond adding more effort to accomplish something that will just widen the gap between the really hard core players (as in players that can make multiple alts of the same class and have them all do the weeklies) compared to more casual players...

I dont work for Musco. Im just a logical, unopinionated, unbiased thinker.

No human being is unopinionated or unbiased. We're people, not machines. Stop trying to claim some sort of intellectual or moral superiority while you attempt to drag threads down argumentative rabbit holes and drown out actual feedback.

White knight troll in the dungeon, do not engage.

Edited by AscendingSky

I do think it matters at least in regards to them also asking for feedback about it. If they actually tell us what their goals are with these changes then maybe we can give better feedback than just "reverse this change".