MOBA Style Warzone!!!

Zidovain

Would you be referring to Alterac Valley?? That was some crazy stuff there. I think it's a 16v16 or 20v20! lol

Even though PvP was dominated by the best gear when I played the game I would have to say say that WOW's battlegrounds were pretty unique,big,worthwhile and fun. I don't like PvP t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ at all in this game for a number of reasons. One is because the maps just appear to be to small for me. But the biggest reason why I dislike PvP in this game is because of the toxic people you can run into and there are a lot of people out there that seem to think that it's 1v1 instead of team play and get pretty vocal when you supposedly "kill steal" from them.

Edited by Bakgrind

Well, ANYTHING is better and more creative than that recent reskin that they actually and with an impudent attitude tried to sell us as a new warzone...Isn't it true? Edited by Khaleg

Even though PvP was dominated by the best gear when I played the game I would have to say say that WOW's battlegrounds were pretty unique,big,worthwhile and fun. I don't like PvP t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ at all in this game for a number of reasons. One is because the maps just appear to be to small for me. But the biggest reason why I dislike PvP in this game is because of the toxic people you can run into and there are a lot of people out there that seem to think that it's 1v1 instead of team play and get pretty vocal when you supposedly "kill steal" from them.

That is a sad fact. The PvP player base is mostly populated with toxic individuals who have too much free time.

Well, ANYTHING is better and more creative than that recent reskin that they actually and with an impudent attitude tried to sell us as a new warzone...Isn't it true?

Indeed! I very much prefer something different than a reskin :D of any other warzone. My hopes of getting this implemented remain positive. I just hope BW sees it like many of us do and put it on the drawing board.

Taking in to consideration, the gaming population might not be able to handle largely populated warzones. Getting pops on the usual 8v8 regs takes between 5-15 mins on average (give or take). So a 16v16 or higher might be a bit of a tall order considering this Q's. However, that would be immensely fun, wouldn't it??

I would think the usual 8v8 or perhaps 12v12 would be optimal in this scenario. On a positive note, provided a very high fun factor could re ignite the SWtoR flames will have increase the gaming population making 16v16's or more likely to happen.

• 1 month later...
Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA)

As the title says. I propose a warzone desigend as such. MOBA's is and have been a very popular gaming platform for years now. I would think, SWToR should tap in it. Yes yes, before any violent reactions, just hear me out for a bit :wea_01:

This is something that just hit me and I wanted to share it right away, that said, I wouldn't have in-depth mechanics in place to spice up your imagination. However I will have few details as how I imagine it to be in the typical MOBA style setting. That said, the map will have this typical layout:

http://i68.tinypic.com/orkow0.png

Mechanics:

1) 5v5 or 8v8??

2) There will only be a finite number of "creep waves". This will keep us in the 12-15 minute warzone like a civil war or a voidstar. So I'm thinking 3 to 5 waves.

3) Each wave gets stronger every time they spawn. May consist of Sith and Jedi, rancors, wampas, super droids and the likes. Finally a "HERO" will join the last and final wave. For the Empire it's (but not limited to) Darth Malgus and for the Republic it's (but not limited to) Satele Shan. Each HERO will remain at the base to defend it until the final wave where the hero will join the wave and go on the offensive.

4) The objective is to ultimately destroy the enemy base (shocker).

5) Players respawn at the base and the respawn time go up by 10 seconds every time they die. This will eventually allow one side to successfully make a "PUSH" into the base.

I know the idea is crude and the details are minimal. But I think it's enough to give us a picture of how it works. IMHO it can be really fun. :D

How friggen cool would that be? I think I'm getting a stiffy. Awesome idea.

How friggen cool would that be? I think I'm getting a stiffy. Awesome idea.

ROFL! Way to get that stiffy! Reminds me, when posting this idea, I think I may have had one too. Not the creepy kind, but a wholesome one! :D

Edited by Zidovain

I think the coming PvP Stronghold (which will also have a guild version, per Keith) covers this, and leaves it in the hands of the players to organize it and set the game field for it to their exact liking.

A MOBA is typically a fairly small number of players, 3-5 is typical per side, with 4 being the most common.

This means that it could be fit into SWTOR as a modification of Arenas. You'd need modified win conditions, the PvE elements (NPC waves, destructible objectives), and probably maps about mid way in size between the arena maps and the WZ maps.

Where MOBAs are really fundamentally different though, is in gearing/leveling scaling. For MOBAs normally everyone starts out at the same level and gearset, and that is either preserved through the entire game (subject to powerups in some cases), or the players are rewarded with gear and/or levels for play achievements while playing the match. So while by the end of a match things might be badly lopsided in favor of one team, they earned that advantage by superior play during the match. SWTOR has a very different gearing system that rewards time played above all else. So if one were after a true MOBA style experience, there would need to be some sort of gear bolster/normalization operating so that teams started on an even footing gear wise. Ideally, you'd even have a lobby interface where a player could pick which character they want to use of their level appropriate characters, or at the very least a quick respec window pre-match. The point being that picking team composition should matter, player skill should matter, but ideally gear should be neutral as a factor at match start.

It's an interesting idea at least in terms of answering the concerns of the, "PvP should just be about skill," crowd. I suspect there would be complaints anyhow, but with gear normalization and pre-match respec SWTOR could probably be used as the platform for a perfectly good MOBA game mode.

In terms of features RTS ----- MOBA ------ MMORPG are on a spectrum that blends fairly well into one another.

The classic example is Warcraft III where the maps were edited to be effectively single hero campaigns, which lead to DOTA type maps, and then the engine was expanded upon and turned in to WoW (interesting note, though the official system reqs were higher, for many years any computer that could handle WCIII could also play WoW with graphics settings on low and a lousy frame rate because the underlying engine was the same).

The real question is this: Given the significant resources that making a MOBA mode in SWTOR would require, would it attract/retain enough paying customers to be worth the effort?

The game can handle it, given enough time to work on it the devs are capable of making a nice polished MOBA, but is there a business case for it?

Edited by Ramalina

• 7 months later...