Holding pieces on an alt to refund later...?

AndriusAjax

I'm kind of sharing a strategy here, but also probing for any potential problems that I may have doing this...

When I have spare Tech Frags I like to spend them on the Kai vendor for his discounted random pieces. I already have my DPS set and tacticals finished up, and I'm really not aiming for anything on my main toon anymore. I was about to start buying pieces for alts, but wasnt quite sure what to get...

So instead, I decided to buy his discounted inventory when I had extra TFs. But when his shop is down, I don't really know what to do with my spare frags... So yesterday I jumped on a toon that I hardly ever play, and started buying random 3k pieces from the static vendors when I would get close to 5,000 TFs.

I have about 4 random tacticals in his inventory. My plan is, when I finally figure out what sets or tacs I want to buy, or if they ultimately start releasing new tacs and set bonus pieces, this could become a system I employ to make sure I can buy the new sets as soon as they launch. So yeah, let's say I figure out that I want to get a certain set on my sage, or let's say that Kai opens up his inventory and has an interesting piece, I could pop over to this "holding" toon and start slowly refunding those items and buying the pieces that I do want - as the refund timers stay pretty healthy if you don't play that particular toon.

Is there a flaw here? I'm worried that one day I'll log in and all those refund timers will be gone, and I'll have a bunch of pieces I don't really want...

I know I could juggle this stuff on one of my primary toons and just keep the refund timers healthy via buying and refunding new ones, but that seems ripe for forgetting and getting stuck with certain pieces. I figure doing it on a rarely played character will keep the refund timers as low as possible and manageable if I ever do need to reset one.

Edited by AndriusAjax

I have not tried what you described for this patch (it is interesting). However, there was a similar process in 2.0 where players would use a similar process in order to buy a full set of expertise ranked gear when they got to max level. I assume the dangers are the same. You must actually refund each item before the timer expires or else you will be stuck with all the pieces. Additionally, although I am not certain, I think the timer is legacy wide, not character wide.

Additionally, although I am not certain, I think the timer is legacy wide, not character wide.

I just checked out my holding character, and the timers are still looking good. And I played other characters for several hours after I bought the pieces.

But yeah, if you mean the timer would count had I transferred the pieces to another toon, I agree. But it seems like if you keep it in the characters personal inventory, the timer stays tied to that character's game time. It would be interesting to see what happens if you decided to put them in your legacy storage... I suspect it would count down in that case.

[edit: yea, it wont transfer into legacy storage while the refund timer is active - says "item is bound" when you try. Looks like this is a good way to go - buy spare pieces on a rarely used lvl-75 and, when needed, refund and re-buy to reset the timer, or refund and buy a piece that you've determined that you want]

Edited by AndriusAjax

Yes, we used to do this system with WZ comms. We would buy PVP vendor weapons that were 900 WZ comms iirc, then we would just save them in our inventories then resell before the timer ran out.

This enabled us to PVP from 10-65, get to cap level and then buy nearly a full suit of BiS PVP gears which back then took TONS of WZ comms. The only danger was forgetting weapons needed refreshed on the vendor!

lol I forgot once, lost about 30-35 weapons. I know nearly every PVPer back then did this, and most forgot at one point or another to refresh the timers.

I would do this too but I think the only time I lost more than 10 was when they released 4.0, I think. They said in the patch they would remove all timers so players could not be bliss the first day. Pissed off a few guild mates of mine and they quit because of it. But if you do it right, that should be the only way you could be screwed.

Wow. This is even better than 2.0 because the tokens in this case are legacy bound. Which means I can make a level 1 char to hold all my gear and maybe never need to refund.

Wow. Didn't think of this. Good tip.

I don't think you can transfer pieces that have a timer.

I don't think you can transfer pieces that have a timer.

Yeah, like the others are saying, you don't really need to.

And I'm not sure about mailing items with a refund timer, Eastiano... I know that it would not let me put such an item in my Legacy Storage, saying it was bound. So I wonder if trying to mail the item would work the same way.

In either event, my only goal in doing this is to buy random pieces. I don't care what they are, set bonus, tactical, whatever. Just as long as it costs 3000 TFs and is refundable. That way, I can return to that character and redeem refunds when I'm ready to splurge.

[ you'll want to be careful to only refund one item at a time, or you may spill over your 5000 limit]

I don't know if anyone was using this same scheme with the specific set pieces and tacticals from the class vendors, but if so it looks like tomorrows patch is going to kill that...

"Set Bonus gear and Tactical items purchased from the Class vendors on the fleet can no longer be refunded".

I don't see anything in the patch notes about fixing any of the drop rates for gear that are total crap. But they are blocking a way to store up tech fragments? :rolleyes:

I don't know if anyone was using this same scheme with the specific set pieces and tacticals from the class vendors, but if so it looks like tomorrows patch is going to kill that...

"Set Bonus gear and Tactical items purchased from the Class vendors on the fleet can no longer be refunded".

I don't see anything in the patch notes about fixing any of the drop rates for gear that are total crap. But they are blocking a way to store up tech fragments? :rolleyes:

That sucks considering half the tacticals have poor write ups:

"Overwhelming Offense

Dealing damage increases all damage done for 2 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times."

I bought that and used it just to see how crappy it was before refunding it. Looks like now we'll be stuck with all crappy tacticals that failed to have a decent write-up.

Edited by AndriusAjax

You have a bit over 4 hours to repent your sins.

:)

It's not new. This has been done multiple times before to stop players getting around token storage limits.

A bit of notice would have been good so people don’t get burnt.

We actually explained and TOLD THEM ON THE PTS that people would do this to get around their petty tech frag limit.

Did they listen on the pts or 8 weeks before launch. Nope. And I wasn’t the only one who told them people would do this.

So they should have been considerate and given players notice they were going to do this. It’s not like we were exploiting the system. We were playing the game as it was designed !

why do you need to save up? there is only a couple of sets per class, it's usually pretty clear what one will be used. Only some cases like where sorcs healer set(s) kind of sucks do you even actually have to think about whether you want to go the 4 piece and another 2 piece for more alacrity or maybe even just run gathering storm on healer too. For most classes it's a lot more straightforward

why do you need to save up? there is only a couple of sets per class, it's usually pretty clear what one will be used. Only some cases like where sorcs healer set(s) kind of sucks do you even actually have to think about whether you want to go the 4 piece and another 2 piece for more alacrity or maybe even just run gathering storm on healer too. For most classes it's a lot more straightforward

Well for example, I was about to gear up my VG after hearing positive things about them... then I realized it was just propaganda to crutch the argument against nerfing sins. They still have the same problems as always, great DPS, terrible survivability. So I'm glad I waited. And the only reason I waited was because I was able to store those pieces another character.

Another reason, and this is likely why it shouldn't be allowed, is that I was going to save a bunch on an alternate character for when they ultimately release new set bonus pieces/tacticals.

But mostly it's just because, outside of my main, I don't really know what's good/fun right now. Sure, we hear a lot of things about sins, lightning sorcs, Ops, but I might want to gear my healer, maybe my sniper, or my guardian. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to start working on next, and I wouldn't become sure until there's more literature out there, which is going to take some time.

Edit: and I thought I read that some of the tacticals / sets aren't even working.. I wanted to wait and see which ones are actually working in war zones before buying

Edited by AndriusAjax