Unlocking Hard Mode Operations

I apologize if this question has indeed been answered, but I could not find it in the search function or google.

My question is, does a player need to of completed the story mode of an operation to attend the hard mode version of that operation?

For example, I have not completed KP normal mode, so would I be able to attend a hard mode run of someone else's op?

When you look into your lockout tab, it lists availability to even hard modes even if you haven't completed the normal mode first.

Thanks in advance.

So I think I've answered my own question.

Someone yesterday told me you cannot do a hard mode Op without doing the normal mode first.

I asked a guild made to group with me, and I set it to ops > Hard mode.

It changed the instance entrance to purple with the hard mode symbol and I was able to zone in. So apparently, if this is correct, you do not need to complete story mode first.

It changed the instance entrance to purple with the hard mode symbol and I was able to zone in. So apparently, if this is correct, you do not need to complete story mode first.

Correct

• 6 years later...
how do you change it to hard mode. is it the difficulty preference mode option?

the group leader gets the option and can access it by right clicking on his avatar.

your personal difficulty option is for story chapters like KOTFE.

regarding your first question: i would honestly prefer a system where you have to do the story mode to be able to run hardmode. 99% of groups expecting you to get story mode archivements before running hardmode anyway, and it would help people to determine their own skill level.

on the other hand tho, most story modes dont have any difficult mechanics and therefor dont preper you for hardmode anymore.

Edited by mrphstar